e-mailing photos

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
gardon

e-mailing photos

Postby gardon » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:03 pm

Can anyone explain what is the best way to e-mail photos, especially if the reciptant does not have broadband. My camera is an Olympus C-725 and we are using the camedia software that came with it.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Going to check this one out a bit later this evening but are you thinking of sending just the odd photo or two or are you sending a batch of pictures of an event. I have a program I which I think can do a whole folder of pictures in one pass. The software is to reduce the size (in storage terms) of web page images so they load faster but it should also work with email and dial up lines.What email program are you using as i believe Outlook Express has a "reducing" facility built into it, again I'll have to check.

Another alternative would be to load the pictures to a free web based storage and then email people and tell them they are there so they go look at quarter size images only expanding it to full size if they wish. More details later

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:58 pm

The most important thing is to make the file size as small as possible. If the recipient wishes to view them on screen rather than print them you should reduce the resolution to 96dpi which is the same as a typical monitor.

Depending on your camera settings most pictures will probably come out at about 300dpi so reducing the resolution will make a big difference to the file size and, therefore, download times. If your software will do it you can then reduce the size at which the picture will display - 800 pixels equates to approx 8.3 in at 96 dpi.

If the software that came with your camera there are a couple of freeware programs that may be worth looking at Irfanview and Photofiltre both of which you can download from

http://www.pctoptips.co.uk/software.html#PICTURE%20&%20IMAGE%20EDITING

It sounds complicated but is actually pretty straightforward and you should be able to get to grips with the basics in about half an hour.

Filippos.

PS If the recipient wants print quality images and is working with dial-up it might be worth considering putting the pics on CD or DVD and mailing them. Windows XP includes the facility to 'burn' CDs in Media Player so, if you don't want anything too sophisticated, you don't need to invest in new software.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:39 pm

reduce the resolution to 96dpi

Reducing (or altering) the resolution will have no effect whatsoever on screen viewing. Reducing the pixel overall size will. If you don't believe it, save the same image at 800 pixels width (or whatever you choose) in a different resolution and view them side by side: it will be the same picture.

Of course, if you print that's a different story altogether

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:15 pm

The software I mentioned is freeware, called PIXresizer downloadable from here

http://bluefive.pair.com/downloads.htm

Irfanview which has already been recommended has a batch conversion option too.

The thing to do is experiment to see what the results are. One reduction I did was really low quality, so small, but the output was unacceptable and so unuseable.

The other alternative is Flickr.......this should get you somewhere near the page to set up your free account http://www.flickr.com/

The idea then is for you to place your pictures on the board, it doesn't have to be public, and then just an ordinary email telling your friends where the pictures are and they can go to them. Its quite simple and quite easy after a bit of experimentation.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Perhaps I put it badly, Jean. I did say that if the camera produces a picture at 300dpi changing it to 96 dpi will make a big difference to the file size. Where I maybe confused was by carrying straight on to image size in the way I did.

My chosen default camera settings produce an image 1600 x 1200 which (on my monitor display settings and the software I use) can mean a bit of scrolling so for convenience I reduce the size to 800 x 600 for screen viewing. With my settings 800dpi is about 8.3 inches. I just never thought about other display settings.

Filippos.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 am

I understand Philip but f you know how to alter the size of your image by altering the dpi (or ppi) you might just as well alter the pixels width and height right away to exactly what you want.

As to the original poster...he might want to try Picassa which has an email sizing function. I haven't tested it because all my stuff is done with Bibble and Photoshop but it's a free program so no big risk trying it.
See specifically http://picasa.google.com/features/features-share.html

gardon

Postby gardon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 am

Many thanks for those replies and ideas, I will do some downloading and spend the rest of the day experimenting.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:13 pm

Gardon, I've got the Camedia software but never really used it.

Whilst I do have other photo album software ACDSee), I save all my pics in folders within "My Pictures". Then, what I find is really simple for emailing pictures is to click on the photo you want to email and in the XP task pane on left hand side under "File and Folder Tasks" click on "email this file" and you will get a pop-up box that gives you the option to "make all my pictures smaller" - click ok and then an email will appear with the photo attached and ready for you to amend the text and send. Simple!!

gardon

Postby gardon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:10 pm

thank you for all your recommendations. We have tried out flickr.com and it works great, you do need friends/family to join it so they can access photos.

Forgot to mention but whilst we are on broadband we do not use outlook express as I am unable to open an account (must be our lack of computer knoweldge and the jardon - pop3 etc.,) and therefore use Yahoo as our default email for sending mail/photos

Regarding the camedia programme, you can downsize your photos but for sending via email it goes straight to outlook express.

Many thanks once again for all your valid information.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 pm

It's better if you DON'T email photos at all. Simply upload them to your web space and tell your friends the URL. This is very simple with an Apple Mac. (I don't own a Windows PC so can't advise on that).

Example: http://www.pictures-of-boats.com/GP14_P ... zance.html

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:20 am

Just as easy on a PC but not everyone has web space - look at the membership list on any general interest forum and you'll see that most people don't have their own domain (or, at least, don't announce the fact).

Of course, there are always sites like http://www.flickr.com/ that can be used.

Filippos.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am

thats what flickr does Martim. the solution that gardon took up except they are managed, thumbnailed,and sized by flickr.

Friends and family dont need to join if you leave the pictures public

If you go to the flickr main page at www.flickr.com and in the search box put phooper then search on tags you will get all those I have tagged with phooper. No need to join.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:39 pm

[quote="MartinP"]It's better if you DON'T email photos at all. Simply upload them to your web space and tell your friends the URL. This is very simple with an Apple Mac. (I don't own a Windows PC so can't advise on that).

Hello Martin, glad to see that you are back in forum circulation.

I must watch my grammar & spelling more closely from now on. :roll:

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:22 pm

We all have a cross to bear (now), Elaine.

Filippos.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”