back up software

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
rampanthorse

back up software

Postby rampanthorse » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Paul
can you recommend some good backup software. free if possible.
I need to rebuild my laptop (yes again)
I have now bought a very large usb backup disk so what i want to do is build my laptop, add all the software i use, set all the settings i want and then create a full backup of the laptop so when things go wrong again i can go back to a virgin laptop setup but with all my software and settings in place.
I am using xp.
i know there is the restore function but it wont keep that setup for ever.
Barry

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:15 am

A one off purchase of Acronis True Image will be worth it's weight in gold. Look it up on the net and see what it does and I can vouch for the accuracy of what it says.
All the techies use it and it's worth the 50 euros just to have something that works in so many different ways. 100% better and more reliable (in accurate recovery) than Norton Ghost
I've used it for about 3 years solid now so next to no experience of free backup utilities. Quite frankly, backup and subsequent accurate recovery is too important to put into the hands of a free utility and hope it does what it says. I know Acronis works, I've done it so many times on my machines and other people's.
Acronis is a one off payment not an annual subscription but you don't get newer versions they have to be bought too
Of course you have to have something of some size to put the backup image onto too but you have that.

Restore function only restores System files it is not a backup of your laptop or pc.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:18 pm

paulh wrote:A one off purchase of Acronis True Image will be worth it's weight in gold...

Computer Shopper rated this five stars and a Best Buy.

Warwick

Kilkis

Re: back up software

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:22 pm

rampanthorse wrote:...
I need to rebuild my laptop (yes again)...

Fancy rebuilding mine when you've finished? Hard disk failed. Got a new one but it looks like there is a problem with the cooling. Fans never speed up. Starts OK but after a short time it crashes with a scrambled screen. I'm happy poking about in a desktop but never really worked out how to go about stripping a laptop down.

Warwick

rampanthorse

Postby rampanthorse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:33 am

sorry Kilkis, when i say rebuild i mean software reinstall from scratch.
Paul when you do a restore with the software does it replace whats on the disk or do you have to delete everything 1st and if the disk is empty where do you run the program from?
Barry

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:55 am

thats the good thing about Acronis, it has a facility to make itself and of course run itself on a bootable disc and you can make a few of these when you first get the software. Wipe your HDD, reformat it even then Boot from the cd and you can navigate to your external hard drive and do a restore (of your backup previously taken with Acronis)

john4d

Postby john4d » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Paul

Looking at Play.com there seems to be a few alternatives with Acronis True Image

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/6-/Search.ht ... chsource=0

which one do you recommend?

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:26 pm

As I said I have had my version 3 years now so it is none of these. Reading them through I would look at the 2011 versions as there seems little reason to buy the older 2009 product.

What is the big difference between the two 2011 offerings. In terms of what you would want to do with it probably very little but I note that the Plus version can handle USB3. Not a lot of that about at the moment but it will come and I'd expect the Acronis to be in use at least 3 years if not much longer so the significantly speedier USB3 should be standard in it's lifetime and will make a significant difference to time taken.

So I'd go for the plus but there again I do this a lot more and I don't really think you'd miss out too much using the standard version (that is from reading the blurbs not from hands on usage)

just some thoughts...

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 am

Warwick wrote
Starts OK but after a short time it crashes with a scrambled screen

The heat will effect your Laptop, on the table no air can circulate. You need to purchase a cooling pad that has extra fans to aid with the cooling of the Main Board. A cheap alternative is to place the laptop on top of a dish and in the dish place an Ice block.

Use the cooling fan all year round. Once the Laptop crashed due to overheating, the damage is done.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Kind of you to reply, Mike, but did you happen to look at the date on the thread? That beast went to laptop heaven a long time ago. I built a desktop from scratch a few months before that post and I'm still using that but I am thinking of building a new one. That was based on an i5 760 and I'll probably go for an i5 11600.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”