INTERNET CONNECTION

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
suebob

INTERNET CONNECTION

Postby suebob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Message for PaulH

Hi PaulH
We are just about to move from near Kalyves to near Plaka - is there any system I can use for access to internet with my wireless thingy if I maintain the OTE payments or is it directly linked to the telephone line, which, as I am sure you are aware is going to be a long wait for the telephone line to be transferred.

Many thanks

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:28 pm

sorry your adsl is tied into a specific telephone number so you would have to have a new telephone line and transfer your current number to it. Like you say that could be ages (years)

The other point is how long was your original agreement with OTE. Was it an annual contract or just a few months because you would be responsible for payments for whatever term you agreed whether you use the service or not.

Yes once you get a new line and adsl over it then your wireless thingy :) will be fine with it

bev in crete

Postby bev in crete » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:03 pm

whats this then? sue
on the move? :wink:

suebob

INTERNET CONNECTION

Postby suebob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi Paul, many thanks, thought that might be the case.......guess I am stumped ! :roll:

Hi Bev,
Yes ! Hopefully we will be neighbours! Will ring you........I promise ! :lol:

suebob

Postby suebob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi PaulH
Just a quick update - Guess What ? ........We have the same phone with the same number, with an even quicker internet connection........all up and running within 3 (THREE) weeks of moving !
:o and :shock: but :D
Cheers

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:27 am

good, glad it worked for you.

there seems to be two basic potential problems with getting a line on Apokoronos.

One is equipment capacity in the exchange and you missed that because you retained your old number and your old "path" through that equipment.

Two is if you live in Kokino Xorio region where the main feeder cable is 100% taken up and so no spare lines even if you have a number to transfer.

Plus of course the "stupid" excuse given...ok you will need 17 poles, sorry we don't have any poles and it will be 2 years before we get some.

Fortunately you managed to avoid them all but only this week I had a call from a couple who had gone to Vamos exchange for a telephone line and were told 5, yes 5 years possibly before it could be done so the problems in general are very much current.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:21 am

Does anyone have any information on the Vodafone 3 in 1 service?

According to their TV ads and website you can get a landline number, mobile and ADSL internet, all for 30 euros a month. I've been told it all works over their mobile phone network and you don't need an OTE line. If this is correct it will be a good solution for many people in areas like Apokoronas who are waiting 2 years for a new line.

Anyone know if this info is correct?

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:03 pm

can you point us to the website Carol please

footscapes

Vodafone 3 in 1

Postby footscapes » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:53 pm

The 3 in 1 service seems to be a product of a joint venture between Vodafone and Hellas on Line (HOL). The landline/ADSL provision appears to come from HOL, which has its own cabling infrastructure, separate from OTE. As HOL cabling is not installed on Crete, I don't think this service is available here at present. (The Vodafone site allows telephone number input to check availability. My number (Rethymno code) returns a "not available" response).

Paul

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:26 pm

I can only find the info in Greek on the Vodafone website here

After further reading there I agree with Footscapes Paul - HOL is mentioned and my Hania number returns ADSL only available through OTE network. See ADSL check

I just tried some other telephone numbers in central Hania and they are showing for private network connection, without OTE, a date of 15/12/07 so it should be available in some areas shortly? And will this include a landline without using OTE ?
Last edited by Carolina on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:54 pm

This is an extract from a May '07 PDF document on Hellas Online's website outlining their future strategy:
Our network: A next generation network
After acquiring Attica Telecom, hellas online has the largest private fiber-optic network in Greece, surpassing 800 km. in length and covering around 80% of Athens population.
Within the next 3 years the company is going to invest more than €200 million in developing its network all over Greece.
The next phase of the network’s development has already been planned and includes wide areas in Central and Southern Greece. This part of the network will become the core of the company’s presence in the country.
Specifically, hellas online Next Generation Network investment plan for 2007 includes.
• A 3.000 km fiber optic network development throughout Greece and DWDM systems
• Urban fiber optic networks in major Greek cities such as Thessaloniki, Patra, Herkaleion Larissa, Volos, Rhodes etc.
• MSAN - Mutliservice Access Nodes which support the transfer of video and voice data as well as corporate interconnection services.
• ΙΡ infrastructure with the installation of the first CRS-1/Cisco network routers in Greece. CRS-1 is an integral part of the development of hellas online’s IP New Generation Network and support speeds of up to 92Tbps (terabits per second). This is a major step in building state-of-the-art infrastructure, comparable to those built by the biggest telecom operators worldwide.
• Telephony network and IMS architecture development.
• OSS/BSS systems aiming in higher flexibility in developing and managing new
services.

Sounds ambitious, but I can't see Vodafone jeopardising their own brand credibility by collaboration/JV with someone they don't expect to deliver.

Paul

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Forthnet, my provider, also have extensive plans due for completion by the end of the year and I have said elsewhere in this computer section that I am holding back to see what is actually delivered then.

Seems like there is a major rearrangement for all Internet Services from all providers and they are trying to capture market share now on promises

Vodaphone have an advantage in that they can pull a mobile into the package, it will be interesting to see what the others come up with.

There are a lot of promises made in advertising that certainly will be available in Athens whether they will be available in Crete is another question. As is when they might be available, broadband was in Athens at least 2 years if not more before we got it in Crete. Perhaps they will be available over rented OTE lines as Assimilate found out was the case for him in Athens.

One thing I am 95% sure on, any normal ADSL offered by Vodaphone will still run over cable and so it is still going to require massive infrastructure upgrades before the problems out of Vamos exchange go away.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:59 am

Whats happening is that OTE are gradually upgrading all their exchanges to ADSL2. As this happens any provider HOL, Forthnet etc can apply for LLU (local loop unbundling). What this means is they get full access to OTE's wires. The isp well may have their own cables, but the bit from the exchange to your house is 'rented' from OTE. The EETTare the watchdog over seeing this.

This is the same as happened in the UK 10 or 15 years ago when BT became non state owned.

The situation in Greece is that its a directive from the EU to create a fair competition in the market place. The state have sold some OTE shares but still own a lot. OTE isn't happy about renting its lines to competitors and make it difficult for them. I think by the time OTE do the Crete exchanges things will be smother for you.

If OTE had their way we would all still be using dial-up as they could charge per minute and wanted to keep that kind of revenue earner :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:14 am

Assimilate wrote:If OTE had their way we would all still be using dial-up as they could charge per minute and wanted to keep that kind of revenue earner :)

Not only for that reason. ADSL undermines their lease line business which is highly profitable. In the early days BT were slow to role out ADSL for the same reason. Fortunately for us, once the genie is out of the bottle it is impossible to put it back. If you establish any sort of ADSL business there is an inexorable business drive to make it profitable which means expansion.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:11 pm

paulh wrote:I had a call from a couple who had gone to Vamos exchange for a telephone line and were told 5, yes 5 years possibly before it could be done

Uh, now I'm panicking! We are looking to have a house built not far from the OTE building in Vamos. No lines???? :(

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”