Using OTE Conn-X Baudtec router with WIND

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
SatCure

Using OTE Conn-X Baudtec router with WIND

Postby SatCure » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Are there any settings to change when using an OTE Conn-X Baudtec router with WIND, apart from username and password?

WIND keep promising to send me "their" router but it still hasn't shown up. My OTE Baudtec router worked fine for 2 days then stopped (the "@" Internet LED was out, although the router indicated "showtime".)

I phoned 1212 for WIND, pressed 9 "for English", listened to Greek instructions telling me which button to press next and chose "2". A guy answered in Greek so I explained the problem in my best Greek and he hung up.

So I tried again and this time pressed '1'. A woman answered and I persuaded her to speak English, (since I had pressed "9 for English"). I explained the problem and she told me someone would check the line and call me back.

Nobody called back but next day at precisely 9:30am the LED came on and we were back on line.

This morning the light was off when I arose so I jumped through the hoops yet again and finally (after being hung up yet again) got a guy who listened and told me it was the fault of my router.

Hence my question. Is there a wrong setting that will make the router work fine except on Mondays and Fridays or are they bullshitting me?

One other interesting fact: it always seems to go off on days when there's rain. (The rain is not leaking into my indoor phone wiring or router and the outside box for incoming line looks dry inside.)

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Hmm, in the log all I'm getting is "PPPoE send PADI"

I suspect wrong Line PVC values.

With a PPPoE deployment there is no easy way to dynamically discover your Permanent Virtual Circuit (PVC) virtual path identifier/virtual channel identifier (VPI/VCI) values so...

...can anyone tell me what the VPI and VCI values are in their WIND router setup screen, please?

Clutching at straws here but the courier STILL hasn't delivered my router (which has apparently been on his van for days).

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:24 pm

vpi = 8 vci = 35 thats true for just about all the routers in Greece

PPPoE send PADI is 99% of the time an error outside of your network and control so an ISP problem. Got a Wind router up and working no problem today in Kefelas about 2pm so if it's outside it's local to you not general. As PADI is the PPoE detection mechanism if it has to resend them several times then it's just not seeing the PPoE so cannot carry your authentication and so allow you on the net. 8/35 are reasonable bets as to where the problem is but if they are correctly installed then it's likely outside your control

Obvious error is not putting the @tellas.gr after the username but as it has worked at some point I assume that is correct. After setting it up I presume you pressed the "Modify" button to store the details otherwise it will revert to winduser@tellas.gr ...ooops sorry you haven't got your Wind router yet have you.

if it's PPoE it should be LLC too but most routers do that automatically

Of course there is one obvious point to consider.....OTE were on strike last Friday and I am not sure about today.....suppose they disconnected their system and just happened to wait till this week sometime to reconnect into a Tellas area.....that answers your Friday and Monday query and possibly longer given the bad weather and the distraction of "emergency repairs". Yes I know they shouldn't need to connect to specific areas depending on ISP but it is a reasonable possibility.

Speculation here but isn't Wind a subsidiary of Cosmote which had Thurs and Friday strikes last week over proposed redundancies....could explain why your router has not arrived yet and /or your helpful support from their helpdesk

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:15 am

Hi satcure ,
My (Wind) router went down just before Christmas. I was promised a new router but it took a couple of weeks as they had problems with the courier company they use in Crete. Once I got it and got re connected I got a very nice call from Wind telling me I had 2 free months of internet and calls, including calls to mobiles home and abroad . I have had my two bills and sure enough , I have had two free months ..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am

paulh wrote:...Speculation here but isn't Wind a subsidiary of Cosmote ...

I don't think there is any connection between Wind and Cosmote. In Greece Wind started its life in 1992 as Telestet, which, together with Panafon, was one of the first mobile companies in Greece. OTE was forbidden from entering the market for five years in order to stop it using its monopoly land-line position to overwhelm the two new start-ups. Telestet was bought out by Wind Telecom, an Italian Telecom company privately owned by an Egyptian family in 2007. It subsequently took over Tellas, a telecom subsidiary of DEH.

Originally Panafon was a joint venture between Vodafone, France Telecom, Intracom and Data Bank. It re-branded as Vodafone in 2002 and is now virtually wholly owned by the Vodafone Group.

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

Yes I've actually looked up now the piece I was remembering and it is Germanos which is a subsidiary of Cosmote .....near but no biscuit

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for your replies and apologies for not returning sooner. My OTE router magically came back on line yesterday so I've had some catching up to do.

vpi = 8 vci = 35 thats true for just about all the routers in Greece

That's what I've got, thanks.

WIND still haven't delivered my router. Blaming it on the courier. Now saying courier has the wrong address! (Address is my name + Village name). Previously said courier unable to phone on my mobile (no missed calls). Excuse after excuse. They now have THREE working phone numbers for me. I'm tempted to give them my UK mobile number for good measure.

Today I got a text asking me to phone. I did so and asked them to leave the box at the supermarket. My friend here did the same and was told they'd already left his "somewhere in Apokoronas" so they would collect it and deliver it on Monday. That will be a fortnight since switchover.

On current performance, I'm afraid I can't recommend WIND to my worst enemy.

Download currently 1.7Mb/s. Upload 0.2.
A year ago I was getting 4.8/0.7.
Not impressed.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:34 pm

I notice that I can no longer send email from my otenet.gr address. What do I need to use to send from my tellas.gr address?

Is there an email setup page somewhere on the WIND web site?

(Bear in mind I still don't have the router with installation CD.)

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Not surprising you cannot send via otenet, you are no longer their customer and you are logged onto another ISP. Effectively trying to relay through Otenet or another ISP is what spammers do and it is correct that it is stopped.

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tellas.gr
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tellas.gr

plus of course it will require username and password

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Unless they've changed their policy, you should be able to get some access to your otenet email account for a short period of time, e.g. one month, using web mail. You cannot access it with an email client and you won't be able to send. Try https://tools.otenet.gr/tools/index.do#

Warwick

PS In my experience, when you cannot get further access the email address still appears to exist and anyone sending messages to it will not get a return error. Hence, they will think that you have received it. Bummer changing ISP isn't it.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:58 pm

I can confirm (having tested it 2 days ago) that a new Wind user who has mail sent to his old OTEnet email address does get it delivered but for how long I don't know.

The agrro of changing ISP's email systems is what makes me say use Gmail or the like then the question doesn't even arise. If you like to work through and have all your emails on your machine then set up a POP3 email account at Gmail and it can come into your Outlook or Thunderbird just the same (and so owned and backed up by you).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Just a thought. When you try to access your OTENET email account with an email client have you changed the settings to "Requires Authentication"? This was not necessary when you were logged on through OTENET BUT is certainly needed when logged on through WIND. The same is usually true of third party email suppliers.

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Requires authentication means you have to prove you are an OTEnet customer and so have the right to use their email server....which he isn't anymore, he's a Wind customer which is what he is logged in to the internet as.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks, guys. OK, I'll come clean. I was telling the truth but actually asking on behalf of a friend. I've never used my own otenet email address, apart from testing, for precisely the reasons that you've stated.

I'll give my friend the bad news. You have confirmed my suspicions (and also confirmed that the WIND salesman was ... shall we be kind and say "mistaken"? He stated that we could continue to use otenet email as usual. I was suspicious of this statement but, as it didn't concern me at the time, I didn't bother to question it.)

Thanks again.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:47 pm

I agree with you Paul BUT whenever I used to access my emails from somebody else's connection, e.g. when in the UK, I had to use authentication. When logged on to OTENET as my ISP I didn't. If they allow you web mail access it is just possible that they might allow email client access but it would only work if you use authentication. Effectively if you are logged on to OTENET as your ISP it knows who you are but if you are logged on to some other ISP then it hasn't a clue who you are.

No harm done by trying?

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”