Boot order

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Boot order

Postby johnincrete » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:14 am

As part of the diagnosis of an intermittent fault, I have dowloaded Microsoft's software and burned it to CD. Their instructrions say I must ensure that boot sequence will have the CD Drive (E) before the normal (C) so that, on reboot, the diagnostics run automatically.

Does anyone know how I do this please?
Do I have to change it back when I have finished the diagnostics?

I'm using XP SP3 (installed in England so is English version).

Also, does anyone know the name of the web site that will identify what the memory modules are and suggests specs for replacement/addition.

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 am

I can't help with the boot sequence, but used Crucial to supply additional memory modules for both desktop and laptop. They have a scan tool here http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx?gclid=CM27xeTJyKcCFcoa4QodXxXwDA&cpe=pd_google_uk&ef_id=0yRNeyp0DAwAAA1@:20110312081028:s

The memory modules they specified/supplied slotted straight in and they ship to Greece (UPS) for £5.

Paul

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

75% do boot the cd before the HDD anyway so put it in and see. Worst case scenario is it boots from hdd and so then you do have to actually change the boot order but see what it is first by trying it.

I know exactly how to change it no problem but why go to great reams of typing when it might be that way anyway

johnincrete

Thanks

Postby johnincrete » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Problem solved.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”