Norton 360

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
gardon

Norton 360

Postby gardon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer protection from one laptop to another. I have a one licence,one year subscription to Norton which still has 8 months to run but have just changed laptops. When I tried to put the licence key in the new one it said "this licence has been used" which is what I kind of expected but just wondered if there was a way round it or do I have to buy a new product.

yvette

Norton 360

Postby yvette » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Gardon, you should be able to protect up to 3 PCs with the one subscription. Mine is in Greek so can't read much of it. If you still have your old lap-top, maybe you can get on-line help from them?

Kilkis

Re: Norton 360

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:01 pm

yvette wrote:Gardon, you should be able to protect up to 3 PCs with the one subscription....

I think that depends on the licence? I am currently using Kaspersky and that is available in licences for 1 PC, 3 PCs etc. I would guess that Norton is similar. The Norton site give advice on how to find out if you have any unused activations.

Providing there is no possibility that the original PC could still be using the software, e.g. it is deceased, it MIGHT be possible to contact Norton, explain why you have transferred it and get them to authorise the new PC. No guarantees but worth a try although the advice on the Norton site suggests you need to buy another key.

Warwick

gardon

Postby gardon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for both replies. It was a one licence product and according to Norton cannot be transferred which is a shame as there was quite a lot of time left on it.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Unfortunately, that's how these companies make their money! You either pay for 1 licence and take out a new one if you upgrade your pc/laptop or you pay for extra licences 'just in case'.

When I bought my new laptop last year, I decided to use Microsoft Security Essentials instead of upgrading our paid for protection. I've had no problems so far!
Living in Crete!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 pm

AVG Free is also good.

Most people in the know recommend NEVER renewing a licence. It is almost always cheaper to simply buy a new copy of the program from someone like Amazon or eBay than to renew. I used McAfee for many years and never paid more than £12 for a new copy. The renewal fee was usually up around £39 or more.

Warwick

JMS

Postby JMS » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:55 am

Most people in the know recommend NEVER renewing a licence. It is almost always cheaper to simply buy a new copy of the program from someone like Amazon or eBay than to renew. I used McAfee for many years and never paid more than £12 for a new copy. The renewal fee was usually up around £39 or more.
(alt+c)

Think this is the best way to do it.
Norton 360 is the worst one I ever had - not very good, expensive and set up for automatically renewable that you had to cancel.
Have also used Avast in periods.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”