WiFi to Internet Connection Problem

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

WiFi to Internet Connection Problem

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:09 pm

My neighbour has a problem connecting to the Internet using WiFi. He's using a Sagem wireless modem/router as supplied with a Connex package. He normally connects his laptop to the router using Ethernet and everything works fine.

Friends who have no Internet access sometimes visit him and use his connection. They connect with WiFi and everything also works fine.

If, however, he tries to disconnect his Ethernet connection and work via WiFi he cannot access the Internet. The WiFi connection is working. If he puts the IP address of the router into IE and runs the diagnostic routine from the router web page it replies that the WiFi connection to the router PASSES the test and the connection from the router to the Internet also PASSES. If he tries to access a web page out there on t'Interwebby thingy he cannot connect. Anybody any bright ideas? He's using Windows XP Pro.

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

as written that should be working,

what you need is another laptop also on wireless connect and to see if that gets the internet ( I know it has in the past but I want to know if it can now or if a setting has been changed since last there was a successful connection.

Since you have as you say been into the router with the IP address then presumably you looked at wireless settings so you would have been in the vicinity of where something is changed.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm

I connected myself with my iPod and surfed a few pages immediately before trying to connect with the laptop so everything is working normally for a second device.

Is it possible that there is something in the Windows settings that is telling it to only look for the Internet over the Ethernet connection?

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:25 pm

no not that I am aware of and as I've been swapping such connections back and forth daily for around the last 5 years I think I'd have come across it if there was.

the only test I can think of is to try another make of wireless dongle in the problem laptop just to see if that resolves it in which case it's a problem in the laptop wireless equipment. That's what I would do. Another option is to go to the laptop makers site and download the latest wireless drivers and install them see if that gives a solution. I've seen that solve a similar problem.

MBK

Postby MBK » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:18 pm

A longshot, but it has resolved a similar issue before, with a locally purchased laptop but set up for English by the shop - US English!

Is the laptop/PC set to English language? Double check that is set to English (UK) and not English (US). If it set to US, this may be the cause of the problem, as the PC locale (geographic locality) the PC thinks it is in the US.

If it is set to US, it will affect the WiFi channels available to the WiFi card. US and European WiFi channels differ in that the US has less channel options. If the computer is set to US locale the card will be limited to display only the channels available in the US. Setting it to European locale will give access to all the channels.

It may be that the WiFi router is set to a (European) channel that is not available under US locale settings in the PC.

To find locale - under Windows - go to the Control Panel. Find Clock, Time and Region settings, new window opens find Location tab and change if necessary. Also under Adminstrative tab go to locale and change if necessary. PC will want to reboot to confirm the last change.

HTH.
info AT mbs-crete DOT com
BLX QTO!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, MBK, but I don't think that it is a channel problem. The laptop connects to the WiFi router using wireless just fine.

If you launch a browser, e.g IE or Firefox and type in the router's IP address it connects and brings up the router's browser type control panel. You can then instruct the router to perform tests using the wireless connection. It recognises that the wireless connection is working and the Ethernet one is disconnected. It also recognises that the connection from the router to the Internet is working. If you then enter an address in the same browser to some web page, e.g. Living in Crete it cannot find it. It thinks it is not connected to the Internet. As soon as you reconnect the Ethernet cable it works immediately. It looks like Windows is expecting to connect to the Internet over Ethernet and when it cannot find that connection it won't work.

Warwick

rampanthorse

Postby rampanthorse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm

In "network connections" the wireless network connections, internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties should be set to "obtain address automatically"

In explorer, internet options, connections should be set to never dial a connection.

thats all i can think of at the mo.
I live in kalives and if he does not live to far away or does not mind waiting until i next go to chania then i would be willing to have a look at it.
Barry

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Out of interest, is the wireless connection using an encryption key? If it is, try setting it to "open" temporarily.

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Check if the dns is manually given in the wireless adapter. (If so, set it to obtain automaticly.)
It can be checked by compairing the dns when connected to the ethernet and when connected to the wireless
If the dns fails, the IE would allow to go to the ip of the router but when surfing, no site would be reachable

Greetings
Steven

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”