Mozilla Firefox

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Eleni13

Mozilla Firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:44 pm

I am sure you will be able to solve this one Paul.
We use Firefox, and have (today) had a problem in that when we try to open it, the Firefox symbol appears in the bottom bar, but the window appears to try to open in co-ordinates that are off the screen. In other words, it flies off to the right hand corner of the screen & disappears. It will operate normally in safe mode.

Weird, or what??? :?

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Assuming that you are running Windows OS have you tried right-clicking on the Firefox tab in your task bar then clicking on either Maximise or Restore?

Eleni13

Firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Yes Jean we have.
We have also tried downloading the latest version of Firefox again. It is worse now, everything in the taskbar flies off, including Living in Crete!

Eleni13

Firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Correction, it's only the original version of Firefox, (not safe mode) that disappears.
:? :?

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:51 pm

quick reply can't stop

set your screen resolution to 800 x 600 see if that brings it back then move it out to the size you want again

if that doesn't work go to the bar along the bottom of the screen, right click in a grey area (not a minimised page), chose tile vertically or horizontally....not sure for cascade.......and it should pull it back to the main area

Eleni13

Firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. It didn't work though, sadly.

We can't actually talk to the proper Mozilla start page at all. It will not open.
Working in safe mode is the only way to use Firefox. It isn't a great problem, just a lot more long-winded. Ohther half is convinced it is a Windows problem, not a Mozilla one. It started yesterday just after Mozilla crashed & a pop-up box appeared requesting us to use a Mozilla clean up program to remove traces to adult sites. As we don't do this, or have any intention of doing so, I didn't respond. Sounded suspect in itself. We ranour own virus checkers etc & no problems were found.

I really don't want to go over to IE!

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:15 pm

If it started yesterday why don't you use the Restore function (assuming that you are running XP or Vista).

Sounds like you might have caught a nasty and running Restore might get rids of the problem.

Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling Firefox?

Eleni13

firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks Jean, yes we tried all that. It does sound like a nasty-I was on the "other site" at the time. I hope that isn't relevant.

Virus checker found nothing, reinstalling didn't work. Everything else works normally except for the main Mozilla, except in safe mode. Searched the Forums and can find no solution.
:(

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:43 pm

I agree with what Jean said, first action is restore back to a time prior to it occurring. If that solves it great!

Certainly sounds like there is a nasty in there. Go in (safe mode) and check your home page, (Tools and Options then General tab) if thats been changed then there is a nasty, change it to Google.

And IE works ok if you have to use it?

When you reloaded firefox did you uninstall it first by using add/remove programs in the control panel. If not the new download will just pick up the parameters of the old version. You should be using 2.0.0.6

You can download Opera...another browser with quite good reports (and safer than IE)

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:02 pm

paulh wrote:I agree with what Jean said, first action is restore back to a time prior to it occurring. If that solves it great!
It didn't, sadly

Certainly sounds like there is a nasty in there. Go in (safe mode) and check your home page, (Tools and Options then General tab) if thats been changed then there is a nasty, change it to Google.
Checked, all OK there

And IE works ok if you have to use it?
Yes, but I want Firefox to work so that all of my bookmarks are saved

When you reloaded firefox did you uninstall it first by using add/remove programs in the control panel. If not the new download will just pick up the parameters of the old version. You should be using 2.0.0.6
Yes, uninstalled properly

You can download Opera...another browser with quite good reports (and safer than IE)

If necessary, we will. Thanks

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:04 pm

A virus checker won't necessarily get rid of the "nasty(ies)", if present. Have you run Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware. A third malware program I came across recently, A-Squared, found a couple of things on a friends PC that the other two didn't pick up. It's been well rated by PC mags and it's also free. (I've added it to my portfolio of anti-malware programs.)

Filippos.

Eleni, you know you can save your bookmarks separately in case you loose them for some reason?

Tools> Organise Bookmarks opens the Bookmarks Manager
Then File> Export.

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:24 pm

You can import firefox bookmarks straight into Opera

I'm looking for a windows command I remember from ages back which says where a specific page will open...can't find it yet

Eleni13

firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks Fillipos & Paul. All useful stuff.
What a time waster computers can be, when all is not well.

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:45 pm

Sorry but maybe we have been overlooking something obvious.........the difference between safe mode and ordinary is that in safe mode lots of the drivers don't start up

In safe mode its ok so we have a driver or setting problem perhaps

So it would point to perhaps one of the video card settings being out of kilter, and I'm not sure but I don't think a restore affects the video card so that would also point to the video

Do you know your make/model of video card?

Having said that all programs should be affected including IE

Oh and try run your antinasty programs in safe mode when the problem isn't resident.

its like you have a larger screen area defined than is actually visible, is there perhaps just a tiny edge of firefox showing that can be dragged back into the main screen area, is that edge behind the status bar at the bottom which itself can be moved up or down (drag it via the top edge with the mouse left key held down

if you start the page up and it flies off, if you then hit F11 does it show any of it? (hit F11 again to toggle it back)

Eleni13

Firefox

Postby Eleni13 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Yes, it does sound as if there is more screen area than is actually showing. We tried the F11 trick, no luck there.
There is also no trace of the start up page hidden anywhere.
At one point during our ferreting about, we appear to have two video cards(NVidia). We also have a slightly complicated set up involving the PC being partitioned into 32 bit & 64 bit parts. We had this done because when the computer was new, 64 bit was not supported very well with our applications.
Having said all that, it has been working perfectly well for a cople of years now.
We are currently trying out Filippos' suggested nastie hunter.

Tha doume.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”