Laptop to TV

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
kaytee

Laptop to TV

Postby kaytee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:41 pm

Help. Can anyone out there tell me what I need to connect my laptop to the TV. I want to watch English TV. My TV has 2 HDMI ports. the laptop has 15 VGA. I have been told that I need a VGA to Hdmi + a possible audio cable. The guy in Multirama said I need a converter something about analogue to digital. Plus then there are resolution issues. All in all I am thouroughly confused.So I go back to my first word Help. Pretty please.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:00 am

Does your TV have any other ports?

My laptop is HDMI so has an HDMI socket so it's easy to connect. Our older laptop doesn't so I'm assuming this is the same as yours.

We connect the audio cables (yellow, red and another colour which go into the TV) and the single end (for ours) goes into the headphone bit (I think) in the laptop. We then have another cable which has a round connector with pins in the middle one end goes in the laptop the other goes in the TV. We don't use a convertor to change between 'normal' and HD TV.

It may be that you can no longer get the round cable which is why you need a convertor or because you only have HDMI ports in your TV...

Hope this helps!

Lynn
Living in Crete!!

kaytee

Postby kaytee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Lynn. I assume that you mean the S Video cable when you mean the round cable. No, my TV nor my laptop has these. The only other port on the TV is a USB. Kay

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:00 pm

I believe that the guy at Multirama is correct. VGA and HDMI are completely different signals so it is not just a question of getting some sort of cable adapter, as you would for DVI to HDMI. You would need a converter, i.e. an electronic box that would receive the analogue VGA signals and convert them to the digital HDMI signals. See http://www.hdcable.co.uk/vga-to-hdmi-co ... =625457103 for a typical example. This is not a recommendation since I have never used such a device.

Warwick

kaytee

Postby kaytee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks Warwick. I had a feeling I would have to go down this route. I looked at the link you sent. It explains all.They have a skype number so I'll give them a bell. cheers Kay

PcVirus

Postby PcVirus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Well in my opinion it is a pity to give so much money on something like that. We don't have better quality! So personally I would suggest 2 simple cables, which are cost-effective solution.

All TVs have VGA slot so that a simple wire of picture and sound are enough to watch the laptop to the TV :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... -cable.jpg (vga cable)
http://www.puremobile.ca/insiderblog/wp ... iojack.jpg (audio cable)
VIRUS computer shop - Sales & Services @ Kalives

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm

All TVs have VGA slot

That's made me very curious. My TV seems only to have two (visible) slots and that's for a SCART cable. Where could I find the VGA slot? Or is there a simple way to connect SCART to VGA?

kaytee

Postby kaytee » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 pm

My tv does not have a VGA slot only USB amd HDMI

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:10 am

PcVirus wrote:...All TVs have VGA slot...

Spheroids! Some do, some don't. The original poster's TV doesn't, otherwise others would have advised using this route.

Warwick

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:26 am

As I watch all of my TV online these days and my movies are watched from a hard drive, I decided to just get rid of my old cathode ray tube TV and I bought a great 22" flatscreen computer monitor instead for €130.

So I can now watch TV on the laptop or on the much bigger monitor in my lounge.

This just hooks up with USB to my computer. Simple.

Christos

Postby Christos » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Since you are going to spend some money for a solution to this I would go for a Live streaming media server like this one This is a device that can connect your PC with your TV through your ADSL router using ethernet cable or wifi and HDMI cable. Except streaming live internet tv to your TVset you also get a media storage device and a multiformat player for your video/music/pfotos with the addition of an external hard drive or thumb drive. You could do the same with an Xbox or PS3.

Christos

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”