internet without landline

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

hello,

has anyone on the forum had any experience with having an internet service without a landline? my neighbours want to share my internet service (i am not a big fan of that... in canada you wouldnt do that since all things would point back to your router, if someone were to be going to unethical websites). they want to share because they dont have a landline and i do. i have looked on the internet and it seems companies offer this, but then i look at the packages they offer and all seem to include the landline. sigh.

any comments? any experience with this?

thanks.

ann

Phild

Postby Phild » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 am

Hi Ann,

The options are generally Internet via mobile phone operator using a dongle, or a satellite internet option.

We use Tooway Satellite internet - see the topic here:
http://www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=5778
----
Phil
----

Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 am

thanks. looked at the tooway option... nah, that wouldnt be for them. they would want a cheaper option. is there a 20 euro a month option? they just want to use it for facebook, email, games etc. i am in agia. they also dont have a lot of money to invest. they dont even want to pay for a landline.

anyone know the implications if i were to share my internet connection? is it safe? i cant say i trust these neighbours completely. not because they are bad ppl, just lotsa young teenage kids etc. that could make mistakes.

jane clayton

Postby jane clayton » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 am

We use a vodafone dongle and pay 20euros per month for 5 gigabytes -if we use more we pay extra.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 am

Personally I wouldn't want to share my ADSL connection with somebody else. For mobile options see:

http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/client/cm ... lang=el_GR

http://www.cosmote.gr/cosmoportal/page/ ... loc/en_US#

http://www.wind.gr/en/for-individual/mo ... -contract/

They probably need to go and talk to somebody in each company and then decide which is the best deal for them. Also worth checking who has the strongest signal strength where they will use it. With an Internet dongle speed drops pretty fast if the signal strength is low. You need to check the strength with something using 3G, e.g. a smart phone.

Warwick

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 am

Ann McCallum wrote:thanks. looked at the tooway option... nah, that wouldnt be for them. they would want a cheaper option. is there a 20 euro a month option? they just want to use it for facebook, email, games etc. i am in agia. they also dont have a lot of money to invest. they dont even want to pay for a landline.

anyone know the implications if i were to share my internet connection? is it safe? i cant say i trust these neighbours completely. not because they are bad ppl, just lotsa young teenage kids etc. that could make mistakes.

Its quite common in Greece, in areas where there are no spare landlines, to allow neighbours to connect to a spare port on your router via a cable. Without investing in extra equipment, wireless is not usually an option due to distance/weak signals.

There are several around us, allows them to share the cost of the ADSL, possibly pay for an upgrade, so everyones happy.

Any problems, just unplug them!

Having said that, if landlines are available in your area and your neighbours just don't want to pay for one, I would be more cautious.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

norton57

Postby norton57 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi, i bought a dongle from Cosmote,which lasts for ever if looked after,it plugs into the side of your p.c.i think 40 euros. Then pay as you go cards, also from Cosmote{in Kissamoss}, these vary from about 5 euros for a days internet to 50 euros for a month.

Gavalochori Geezer

Postby Gavalochori Geezer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Neighbours got fed-up with their sluggish landline internet access so have signed up with the satellite people. They found that previously advertised useage limits had been cut severely due to customer fraud - one hotel owner with umpteen bedrooms had been masquerading as a private user! I think they are quite happy with what they have though, good enough to keep up with the tv soaps and sport.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:22 pm

That sounds OK ,if you can get the signal in your house.
Where I am, mobile phones (and therefore dongles I guess) only work in a few places in the village.
If I stick the phone in my pocket when I take the dogs out I pick up all the missed calls and texts some times over a week later. I can get a text message if I leave my phone on the kitchen window sill. but if it rings and I try to answer it the connection is lost.. I kind of like this ..jeff...

Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:32 pm

thanks a bunch everyone. :)

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Ann McCallum wrote:....... they just want to use it for facebook, email, games etc.
Some games can use up a lot of bandwidth.
... i cant say i trust these neighbours completely. ............. just lotsa young teenage kids etc. that could make mistakes.
Why are you even considering sharing if you don't completely trust them? Young teenage kids that could make "mistakes" - like sharing your access password with all the kids in the neighbourhood?

In your first post you give a valid reason for not sharing. I'm with Warwick in not wishing to share a connection.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Personally I use a 63 character password. Really really secure. Just bought a new Smart TV. Trying to enter that with the TV remote using an on-screen keyboard, arrow keys and enter is really really frustrating.

Thou shalt not win them all!

Warwick

Reg

Postby Reg » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Is there something special about a 63 character password?

Reg

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:36 pm

It's the maximum allowed, I think. Around 2 to the power 500 possible permutations. A trifle difficult to hack, especially if you use alphanumeric with upper and lower case plus a smattering of special characters. You would be amazed how many people use "password" or "1234". Easy to remember but not that difficult to hack.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Let me guess your password Warwick is it

I’mabigfathairyblokewhOlikestopickafigHtwithany0neoververylittle :)

Apologies

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”