New computer

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Rej

New computer

Postby Rej » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm

My poor old steam driven desk top is definitely ready for replacement. Can anyone recommend a shop, in or around Chania, where I can see what is available and talk to someone knowledgeable about what I want.

I quite fancy an "all in one" does anybody have any comments about that?

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Try "Public" in Haniá near the indoor market. I don't know what you mean by "all in one" but I use only Apple Mac laptops now. Much more useful during the power cuts!

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:38 pm

I bought a new desktop PC a couple of years ago from X-file in Kalyves and it's been excellent and without any problem.

I informed the owner what I do with the machine e.g. building web sites, intensive photo editing and graphic work, Internet, e-mail, occasional word processing and spreadsheet etc., the number/size of programs used regularly and the storage capacity needed, including for back-ups (I currently have 5407 photos on the system at an average of about 28MB each).

I also specified that I wanted a set up that was as 'future-proof' as possible bearing in mind that new versions of programs tend to bloat and require higher operating speeds.

X-file produced three specifications at different price levels and I chose the one I wanted. No regrets about buying there.

I believe you'd also get similar type service from either of the other two computer shops in Kalyves.

P.S. Like Satcure I don't understand to what you're referring by 'all in one' unless you mean specifically a printer/copier/fax to go with the PC. (And any lap top is better than a desk top during power cuts longer than about 30 minutes.)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:49 pm

An "All in one" is a PC where everything, motherboard, hard drive, DVD etc, is built into the monitor. See for example http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/all-in-o ... 1na-review or, to keep Martin happy, http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/all-in-o ... mac-review They are very neat BUT I would rate them as not particularly good value for money and usually impossible to configure to your own requirements to any significant extent or upgrade.

I reckon you would get best value for money doing what Filippos did. That's the route I took, except I built it myself. Usually you don't need to pay "very much" for the software and you can get almost anything that you want. If you look at every component in a PC and plot its price on the ordinate (vertical) axis and its "performance" along the abscissa (horizontal) axis you get a classic hockey stick curve. Pick components close to the elbow where the hockey stick starts to kick up and you get best cost performance ratio for that component. Build a PC with such components and you get the best cost performance ratio for the PC.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:22 am

Wifey's PC died a few months ago and she went for one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1Lu1ktHH8

Asus Vivo PC VM40B-S134V (90MS0011-M00070):
Cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50 GHz 2 MB L3 cache
chipset Intel HM70
Ram 4GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard disk 500 GB serial ATA 7200 rpm
Intel HD Graphics
D-SUB, HDMI, 2 sound outputs, Ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, 2xUSB 3.0, 4xUSB 2.0, card reader 2 to 1, SonicMaster speaker 2Wx2, Windows 8.1 (genuine copy)

Got it from X-Files in Kalyves - around €325
If you need an dvd writer, an external USB one is about €40

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 am

Personally I would see the Asus Vivo as an excellent media streaming PC to connect to a TV. I prefer a bit more power for general use.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:11 am

It's fine for what she wants it for, and I agree about connecting to TV.
It's so small and portable that you could use it in the lounge with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 am

The main advantage of going the route I suggested is that you specify what you want to use the PC for, have it built and pay accordingly That way you don't spend money on more advanced components that are more than you need.

For example, if all you want to do is access the internet, send and receive e-mail, use Skpe, type the occasional letter and maybe keep household accounts on a simple spreadsheet all you need is something pretty basic. In that case you won't need a high-end graphics card (expensive) for playing fast moving computer games with 3-D graphics, nor an especially fast processor. If you don't keep thousands of photos and back-ups you won't need a couple of 2 terrabyte HDDs for storage nor do you need a high-end graphics card and a fast processor for editing large photo files.

You wouldn't buy a Ferrari just to potter along to the shops and it's the same principle with computers. Buy what you need.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:48 am

...and if you have a problem you will probably get support from the person who built it for you, often free. I wouldn't bank on that from Kotsovolos? Unfortunately the engineer who built mine is completely useless.

While I fully agree with Filippos' comments, personally I tend to go for some overkill on the specification rather than tailoring exactly to what I need. Experience suggests that, as time goes by, the software is prone to morbid obesity and a corresponding lethargy. Usually by the time that occurs the option of upgrading a bit has passed by because the components then being sold are no longer compatible with the motherboard. By spending a bit more now I get a longer life before I need to bite the bullet and start afresh. I aim for ten years and I am an impatient person so it mustn't slow down much in that time.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:58 pm

I did say in my first post, "I also specified that I wanted a set up that was as 'future-proof' as possible ....... new versions of programs tend to bloat and require higher operating speeds."

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:37 pm

filippos wrote:I did say in my first post, "I also specified that I wanted a set up that was as 'future-proof' as possible ....... new versions of programs tend to bloat and require higher operating speeds."

Sorry. Misunderstanding. Following your comment in the subsequent post about buying exactly what you need I took the "future proofing" to mean that you could upgrade if the software became too slow, e.g. more memory, faster processor etc, rather than buying a bit more performance than you need immediately. While upgrading is possible up to a point, e.g. I added an extra 4 GB of memory to mine less than one year after building it and have just added an SSD to hold the operating system and all programmes four years after building it, in the longer term, when it really starts to grind down, the relevant components are no longer easily available.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Kilkis wrote:I added an extra 4 GB of memory to mine less than one year after building it and have just added an SSD to hold the operating system and all programmes
My system has an SSD for the same purpose as yours, a quad processor, 2 x 100GB HDDs for data and the Win 7x64 bit OS with 8GB RAM. Even now one or two of the processes in my main photo editing program have me growling, "get a b****y move on. Fortunately, I don't often use them.

The original intention was one HDD for original data and t'other for bak. Since then I've added a 1GB external drive which is nearly full and a 2nd 2GB one standing by, ready to be plugged in.

four years after building it, in the longer term, when it really starts to grind down, the relevant components are no longer easily available.
Yep, don't electronic gizmos develop fast?

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:47 pm

I assessed my needs carefully before buying via eBay an Early 2011 used Apple MacBook Pro, 13”, Core i7 2.7 GHz CPU, 4GB SDRAM, 500GB internal HDD. I upgraded the SDRAM to 16GB and added 2 x 2TB external HDDs, monitor, keyboard, mouse, powered USB hub.

The basic laptop cost £552 plus £21 carriage (UK) plus additional carriage to get it here. Memory and HDDs were each a little over £100 (say £330). The other accessories I already had. So a little over £900 got me exactly the specification I wanted and I'm very happy with it.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should rush out to buy a used Mac - merely explaining that considerable thought and research was applied before I committed my hard earned cash. For example, I HAD to have a Firewire port for my scanner.

Apple offerings are restricted by limited choice and difficulty in upgrading so I was lucky to get exactly what I wanted.

Ordinary PCs generally offer infinite choice and the only feature that's difficult to assess is the reliability. For that precise reason, I agree with filippos that a custom-made PC from a reliable builder will ensure that any parts which fail should be available, as well as upgrades, and easy to install. So, in this respect, a "separates" system will be better than an "all in one".

A couple of years ago I had a "Hackintosh" tower PC custom built. It's still working and the only reason I stopped using it is that its power consumption was rather high for my solar-powered, battery-inverter system. (A glorified 10 hour "UPS".)

bobscott

Re: New computer

Postby bobscott » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Rej wrote:My poor old steam driven desk top is definitely ready for replacement. Can anyone recommend a shop, in or around Chania, where I can see what is available and talk to someone knowledgeable about what I want.

I quite fancy an "all in one" does anybody have any comments about that?

Have you been into Virus in Kalyves Richard? The two guys in there are very good, and the girl in the front office is not just 'a girl on the till'. She knows a lot about pc's etc. Worth having an initial chat to her. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Rej

Postby Rej » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the advise and comment.

I have had a stroll round Chania (Public, Kotsopoulos and Expert) but concluded that I would be much better of having something built locally. So, after a tour of Kalives I have ended up ordering a desk top tailor made to my requirements from Theo of X-Files.

Thanks again everyone.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”