Private message on Facebook

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Private message on Facebook

Postby johnincrete » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Is it possible to send a message on Facebook that only the intended recipient can see? I am baffled by Facebook and don't have the time and patience to learn how to use it but I need to contact someone in UK by sending my email address and phone number so they can give me some private information

altohb

Re: Private message on Facebook

Postby altohb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Yes, perfectly possible. On the top right of the screen, next to the words "find friends" are 4 symbols, which will look dark grey against the blue background. The second one in (which looks like two speech bubbles) is the one you want. Click on that, then "send a new message". A small box will appear at the bottom of your screen with a header for you to put the name of your messagee (!) and a space underneath for your message.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:29 pm

johnincrete wrote:...I am baffled by Facebook and don't have the time and patience to learn how to use it ...

I am also not a Facebook user. Isn't that a slightly dangerous attitude? I think you have to sign up to your own Facebook account before you can do anything. That being the case wouldn't it be wise to find out a bit about it first? Do you really want to operate any sort of social networking account without understanding how the account works and what the potential pitfalls are?

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:06 pm

You are quite right, Warwick - I'd answered John's question assuming he had already signed up and couldn't work out how to use the private message facility! It pays to be careful with any social networking site, of course, but they have their uses.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm

I wasn't knocking Facebook. I don't use it because it just doesn't do anything I want to do. I posted the warning because I am aware that some social networking sites have annoying little habits, like automatically ticking a box that allows them to milk your email address book and invite everybody in it to be your friend on their site. I don't like this aspect of them and anybody who doesn't find out exactly how the site works is more likely to fall foul of this type of manipulation. Not sure if Facebook does this but I suspect it does or, at least, did. I've been asked several times to get involved with Linkedin and refused that as well.

I don't use Twitter either but I might be forced to review that decision. I have no burning need to tweet or follow anybody in general but I am increasingly noticing instances where I might like to make a comment in a discussion and the only access is through Twitter.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:49 am

I've got round to sending a message at last. When I follow the instructions, I get a form and the first problem is "To:". What do I put in here? I was on the site of the person who I want to send my email address to. I tried right click at various places hoping to be able to copy/paste but to no avail.
Thanks for your patience.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:05 am

Hi, John.

I have no idea what instructions you are following. When I click on a person's name it takes me to their "Timeline" page where I can click on "Message" and simply type a message.

Since you seem to be struggling, why not read a User Guide such as one of these?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... e+facebook

I'd recommend a Kindle version, since it's more likely to be kept updated.

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 am

Ok, easy lesson on sending a Private Message on Facebook. Open facebook, on the left hand side there should be a column, top heading your name, underneath that, will be a heading Messages, click on it to open, at the top you will see a box with New Message, underneath that To, type in the facebook name of the person you want to send it to, underneath, type your message & at the bottom you will find a send button!

nigeljackson5

Postby nigeljackson5 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10 am

Hi John

Agree with previous correspondent

Another way, that I find easier, if using a laptop on facebook is :

Bottom right of your screen, under all your contact names, has a search box. Type in there the first few letters, and up will come the names. Click on the name you require and type your message

Hope this helps

Nigel

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”