Broadband in Kalyves

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
cosmoman

Broadband in Kalyves

Postby cosmoman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:49 pm

As we are moving to Kalyves soon, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a fast-ish broadband provider and how do I go about getting hooked up. I will have a house with a phone line. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

jet

Re: Broadband in Kalyves

Postby jet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:22 pm

If you go here

Go to main site Living in CreteBoard indexServices in Crete Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet

there are answers

I've WIND 24 Mbps (20 Euro month) and will soon have 50 Mbps (+5 Euro month) when the cable is laid in the road :-)

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm in Kalyves and have used Forthnet here for 6+ years and for several years before that in Tsivaras. Actual speed could be affected by distance from the exchange and volume of traffic but I've never had any speed problems and the service has always been reliable. (The only problem I've ever had was about 9-10 years ago .............. when I forgot to pay my phone bill.)

If you know Kalyves reasonably well you may know that the local exchange is opposite the Piraeus Bank, next to Kalyves Beach Hotel.

I've stuck with Forthnet simply because I've had no problems but a friend who owns one of the computer shops here has been singing the praises of (the much maligned) OTE so they might be well worth a look, too.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:55 am

I am with Ote and have been for over 4 years now. I have had no problems with the service from them.
I am paying around €31 per month for phone and internet - up to 24 Mbps, however, as I am quite a way from the exchange I only get around 10 Mbps which I consider adequate.
If you want to know all your options, the young lady in the Germanos shop in Kalyves (opposite Floraplant garden centre) speaks very good English and can advise you and make the arrangements.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 am

I'm not in Kalyves but I have been with OTE-OTENET for nearly 18 years. Never had a problem. One thing to think about is the choice of ADSL modem.

I use a WiFi router with an ADSL modem built in. My main desktop PC is connected to this by Ethernet so it is not using the WiFi. I was using a Linksys WAG160N and consistently got a tested speed close to 15 Mbps. A few months ago I started having some problems with this modem and so bought a new ASUS DSL-N12U. With the new modem I consistently get around 12 Mbps, i.e. a drop in speed of 20 %. I was quite surprised to get such a big drop in speed just by changing the modem? I realise there is a big variation in WiFi performance between different routers and technical reviews tend to concentrate on this when comparing them, e.g. measuring data transfer speeds at 1m, 10 m and 20 m. I have never seen a review measure the direct ADSL performance and rather naively expected them all to be the same? Anybody else experienced this effect?

Warwick

allan

Postby allan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am

Warwick,

I am with OTE-NET and have been for some time.
My previous router was one supplied by ote/Connex a ZTE .ZXV10 and like you was getting around 15 Mbps.
The same thing happened, loss of signal, internet dropping off etc.

Ote engineer called and suggested to change filters to all telephones and the splitter. wait to see if this helped and if not change the router.
Cut a long story short, changed the router yesterday to a ZTE.ZXHN (free of charge from Ote) and now lucky if I get 10 Mbps.

Another problem I found, if I am downloading a film at high speed my browser prevents me from opening another web page till the d/l has finished.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:35 am

The Germanos shop can get you a good deal with WIND right now. They're doing unlimited data with International calls thrown in for €25 per month inclusive. Of course there's a sign-up fee to cover the cost of the router-modem, etc. but it's a good deal.

Warwick, I'm getting some Netgear router-modems in a month or so and I'm happy to lend you one to test. I'm using one myself but I see no difference between it and the original one supplied by WIND, which lightning destroyed.** Mind, we only get 3.5MBps at best on the Rethymno side of Kefalas, anyway.

Martin

**Because my wife thoughtfully unplugged the phone line surge protector from the Schuko socket (disconnecting its earth) but left the phone line connected!

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:16 am

We had a lightning strike nearby us yesterday which knocked out my router for a minute or two.
I too am using a Netgear router (DG834GT), about 8-10 years old brought from the UK and it works fine at 10Mbps.
I also have an identical one that I bought on Ebay which I keep as a spare.
I prefer them to the OTE supplied one, as I find the onboard settings easier to use and change.
Might dig out the OTE one later and see what speed that delivers.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:05 am

SatCure wrote:...Warwick, I'm getting some Netgear router-modems in a month or so and I'm happy to lend you one to test....

Thanks very much for the offer, Martin. I am not really worried about the drop in speed, since 12 Mbps is still plenty for everything I do, so I'll stick with the one I've got thanks. I just found it curious that there was such a big, consistent difference on the ADSL side. We all know that the speed changes with distance to the exchange and depends very much on the quality of the line but I've never seen any report of it being modem dependent nor seen it tested in any review. I guess logically it could, since the distance and line effects are both really noise effects and modems might have different performance against noise.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 am

It would be as much for my own information, really, as yours. I'm interested to know how a DG834G 54 Mbps performs on a line with somewhat higher speed than mine. I'll also have the later 100 Mbps version to compare.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:12 am

No problem. Happy to test them for you. Let me know when you have them in stock. For information I am about 300 m from the exchange.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:21 pm

OK, I've collected a few via eBay. I'll have them shipped out here.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 am

How do you test the actual speed?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:26 am

Click on this link, http://www.speedtest.net/ and it will take you to a testing web site. Wait for it to load. It takes a few seconds. When it has loaded it should look a bit like a laptop with a map of the world where the keyboard will be and a blown up map of the regions where you live where the display would be. Also on the display is a big button with the words "Begin Test" Click on that and it does the test. Slightly higher up the screen is a button with the words "Start Now" on it. Don't click on that button.

When it runs you should see a little man and a pyramid with an arc joining them where the keyboard should be. The man is your your PC/server and the pyramid is where the test server is located. Where the display should be you get a speedometer type dial showing the speed with a graph under it so you can see how consistent it is. To the left you can see a ping speed. It also tests upload speed but doesn't graph it. I used it while typing this and got a ping of 15 ms. Small is good. A download speed of 12.53 Mbps completely flat and an upload speed of 0.86 Mbps.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:12 am

Just for comparison, the figures from my test two minutes ago were: 24 ms | 13.96 Mbps | 0.85 Mbps

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”