Free update to Windows 10

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Rej

Free update to Windows 10

Postby Rej » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Microsoft have inserted a new symbol onto my task bar. It invites me to reserve my free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I think that all Windows 7 users are getting this.

Any opinions or comments? Why would I want the upgrade? And how can I stop the beggars sneaking it onto my computer when I am not looking?

footscapes

Re: Free update to Windows 10

Postby footscapes » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:55 pm

I think the main incentive is that it seems likely that Win 10 will be supported for longer than Win 7. Remember when XP was dropped from security updates not too long ago? Any XP machine now remains unpatched and more vulnerable. I'm guessing that 7 will ultimately go the same way as well, and probably long before Win 10. Taking the free upgrade will probably keep you more secure for longer.

I like Win 7, haven't tried Win 8, and I hate significant changes to the look and feel of an OS, but I'm probably just going to grumble about it and accept the MS offer of a free upgrade. (First time it's ever been free, I think). As you get the upgrade opportunity for 12 months, if you are going to take it up, you might just wait a few months and let the early adopters be the ones to iron out the bugs.

I'm pretty sure that they won't sneak it on to your PC unless you click the upgrade option.

Lifehacker put up a You Tube video of what Win 10 looks like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDl3b1DqE0

Paul

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Win XP was supported for several years after several new versions had been released - mostly rubbish, like Win 2000 and the dreadful Vista - so I don't see support for Win 7 ending for a few years yet.

From what I've read Win 10 will look fairly similar, and work very much like Win 7, complete with Task Bar, Start button, etc. but with a much less bloated and more efficient 'engine'. They won't put it on your PC without you requesting it.

Like you, Paul, I intend to wait for a while 'cos new software always has some bugs that need sorting out so let them sort out those which, after the fiasco of Win 8, I think they'll want to fix a.s.a.p. - they can't afford another major c*ck up.

P.S. I heard from a friend recently, still an XP user, who said that MS are still providing security patches but are not doing any updates to the core OS program. He reckons they bowed to pressure from the tens of thousands of corporate users who still use XP. Whether he's right or not I don't know.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:48 am

Apple are going the same way. OS updates have been free or very low cost for a decade. Unfortunately, every successive "update" has been more buggy than the previous. In fact many Mac users still run (10.4) the equivalent of Windows 95. The least buggy OS is reportedly 10.6 but Apple is under pressure to concentrate on making the next release (10.11 ?) much more stable, instead of adding more "bells & whistles".

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Might be worth reading this before clicking the new little icon in the task tray? http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... ly-release

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:53 pm

I think clicking the icon simply enables you to register your interest in upgrading not to actually complete the upgrade and registering does not commit you to the upgrade. There's a need to register before 29 (end?) of July and you will then have the availability of the free upgrade for a period of 12 months. If you fail to register you'll have to pay for the upgrade if/when you decide to do so.

I may be wrong but that's certainly what I read last week in a tech magazine but I haven't verified that.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Is it possible to download the upgrade but NOT install it until you want to? That's what I do with Mac upgrades.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I believe so. As I understand it MS will download the files and inform people that everything is in place for the upgrade and the user then decides when/if to actually install the upgrade.

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:14 am

One word of warning about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, if you install any new hardware, you will get the message telling you that Windows needs to be activated. You will not be able to change many things until you do - even your desktop wallpaper.
I upgraded my new computer a few weeks ago, and in the sudden storm that occurred a fortnight or so ago, my network port died, so no internet. I could have bought a wireless USB adapter, but I play online games and wired is far superior.
Took it back to Theo at X-Files, and he stuck in a PCI network card that he had lying around - problem solved (I thought) I noticed a few days later, the faint on-screen message `Windows is not activated'. I tried the activation procedure using my Win 7 product key, but it was unsuccessful due to the upgrade.
Took it back to Theo who was very puzzled as he had not seen or heard of this before, so he contacted Microsoft support in Greece (not UK / India). Solution was `you will have to re-install Win 7 (i.e. wipe your PC) then upgrade to 10 again, or possibly it may activate itself if you leave it for 3 days (in other words - they didn't really have a clue). He was not a happy guy as he often tests new hardware on his business computer, and would have the same problem as me, so he contacted them again, and was told by another person in the SAME department, that you only need to re-install the operating system if you change the motherboard or CPU.
I phoned them myself, and after 20 mins, and talking to (and trying to understand) 2 different people, I was told to re-install.
Took it back to Theo, and this time he spoke to someone who could solve it. I was given a totally new Win 10 product key, and my old Win 7 one became invalid, so if I need to do a re-install at a future date, I can do it directly from a Win 10 install disk (now downloaded and burnt to DVD) and use the new key.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Once you upgrade to Win 10 you have to get a new product key. The old Win 7/8 one will not work. There is an App that will do this. I will try and post the details in the next couple of days.

Warwick

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Quite right on the removal of win 10 and reinstall win7. I had to do that at the expense of a lot of data and missing pre installed programs, so I had to start afresh with a complete install of win7 (Very inconvenient) from my original disk and serial number, then I had to go to the MS site and request an upgrade to Win 10 which performed flawlessly.
Back up and running on Win 10. It is inevitable that changes are required, as I would really have liked to have kept Win 7, but progress prevails.
I like it really as the desktop now looks like my mobile.

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Best I can say about 10 is that I don't mind it. Graphics are OK, quickly get used to the new menu but EDGE [Explorer 11] needs some work on it so using Mozilla.
I'm guess the main upgrades are in the background and useful to developers and for security but cant say I saw any real difference in performance.
I think that registering but holding off on the install is the best option.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:Once you upgrade to Win 10 you have to get a new product key. The old Win 7/8 one will not work. There is an App that will do this. I will try and post the details in the next couple of days.

Warwick

While this was the perceived wisdom in the technical press when I made this post, it now turns out that this statement is not true. There is a new product key which can be discovered with an App but it is meaningless because it is a generic code used for all upgrades and only works as part of an upgrade process. You cannot use it to do a clean install. When you upgrade to Windows 10 the system activates using this generic key and also sends a fingerprint of your PC to Microsoft, e.g. details on the processor, memory, disk drives, graphics cards and any other installed hardware. If you subsequently decide to do a clean install, using a downloaded ISO file of the Windows system, it activates checking that fingerprint so you don't need a product key. I guess minor changes would be allowed, e.g. doing a clean install on a new SSD that wasn't in the original PC as long as everything else stays the same. You might have to confirm directly with Microsoft what you were doing and why.

It is possible to do a clean install on a new PC BUT only up to 29 July next year. You would need to install the original Windows 7/8/8.1 on the new PC using the original product key provided when you bought it. You might have to go through some process with Microsoft to verify that you have removed it from the old PC. You then upgrade to Windows 10 on the new PC. If you do the upgrade before 29 July 2016 I think you should be able to do a clean install after that. Obviously it means that if you decide to build a new PC after 29 July 2016 and want it to run on Windows 10 you will have to buy it. Note that you need to be careful how you prepare the installation media, e.g. CD/USB stick, using the WIndows 10 Media Creation Tool.

OEM versions of Windows 7/8/8.1 can be upgraded on their original machine I believe but cannot be transferred to a new machine. That is nothing to do with Windows 10 but simply a restriction of the OEM software.

When it upgrades it keeps the original installation files. You can thus revert to your original version if you don't like Windows 10. Be warned it only keeps the files for 1 month so after that you would need to do a complete reinstall from your original media.

Computer shopper gives Windows 10 a good review, see Windows 10 Review.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”