Laptop

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
september

Laptop

Postby september » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to buy a new laptop over here or in the uk and bring it over with me,would that involve too much hassle in setting it up as i'm not too much of a whizz with that side of things?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Buy one here in Crete. One of the problems with buying in the UK arises if something goes wrong. You'll probably have to ship it to the UK for service (or at the very least Athens). Ask Warwick, he has personal experience, I believe.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I second what Filippos says plus you will need to always use a plug adapter for a UK bought one which can be bulky and a nuisance. More importantly a laptop bought here will have Greek script on the keys, not so a UK bought one.

Prices are much the same in both countries but you might be more aware of the UK offers purely because you see them in english and they catch your eye.

As always you get what you pay for but there is no point in spending a fortune unless you need a specific function or ability that is costly. So much changes in computing so fast that spending a fortune now will still give you an outdated machine against the cheaper range 2 years down the line.

rampanthorse

Postby rampanthorse » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm

if you buy one here in crete check that it is in English unless you actualy want one in greek.
Barry

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:04 pm

check that it is in English

I guess that you mean the operating system as the keyboard will always have English + Greek.
I think that if you buy from a computer shop you will be able to specify that you want the OS in English and not in Greek but yes, do remember to specify this.

september

Postby september » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks everyone, think i'll get one out here :P

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 pm

A minor point worth noting is that the keyboards in Greece are American, not UK. You can recognise this as the Shifted 3 key has the # symbol on it not the £ symbol. This is not a big problem. You can change the keyboard to the UK layout but when you do this Shift 2 becomes the " symbol, instead of the @ shown on the key itself, and Shift ' becomes the @ symbol, instead of the " shown on the key itself. Confuses visitors no end who ask to use your computer to access the Internet.

Filippos is correct. Buying in the UK is fine as long as it keeps going but a pain in the neck when it goes wrong. If you do decide to buy in the UK make sure it is from a firm that gives a long "collect and deliver" guarantee that applies across Europe. This might be hidden in the small print SO ASK!

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:32 pm

If you really want or need a country specific keyboard you can always buy a USB external one for next to nothing in the UK (or Germany, France or wherever depending on what you want) and plug it in your laptop.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”