spyware

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
marmite

spyware

Postby marmite » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 am

my computor keeps flashing the message that it is infected by an "unknown trojan and I have to click below to download a spyware programe" does this sound legit or is this a virus in itself? Have been getting lots of Spam inviting my man to enlarge various body parts recently...connected? Read other postings re Spam and tried to download mailwashing programe but it not downloading it for some reason...any one have a contact they can send me for the free download. Thanks.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 am

Your machine is probably already infected with something pretty nasty. Just don't click to download more junk and get it seen to by someone who knows about spyware and how to remove it.

The problem above is probably not related to the spam you are getting.
You can download Mailwasher (free version) at http://www.firetrust.com/download/MailW ... _Setup.exe

marmite

spyware

Postby marmite » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:49 am

thanks Jean...do you know anyone good at repairing the damage?

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:58 am

If you post where you are located someone might be able to say.

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:45 am

As per Jean says but what is the url of the page it wants you to go download from.

Under no circumstances download anything from the site though, like as not you could be downloading something that will give absolute control of your pc to the people who set this going in the first place

Does it call itself XPAntivirus anywhere?

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:27 am

It sounds a bit like the problem some of us on the forum had last year. It seemed to be solved by running the free programmes that were mentioned (can't remember their names). We now have AVG which seems to be doing a wonderful job.
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:37 am

If you have AVG anti-virus free program (rather than their internet security package which isn't free) it will do an excellent job with viruses but won't stop spyware and malware.

Personally, I also run Ad-Aware Plus and Spybot S&D as well. My firewall (Zone Alarm) also includes anti-spyware that runs on a daily basis. I also use a couple of others but that's "belt and braces".

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 am

We have the full AVG Internet Security package which includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam and firewall.

When we had the virus problem it was Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D that I downloaded which did the trick at the time.

We used to use Norton but it was more expensive to upgrade and I'd heard a lot about how useless it was (after we'd bought it)!!

Touch wood everything has been fine since...
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 pm

lshall05 wrote:We have the full AVG Internet Security package which includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam and firewall.
It's a nice package (which I didn't buy as I had all the other stuff already. I still run Ad-Aware, Spybot et al because no program catches everything .......... I may be paranoid but I've not had any problems.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”