android tv box

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
mythos master

android tv box

Postby mythos master » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi,anybody here got one of these or know anything about them please ?
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

thebigbluecheese

Re: android tv box

Postby thebigbluecheese » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:23 am

Yes I have a minix 8 Plus and I do know a bit about the boxes

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 am

Android equivalent of Apple TV. Connect HDMI output to your TV. Connect the box to your router, either with Ethernet or WiFi, and Robert's your father's brother.

I'm not certain but I don't think you can set up a VPN on the box so, unless you can adjust your router to use a smart DNS service, you are a bit limited on what you can access. Many UK services, like BBC iPlayer, will recognise your Greek IP address and refuse to stream content. If you are willing to pay a regular fee you can get round this. For example look at http://www.expatvision.tv

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 am

They are excellent as long as you have at least a 3mb internet connection. You can install VPN on them, no problem but you don't really need a VPN unless it is for I.player, but you can get live BBC without VPN and download most UK TV after transmission, again, without the need for a VPN. No need for a sat dish anymore as long as you have the internet, can get any UK Channel, all sport, F1, latest movies, the lot for just set up cost, no on-going subs.....simples.
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:44 am

STEVE.W wrote:...You can install VPN on them, no problem...

Is that true of all Android based TV boxes, Steve? I am aware that it is possible to install a VPN on a native Android device, like a tablet or a smart phone, but I thought some TV boxes shipped with modified versions of Android that didn't allow this functionality?

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:54 pm

As far as I am aware Warwick. There are apps for VPN's now that work on boxes I have dealt with but generally you still have to pay for the VPN. There are rumours however, that the Beeb are looking at blocking VPN access to I.Player so I guess it's wait & see on that one

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:34 pm

STEVE.W wrote: There are rumours however, that the Beeb are looking at blocking VPN access to I.Player so I guess it's wait & see on that one

Hi Steve, do you think this will apply to the BBC'c RTMP streaming protocol as used by "get-iplayer" ?

A third party tool for accessing BBC iPlayer content

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:38 am

There is an add on within the Kodi system that you can download . BBC Iplayer , does not need a VPN . If you search BBC iplayer for KODI you will find it

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 am

According to Kodi Community Forum the BBC iPlayer for Kodi DOES BLOCK non-UK IP addresses? See http://kodicommunity.com/tag/bbc-iplayer/ for example.

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:57 am

No idea if it will apply to Get.i.Player, have not heard or read anything about them blocking that, time will tell I guess but as with most technology based things, a work around will become available sooner or later. Even if the addon in Kodi was blocked, if you use Kodi (and you would be crazy not to) you have access to live BBC, ITV, SKY and lots more, what you don't have is the "on demand" of i.player if it goes, however, you can set up a PVR within Kodi but it is something I personally have not played about with as I have no need to, I can get 99% of programmes from various sources so don't need catch up services such as i.player, example just got last nights BBC1 Who do you think you are? the 4th and final episode of World's Busiest Railway BBC2 in minutes with no need for i.player and I can watch it whenever I want, no 30 day limit, I can hot swap anything on memory sticks between people etc. Easy I guess when you know how but might sound a bit daunting to a technophobe.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Its working on mine . I think you might be confused with the official iplayer and the addon . On the addon , in settings , you press a button " proxy " which turns blue when on . This acts as a VPN , so you get all the bells and whistles that BBC iplayer offers . As for ITV player etc , there is no addon with a Proxy button as yet so a free or paid for VPN has to be installed into the KODI set up for that to work

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am

So,i got me a box,fully loaded,maybe it has too much on it,certainly looks like some stuff i'll never use,that apart very confusing,can't seem to find progs/channels for a second time,some films don't play,really after some films bt sport and fox sport
any tips greatly appreciated
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:25 am

Sounds to me like you is looking in the wrong place and it more than likely isn't programed with the correct repositories, you need Pheonix & Navi X installing in Kodi to obtain reliable streams.

Steve

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:48 am

It takes a little bit of tinkering to get it right . Most people are now installing other peoples builds on thier android boxes . I run the beast build . Once installed it configures everything for you .. one word .. AMAZING .. take a look , its easy to install
https://seo-michael.co.uk/the-beast-build-for-kodi/

To Install follwo these simple instructions ...
In Kodi go to

File manager,

Add Source,

Type Url http://chrisbwizard.pcriot.com/kodi/

(alternate link if above is down. Type Url http://spartanpixel.net/repo/ )

name it Chrisbwizard

click ok and back to home page.

Then go to settings,

then addons,

then install from zip file,

then go to Chrisbwizard,

and load the ChrisB wizard. (File name plugin.video.chrisbWIZARD1.0.2.zip)

Once installed (there will be a pop up)

you will need to go back to home screen.

SECTION 2

Go to Video and select addons,

Video addons,

Chris B Wizard addon,

then select the build you want

Chris B 1810

Chris B Simple

Chris B The Beast

Etc...

Then Click the Build to install and wait for it to load.

If all goes well after the download reaches 100% you will see it extracting,

wait till this has reached 100%.

Next you will have a box telling you that Kodi needs to be force closed.

If using Android or firestick DO NOT click OK but wait a minute and PULL THE POWER PLUG OUT.

Sounds drastic but apparently it works the best.

On next start Kodi will have the build on it installed completely, though possibly slow for the first half hour as it checks for addon updates.

After that it should be fine each time you use it unless there are addons searching for more updates.

Visit our Website http://chrisbwizard.pcriot.com

George

Postby George » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Does this get round the multiple installing of different packages for different things? At present I use Dexter TV for sports and was told I needed Phoenix for watching films. I don't mind installing a lot of packages but if one "build" could do it all that would be pretty amazing.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”