Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
alansmithnl
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Living in Armenoi
Contact:

Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby alansmithnl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, offered WIN 10 upgrade for free. Why have they done this? It is a well known fact that they certainly do co operate with the US Government on many things, though they are limited. I will explain the reason I am posting this just a little later. Daisy complained that something (Skype?) had unauthorised access to her camera and posted a photo of her (that was taken some weeks ago) on the Skype advertising bar etc. As far as I can see, there is probably more than one culprit, the first being a virus, but that prompted me to do a little research.
First of all, I know some of you are using Win 10 and why not. I use it myself and am impressed on the new stable operating system. However, there is a caveat, so read part of Microsoft's Privacy Statement reproduced below.

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that in doing so is necessary to:
1. Comply with the applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
2. Protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury to anyone;
3. Operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer system or networks;
4. Protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement


Chilling statement isn't it?

I have posted a link here, so you may all read, digest, appraise and get windows 10 up to your liking and get rid of the spying element. It's not too difficult to follow or perform the tasks, but it is something you all need to consider. I'm not scare-mongering, just informing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 32300.html

I know many of you will have some sort of comments, but hey, I am only a messenger, so don't shoot me. There's probably more as well. There was one software package that was available to do all of this and more, but it was taken down off the website very quickly, like last night! If I can find that link again, I will post it. It was a very hairy description of what is now spying on you, on your own computer and all listed.

Alan

Kilkis
Posts: 10958
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:50 pm

I have a feeling that the statement regarding emails will only apply if you create a Microsoft account and use the Windows 10 email client. Personally I cannot understand why anybody would do that? I certainly won't be when I upgrade. Similarly I cannot understand why people use Hotmail, Yahoo etc email accounts? I am constantly receiving spam, supposedly from genuine contacts, because their account has been hacked and their email address book stolen. The same applies to BTInternet because they effectively use Yahoo. I also don't store anything in the cloud. As far as I am concerned anything in the cloud is available to anybody who has the necessary skills to access it and that is a huge number of people. Because of the ubiquitous nature of Windows I'm sure Windows One Drive will be a very tasty target for hackers.

Warwick

alansmithnl
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Living in Armenoi
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby alansmithnl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:32 pm

Yes, Warwick, you are quite correct. The cloud, or anything to do with computing whilst online is getting downright dangerous. Unless you get some sort of really sophisticated firewall. I like the Major Geeks website as they provide you free email service to let you know of any developments (good or bad) in the Windows 10 arena. I see their recommendations for another slim down windows 10 anti-spying removal tool. I was amazed at just how many applications are tracking your every move and sending data to Microsoft. I don't use Bing anyway as they're one of the other culprits, but the list goes on when you do more research. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... pying.html

I think the only thing you can do if you have particularly sensitive files is to do everything offline on a computer which is not connected to the internet. I have one running XP as I needed a program that could cope with my Yamaha SW1000XG sound card. The drivers and support are just not available any more for anything higher that Win 98. I have pseudo drivers for win XP, but it doesn't perform well any more and crashes frequently.
Anyway, I digress, I think everyone should know what is happening regarding win 10.
If you want to keep something private, or between friends and family, don't send it over the web, unless you have a brilliant encryption program.
Read all the comments further down on the Major Geeks link, they will certainly make you sit up and take notice.
Alan

Kilkis
Posts: 10958
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:50 pm

I do use both Bing and Yahoo as search engines some of the time because I am sick and tired of Google top loading all searches with sponsored results. If Yahoo and Bing can find quite specific searches as the first return item and Google cannot even get it on the first page then something is seriously wrong. When searching for products I also object to the sponsored results that claim "Get best prices for grunge spurglers on..." and the site doesn't even sell grunge spurglers. A very common occurrence with Google. I am pretty laid back about privacy on what I search for although I do try to limit cookies as much as possible. That seems to get harder every day since many sites won't even load if you don't have cookies enabled. Virtually all web sites seem to have a pop-up cookie policy statement so why don't they list in there exactly which URLs you have to accept cookies from.

I was looking at ekathimerini on a tablet the other day and it started playing sound from one of the sponsored ads down the right hand side. There was no way to turn the ad off so I simply turned the sound down to zero. The next time I went back to the front page it started playing the ad again and it turned the volume back up.

Warwick

YoMo2
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Kilkis wrote:I do use both Bing and Yahoo as search engines some of the time because I am sick and tired of Google top loading all searches with sponsored results.


Surprised you say that. I completely agree about Google's ads, but when I changed to Yahoo on the basis of your comments it seemed no better to me. I did a search for "London Underground zones". Four sponsored ads came up at the top of the results. One was for business class flights, one for a weight loss programme, one for Travel Lodge, and one for Bus Passes. Not much of a link anywhere there. Not sneering, just wonder why my experience doesn't match yours.

Kilkis wrote:I was looking at ekathimerini on a tablet the other day and it started playing sound from one of the sponsored ads down the right hand side. There was no way to turn the ad off so I simply turned the sound down to zero. The next time I went back to the front page it started playing the ad again and it turned the volume back up.


Wow! They really have got it off to a tee. I guess soon the word "intrusive" will disappear from all dictionaries since it will have become meaningless to all but the geriatric....

Andrew

filippos
Posts: 5712
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby filippos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Kilkis wrote:.... started playing sound from one of the sponsored ads down the right hand side. There was no way to turn the ad off so I simply turned the sound down to zero. The next time I went back to the front page it started playing the ad again and it turned the volume back up.
I got quite excited recently when reading the Telegraph Technology Advice column. Instructions on how to turn off video autoplay on various browsers, including all the main ones. Followed the instructions (easy peasy) for Firefox, my main browser of choice, and Lo, it came to pass that videos remained silent .......................

That now needs to be re-stated. Some autoplay videos remain silent until the start button is clicked (I know they're autoplay by checking on the laptop without the supposed block) but some of the crafty b*gg*rs producing this (usually) rubbish have obviously found a way round the blocking facility.

scooby
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby scooby » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 am

Kilkis wrote:I do use both Bing and Yahoo as search engines some of the time because I am sick and tired of Google top loading all searches with sponsored results. If Yahoo and Bing can find quite specific searches as the first return item and Google cannot even get it on the first page then something is seriously wrong. When searching for products I also object to the sponsored results that claim "Get best prices for grunge spurglers on..." and the site doesn't even sell grunge spurglers. A very common occurrence with Google. I am pretty laid back about privacy on what I search for although I do try to limit cookies as much as possible. That seems to get harder every day since many sites won't even load if you don't have cookies enabled. Virtually all web sites seem to have a pop-up cookie policy statement so why don't they list in there exactly which URLs you have to accept cookies from.

I was looking at ekathimerini on a tablet the other day and it started playing sound from one of the sponsored ads down the right hand side. There was no way to turn the ad off so I simply turned the sound down to zero. The next time I went back to the front page it started playing the ad again and it turned the volume back up.

Warwick
I don't quite get the thing about google ads? I only use google and have no problem whatsoever??
Get Brexit done.

filippos
Posts: 5712
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby filippos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:48 am

It's sometimes a bit irritating that the first page of results is topped by several 'sponsored' results', aka adverts, that frequently are irrelevant to the specified search, even when the search terms entered are very specific. Sometimes valid search results get pushed to the second page. Apparently the majority of searchers rarely even bother to look at the second page of results.

Generally, this doesn't bother me as I seem to have the ability to ignore the ads.

Kilkis
Posts: 10958
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:55 am

scooby wrote:...I don't quite get the thing about google ads? I only use google and have no problem whatsoever??


I don't mean the Google ads down the right hand side. If you look at any Google search the top results are usually sponsored replies. They still appear as ordinary search results but in reality they are at the top not because they are the most relevant but because somebody has paid Google to put them at the top. I've had searches where the thing I was really searching for wasn't on the first page, despite a very specific search criterion. Putting the same criterion into Yahoo or Bing gave it as the first result.

Basically I use Google.co.uk first but, if Google doesn't come up with what I want, I then try Yahoo and/or Bing. It's no big deal. All of them, plus some others like Wikipedia, are set up in my search box on Firefox so I don't need to type the criterion again. Just click inside the box and then click on a search engine in the drop down menu. If it is something specifically Greek then it is also worth trying google.gr .

Warwick

George
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby George » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:12 am

Google, Intel, Microsoft and others have been spying on us since the pentium processor days. If you want some form of anonymity when browsing, then use something like the TOR browser. If you don't want someone spying on every internet search then use something like DuckDuckGo as your search engine. Always have at least a couple of email addresses, one you don't care about and one for family and friends, for example. The fact that Windows whatever is spying on you is about as new as learning that Moseley had a tendency to wear black shirts. You can make informed choices, dare I say just google it?

filippos
Posts: 5712
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby filippos » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 am

George wrote:If you want some form of anonymity when browsing, then use something like the TOR browser. If you don't want someone spying on every internet search then use something like DuckDuckGo as your search engine. Always have at least a couple of email addresses, one you don't care about and one for family and friends, for example.
Anyone following my browsing, Internet searches or e-mail would die from boredom. Can't be bothered with TOR (I do have one security program* that provides 'private' or 'anonymous' browsing but I've never used the facility. I trialled DuckDuckGo for two weeks, thought it was awful so gave up on it.

On my own domains I have about ten e-mail addresses (out of the hosting company's limit of 10,000) for different uses plus I subscribe to a service offering, at their lowest service level, up to 500 addresses which I can suspend or delete at will. Those I used for newsletter subscriptions and forums like this because if anyone sells, or a 'crawler' program picks up, an address I can delete it or suspend it. You've probably seen on here something like filippos.crystal@spamex.com. **. Mail is routed through the service, in both directions, anonymously. I can record/save details of what an address has been used for and if, e.g., I start getting spam I can identify who's (probably) sold that address. Suspend or delete the address, job done. It costs an horrendous amount .................... US$9.00p.a.


* One of many available
** That one doesn't exist now.

Loretta9

Re: Windows 10 is checking your every move!

Postby Loretta9 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 am

All you have to do is sit in the Crown Court and watch as the Police exhibit total access to computers and phones. Proof enough that total access is in use.
Your mobile phone is almost an iD card.


Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest