Sky Box

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Cruc

Sky Box

Postby Cruc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth bringing out to Crete a spare Sky box I have. We are located in Chania near Kokkino Chorio and would like to be able to watch the news in English. If we are able to watch anything else then that’s a bonus. I am happy to have a dish but would not like one the size that NASA would use. Any help would be appreciated. :) :)
Regards
Cruc

Kilkis

Re: Sky Box

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:37 pm

You need at least a 1.2 m diameter dish to get any Sky signals at all. I use a 1.8 m but it doesn't really make much difference to what I can receive.

Without a Sky contract I think you will get Sky News and very little else. I can't tell you for certain because I have a Sky contract so get much more. As far as I know virtually all the UK free to air channels are on a very narrow beam that cannot be picked up here with anything of sensible size.

If you want a Sky contract you need to set it up in the UK using a UK address before you come, e.g. address of a friend or relative. I have been told it is now impossible to set up a new contract without somebody from Sky visiting your house. I have no idea if this is correct or not but clearly, if it is, it stops you setting up a contract remotely when you get out here, which used to be possible.

If you are able to get a land-line broadband contract with a decent speed you can access far more over the internet using a VPN to access the various UK broadcast internet players, through free services like Filmon or through paid for services such as Expatvision.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Not really enough information, do you have an address in the UK with a current Sky contract?
Is the house unoccupied when you are here, if so, just bring the viewing card with you when you come.

If you have internet here, then another good option is an Android TV box. I can get all UK terrestrial channels, plus loads of Sky channels (including F1) without a VPN.
There are also hundreds of TV series and programmes available, plus most of the latest films - latest Star wars is on there (although not very good quality)
There is also the option of `Sky Go' via internet using a VPN, if you do have a UK contract, or the option of TV via satellite / broadband via OTE https://www.cosmote.gr/fixed/en/consumer/products-services/tv

Cruc

Postby Cruc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Thank you Peebee and Warwick for your responses.

We live in the UK and have a contract with Sky. The intention was to bring the viewing card out to use whilst there on holidays. The last time we were in Crete I did try and use the Sky Go via my mobile and it just said service unavailable.

We don’t have access to a land line as we are quite a way from a major road and we have been advised that we would have to pay for poles to be installed.

I think we will bring the Sky box with us and try to have a dish fitted. Is there a local Company who you would recommend to use.
Regards

Cruc

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Hitek are very good.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Warwick, could you possibly make a list of the programmes that you can receive, please?

Peebee, what minimum download speed does the Android box require?

Thanks,

Martin

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:07 am

Martin

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I am assuming that if your internet is fast enough to watch TV on a PC without buffering, then the Android box will be no different.
This is the one I bought - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WWIUIN2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:14 am

Peebee, the box you bought gets awful reviews , There are so many about at the moment . If anyone is thinking of buying one I would do some research and comparasons. You can get cheap ones buts not really worth it . Go for one with as much memory as you can find , fast processor and avoid " fully loaded" boxes . These sometimes have the sellers own version of Kodie and can be a nightmare if you want to update or add yor own preferences on . Avoid ones from China , they are cheap imitations and again not worth your while . Saying that if you dont mind buffering get a cheap as chips one from China...

I have had experiance of quite a few boxes since the inception of XBMC and have been streaming now for about 3 years After a lot of research into TV boxes, I came up with this one I dont have any interest in the company that sells these boxes but here it is http://www.retailgadgets.co.uk/Minix-Ne ... 40711.html

Like I said , its best to compare as new and more powerfull ones are appearing all the time

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

Got no problems with it, a friend bought the exact same one and they have no problems either (as far as I know).
Works well enough - rarely get any buffering, if I do it's only for 2 or 3 seconds during the whole programme.
It was my primary entry into the Android box world, and didn't exactly break the bank at less than £60, can always upgrade later.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:20 pm

SatCure wrote:Warwick, could you possibly make a list of the programmes that you can receive, please?

Peebee, what minimum download speed does the Android box require?

Thanks,

Martin

Will do.

ExpatVision that operates a paid for service using an Android box recommend 2 Mbps for SD channels and more for HD. Netflix recommend 3 Mbps for SD and 5 Mbps for HD. I've also seen 2 Mbps for SD and 4 Mbps for HD quoted. I know people who are successfully using Android boxes that have pretty marginal speeds relative to these requirements but do suffer from buffering as their speed slows. I have been told Sunday night is particularly bad but I don't know if that is just one village or more general.

Personally I can't tell the difference between SD and HD. I think most of the HD content streamed is 720 vertical pixels so there isn't really such a big difference from SD. I am sure full 1080 HD would look better. I suspect the TV up-scales whatever it is receiving to its native resolution so the quality may also depend on the TV up-scaling software.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks. I'm getting 3.41 Mbps so no good for HD.
Actually, I was getting 0.7 Mbps but I'll start a separate post about that, for your edification and delight!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:47 pm

If it's a fairly consistent 3.4 Mbps then you shouldn't have any problem with SD.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:38 pm

SD is fine.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:46 pm

SatCure wrote:Warwick, could you possibly make a list of the programmes that you can receive, please?...

Hi Martin. Can you PM me an email address and I will send you the list of channels that I found on a Sky + HD box.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”