Tooway satellite broadband

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
paul g

Tooway satellite broadband

Postby paul g » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Anyone on here using Tooway for streaming UK TV channels, if so are you still getting good results (no or very little buffering), or are there any problems.

Toying with the idea of getting a system, any comments appreciated.

BST

Re: Tooway satellite broadband

Postby BST » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Yes! Had it nearly 3 years now. No problems at all. Around 18 - 20 mbps download. We frequently live stream 2 different TV programmes at once as other half watches sport and I watch something else so even fairly needy Skygo and ITVhub will stream at the same time without buffering. Even in a different room upstairs it works perfectly with a booster, around 14mbps. Weather doesn't appear to affect it either. We have a UK IP address which is great but I believe VPNs don't work well with satellite internet.

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Sounds good, the UK IP address is making it look attractive.

Therowlies

Postby Therowlies » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 pm

You just need to be aware that at peak times (i.e. evenings) it is possible to be subjected to throttling on your service if there is a lot of demand. This could mean some buffering. If you only watch in standard definition it probably will not be an issue but if you watch in HD it may become an issue. (I nearly always watch in HD as I use a projector).

I have been with Tooway for over 2 years and lucky to be on the Unlimited Package (which is not available anymore). As I found out, unlimited data does not mean unlimited speed and have had issues with buffering due to my speed being disrupted. Normally service is pretty good but can be disrupted by bad weather either here or the base station at the other end of the satellite stream.

I have just re-instated my Sky Box to take advantage of the On Demand service which means that I can now download all UK mainstream programmes (despite them not being available 'live') at off peak times and watch the recorded programmes in the evening without fear of buffering.

Tooway is not cheap but I am in a remote area and have no other alternative. However, if a land based service was available I would seriously consider it.

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Sounds like you are unlucky. We have never been throttled back or experienced a drop in reception because of the weather. We are lucky to have unlimited as well and certainly use the internet a lot! Wimbledon fortnight, and we stream virtually all day. Maybe it's down to who you got your Tooway from??? As our download is around 18 - 20 mbps, it would be unlikely that problems would occur even with HD. Our only problems have been with our wifi but not with Tooway itself.

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 pm

I have just re-instated my Sky Box to take advantage of the On Demand service which means that I can now download all UK mainstream programmes (despite them not being available 'live') at off peak times and watch the recorded programmes in the evening without fear of buffering.

nice touch.

Out of interest what firm did you people get your kit from, and also your rough locations.

Therowlies

Postby Therowlies » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Tooway and Sky was installed by Derek and Karen at www.hiteksoundandvision.com.

They are located west of Chania but are the agents for Tooway for Greece and travel all over for installations. Great couple who provide a top rate service for everything satellite and networking.

I am located on the west coast near Falasarna, Kissamos.

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:18 pm

We watch live TV via the laptop or tablet plugged into TV but never have buffering, even upstairs and through a couple of stone walls. We bought from Bentley Walker and had someone local to install it.

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:53 am

Just one word of warning about using a satellite system.
if you are an on-line game player (World of Tanks is my weakness) then you will experience problems with high ping - around 600ms, which make such games pretty much unplayable.

paul g

Postby paul g » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:47 am

Update. ordered my Tooway system from Hitek (Karen & Derek) very nice people, went for the self install option.
Installed it over weekend, switched on Monday morning up and running nice, plumbed in smart TV now have BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub giving good results.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:54 am

What's the current monthly cost and data cap?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Full details on the SatInternet page of the HiTek web site.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks, Warwick.

(Chuffin' heck - €100 a month for my requirements. I'll stick with the slow landline!)

Tweedie

Postby Tweedie » Fri May 06, 2016 3:51 pm

We were looking at Tooway, however the fact that it was limited has put us off due to having teenagers who are most likely to go over the limit - my husband didn't want to be constantly policing it. So we are going to try Virus - anyone used them?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri May 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Tweedie, Are they another satellite internet provider, can you post a link the company Virus? ...I have been using tooway for years and very happy with it ...Where we live out in the sticks up a mountain it's good to have a stand alone system when the power goes off or the phone line is cut.(, as happens most winters some time for 48 hours ).. but always interested in alternatives ...jeff

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”