Crete driving is appalling !

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
George

Re: Crete driving is appalling !

Postby George » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47 pm

The middle east is certainly the worst place for lunatic drivers, although it is my belief this is due to their lifestyle, tethered by their religion. Young men can't go to pubs, clubs, theatres etc, have no contact with the opposite sex and are left with their car as their main outsource of testosterone fuelled mayhem on the roads, inevitably leading to the highest recorded death rate in the world. I think it is Kos that has two roundabouts where you give way to traffic from differing directions at each, which seems strange at first but understandable when you relax into their way of driving. The only trouble I ever had in Crete was trying to get parked once in Chania where it seemed the entire population had driven in on that particular day. I now know the procedure for two cars coming head to head on a one track mountainside, and know that the toot of the horn is because you can't see the lights. I've never seen anyone getting the "finger" whilst driving and was even greeted with smiles when I mistakenly drove into someones garden. In short, it's one of the nicest places to drive I have ever been to.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm

You would not be "getting the finger" here...it's not really a known gesture. Try the μούντζα instead ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountza )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 pm

I've had the μούντζα thrown at me once while driving. I was overtaking when the driver of a car coming the other way signalled it out of his window. I have no idea why. Although it was a two lane road, as judged by the markings, it was about five lanes wide where I did the overtaking. Perhaps it was because he was driving straddling the central white line and he didn't like having to pull over into his own lane. I smiled and waved, as though I was responding to a friendly gesture, which seemed to get him even more wound up.

Warwick

George

Postby George » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 am

Sorry for the slight digression but I remember a conversation with my Greek teacher a few years ago where I asked if this meant τρω σκατα and she said no, it's a gesture used when a mistake is made, and many people even do it to themselves upon making an error. Is it so, or was she talking the aforementioned?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

George wrote:Sorry for the slight digression but I remember a conversation with my Greek teacher a few years ago where I asked if this meant τρω σκατα and she said no, it's a gesture used when a mistake is made, and many people even do it to themselves upon making an error. Is it so, or was she talking the aforementioned?

It is mostly used to insult the other person so if you are using that analogy it would be more like να φας σκατα excuse the language! I would more liken it to meaning 'you idiot' or 'malaka' probably. And yes people do it to themselves too when they have done or said something stupid.

Return to “Chatter”