Ballot papers

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Jeffstclair

Ballot papers

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am

Has anyone got their ballot papers for the UK election yet ?...

altohb

Re: Ballot papers

Postby altohb » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 am

No - I read somewhere yesterday that people in the UK who do postal voting have started to receive theirs, so hopefully we'll get ours soon.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed May 17, 2017 9:05 am

We should receive ballot papers "around 24th May" according to our postal poll cards.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 17, 2017 11:18 am

Whats a postal poll card ! I've not got one of those...

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 am

I've never received a postal poll card either; neither have the ballot papers arrived yet but it sounds like they may be on their way, hopefully in enough time to get them back before their deadline.
Someday is now : )

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Just rang the elections office at our local council - for people who have been registered for a while for postal votes (like us) the papers are starting to be sent out now. Don't know about "new" registrations. Suggest you contact your local office for an answer, Jeff.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Well I just got a Email from the elections officer where I am registered ,and she says the ballot papers were sent out yesterday direct from the printers so far so good ....jeff

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed May 17, 2017 4:09 pm

The postal poll card is what the Returning Officers send out to people registered as postal voters, about a month before the actual ballot papers are sent to them. (Well they do that in West Dorset anyway. Perhaps not all returning officers do so?) It's just a large postcard informing recipients that the postal votes are on the way, with a number to call if they are not received by 2nd June. Belt and braces job I suppose.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks Mixos. We are registered to vote in North London and they don't send out notification of ballot papers about to be sent. In some ways it would be useful.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am

Yin&Yang wrote:...In some ways it would be useful.

...but it is also an additional cost. Does the benefit justify the cost? Mark Twain is usually quoted as saying, “If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.” although there is no actual evidence that he ever said it. I tend to prefer the The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band version, "No Matter Who You Vote For The Government Always Gets In"

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 am

:lol:

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 pm

It's now apparent that May wants to throw the election. The Tory manifesto is possibly the worst I have witnessed in sixty years. Me thinks May knows that Brexit is impossible to deliver on without destroying the British economy, hence the deliberately aggressive and savage manifesto, particularly in regard to the middle aged and old aged pensioners.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm

An alternative interpretation is that the polls are saying she cannot lose so she is using the opportunity to implement unpopular measures that every government would like to push but daren't. You can bet your life that whatever is unpopular to one person is popular to another.

I think when it comes to Brexit all the politicians and political commentators are discussing it as though there are a range of options and it is simply a matter of negotiating the best deal. In practise I do not believe that is true. I think there is only one option and that is with the UK outside the single market and the customs union and trading with the EU under WTO rules.

The UK cannot stay in the single market and the customs union and simultaneously be able to negotiate trade deals with countries outside the EU. That is a practical function of how the single market operates and is irrespective of any EU rules such as free movement, implementing EU rules or paying into the budget. As long as the UK is inside the single market there are no checks, no customs barriers just totally free movement. A manufacturer of widgets in Birmingham can load them onto a truck and send them to Berlin, Bologna or Barcelona just as easy as sending them to Bradford or Barnsley. No checks, no special customs paperwork, nothing. Anybody importing to the EU has to go through a customs check wherever they enter the EU and are charged the appropriate tariff at that point of entry. Suppose a US manufacturer of widgets has to pay a 10 % tariff when he sends his products to the EU. Now suppose the UK does an independent trade deal with the US under which the US manufacturer can send widgets to the UK with 0 % tariff. If the UK is still inside the single market those widgets can then be sent on to any other EU country with 0 % tariff. The UK trade deal effectively becomes an EU wide trade deal whether the rest of the EU want it or not. Being inside the single market and being able to do independent trade deals are mutually exclusive. You can have one or the other.

Much is talked about the UK trading with the EU under WTO rules as the worst possible outcome. In reality I think it is the only outcome. Currently the UK is a member of the WTO as part of the EU and the EU represents all its member states as a single WTO entity. When the UK leaves the EU it will become a WTO member in its own right. The UK and the EU will be independent members of the WTO and so will be bound by WTO rules. The overriding rule of the WTO is referred to as "most favoured nation". If any WTO member does a favourable trade deal with another WTO member it has to offer the same trade deal to every other WTO member. Does anybody believe that the EU will do a significant zero tariff trade deal with the UK and then have to offer the same deal to China, India, many African countries and the USA? I think Theresa May knows this which is why she is talking about walking away if she cannot get a good deal. I think the EU negotiating team also knows this which is why they want to settle the bill before discussing any new trade deal.

Just my opinion of course but I don't see a way round it other than a Norway type deal, which I don't think the majority would accept.

Warwick

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Excellent contribution Warwick. Of course the opening item on the agenda, £50/60 million divorce bill will scupper the talks. If paid it will scupper May and the Tories, if not paid it will scupper the negotiations and hence the British economy. May and her cronies knows this, hence the outlandish manifesto. Notice how the manifesto is weighted against the middle/old age pensioner, once the bulwark of the Tory support. If this is not deliberately designed to disgust and repel their main support then all I can say is trump must have had a hand in it.

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri May 19, 2017 7:50 pm

How many people actually vote on the basis of the manifestos, I wonder?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't people's entrenched opinions and 'personality' favourites that decided which way people vote.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I'm the pessimistic sort... :-)
----
Phil
----

Return to “Chatter”