Wasps still around

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Mixos

Wasps still around

Postby Mixos » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:30 pm

I know we touched on this topic briefly in another post a few weeks ago, but does anyone else agree that wasps have been and continue to be a particular menace this year? Yes I know they can smell cat food at 100 paces and we have only ourselves to blame for that, but I can't remember when there have been quite so many of them around this late in the year. I imagine there are sound reasons for their unusual number, but I can't help wishing for a really cold snap to finish them off. I'm speaking for the east end of the island, but I assume it's the same with the west end crowd. Any amateur (or professional) entomologists out there have an explanation?

altohb

Re: Wasps still around

Postby altohb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:10 pm

I agree, though they do seem to be slowly dying, as I keep finding dead ones. Wish they would go away - large bluebottle type flies ditto. We've never known so many flies this late in the year - October is normally the bad month, but they just go on and on.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah I have noticed this as well , Put it down to the fact that I still had dried and fermenting grapes on the Kravati out side the house, so last week end I stripped al the old fruit off, but still a few wasps about, The weather is still warm, but from mid November onwards we get a bit of snow up here, and the odd frosty morning hopefully we will get some good cold and wet weather soon that will sort them out ....

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:55 pm

We too have wasps and large bluebottle flies here in the West. The flies only turned up yesterday but the wasps have been coming into the house for a couple of weeks now.
Someday is now : )

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Mixos wrote:...........Yes I know they can smell cat food at 100 paces and we have only ourselves to blame for that,

Evidently I can't smell like cat food, then. I can't recall being aware of more than about ½ dozen wasps all year.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm

I'll send you some of ours if you like ......

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Worst year ever where I am, my neighbours and I lost count of the number of nests we had to get rid of in shrubs and trees.

My gardener got badly stung on his arms whilst cutting back Bougainvillea in August prior to the arrival of my young nephews on holiday. (They have a pathological fear of anything with yellow and black stripes.) He resorted to getting a local pest exterminator out to clear them.

Every day during the 18 weeks I was across in the summer there was a constant stream of them (up to six at a time) flying in to drink from the edge of the pool. Thankfully, I only suffered one sting myself when removing them from an A/C unit on my roof.

I am interested in the fact that cat food apparently attracts them, why should that be?

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Dry food doesn't but the tinned cat meat does. They eat meat. Watch them round plates at a taverna. They seem to love pork chops and why not I say.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 pm

I second that. I had to abandon a meal one evening when I was over in September. There were always at least four wasps hovering between me and the plate. And you seem unable to either swat them or shoo them away like you can their slower and more cumbersome UK cousins.

Tim

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Stop Press: Suddenly they have gone! Well, almost. Maybe it was last night's rain or the sudden temperature drop at night, but only a few stragglers remain and they are very sleepy. Warwick is right, Kathleen, they are carnivores alright. They do like a nice juicy brizola, but a tin of cat food will do.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 am

At dinner we set a separate plate on a corner of the table furthest from us (or on an adjacent surface) and place bones and unwanted gristle on it. The wasps prefer to swarm around that, rather than risking contact with humans.

The only time I have been stung is while riding my little motorbike (twice so far). The darn critturs get trapped under my chin strap and sting my neck before I can even stop. Thankfully, the pain lasts only a few minutes and I'm not left with any lasting itch - unlike mosquito bites!

mouche

Postby mouche » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:56 am

Return to “Chatter”