Help. Shotguns not allowed.

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Daisy

Help. Shotguns not allowed.

Postby Daisy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:09 pm

This is my arbor. It is at the end of my little garden with the rose Marechal Neil over it. It is one of my favourite places to sit in the garden, especially in the summer, as the rose keeps it nice and shady below. Sometimes I sit there with a book and a cup of tea, sometimes just with a glass of wine, looking at the flowers and dreaming for a while.

Image. by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

On the far side of the arbor, is a loquat tree.

Image. by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

There has always been a large family of sparrows that use the loquat tree. They roost in it, squabble in it and take shelter in the tree when the wind is strong.
That is fine, but lately they have abandoned the loquat tree and taken to the rose arbor. Consequently, the bench and paving beneath the rose is absolutely covered in bird crap.
It is unusable. As fast as I clean it, they soil it again.
What can I do????!!!!
Has any one any ideas?
My husband jokes that if I buy him a shotgun, he would clear the sparrows, but I need sensible suggestions. Anyone?
Daisy :x

SatCure

Re: Help. Shotguns not allowed.

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Erect a clear, polypropylene roof over the area. Make it slope at least 3 degrees. Easy to hose down when the rain doesn't do it for you.

George

Postby George » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Apparently hanging cd's on threads keeps them away as they don't like reflective surfaces.

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I have replied to this post twice and twice I have lost it. Third time lucky I hope.
SatCure. Thanks for your help, but I am confused. Do you mean covering the entire rose and arbor with the polypropylene? That would cause solarization for the rose, which would kill it. Or do you mean covering the bench and paving below the rose? That would not encourage the sparrows to go elsewhere, also, I can just see myself sleepily carrying my first cup of tea up to the seat, somehow removing the cover and sitting down to make the top of my head and my tea a target!
I have obviously misunderstood. Please explain.
Thanks. Daisy

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 pm

George, thank-you for your reply.
You are right with your idea about hanging CDs with reflective surfaces, birds do not like them. The trouble is, nor do I. Even if I had a number of redundant CDs, which I don't, the aesthetic look of my beautiful arbor would be ruined. I did think of tying up screwed up sheets of tinfoil, just temporarily until the rose blooms, but not only would the strong winds at this time of year wreck that easily, but also, what is to stop the darling little birdies returning?
Please don't think that I am not grateful for your idea. Please keep thinking, as I am stumped.
Daisy

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm

What about making one part of your beautiful garden so enticing for birds they just go there? ....

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm

How about adopting a cat?

Peter

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:52 pm

For Jeff.

Image094 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Sorry they are poor photos. The bally birds would not co-operate.

Image096 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Daisy

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 am

Well the problem is resolved for now and it wasn't anything I did.
I noticed recently, that the birds had stopped using my rose arbour. The seat and paving were remaining clean. I wondered for about 10 seconds why, then of course I realised that they were all busy making nests, laying eggs and hatching babies.
Thank God for sex. I can only hope that they will raise one brood after another and stay away from my arbour.
Daisy :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Doesn't that just mean that when they do return there will be more of them?

Warwick

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Thank-you for that thought Warwick.
Daisy

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 pm

By the way, Daisy, I wouldn't want to mess with the first cat in your photos, ginger, black and white. Looking at that face I am surprised there are any birds within a mile of your property. I christened my grey one "Ming the Merciless" because of the way she looks at me but it doesn't come close to yours for pure menace.

Warwick

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

We call her Little Sh**, because she is, in spite of being raised by us from the time that she was found abandoned as a baby. She was so tiny, her eyes were unopened and we had to feed her with a hypodermic syringe. Still, she likes curling up on my lap and purring a lot when she has stopped behaving like Vlad the Impaler for the day.
Daisy :)

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Daisy

I have a friend in UK who successfully uses a couple of extremely realistic rubber snakes to keep the birds off her espalier apricots. I would imagine that one or two snakes strategically placed in the top of your arbour would work wonders. You might need to research whether there's a particular type or species of snake that sparrows instinctively avoid, although I'd have thought anything dangerous looking would work.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rubber-snakes-bird-control-82162.html

I'm moving to Crete in early June - I'd be happy to bring you a fake reptile or two if you want me to. I believe I am two villages up from you. Let me know.

Tim

Return to “Chatter”