Any advice on starting a business in Crete?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
peebee

Re: Any advice on starting a business in Crete?

Postby peebee » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 am

Clio wrote:Went home walking steadily, cheered and relaxed, thanks in part to the raki.

A Cretan friend over the Eastern end of the Island always refers to it as `medicine' as it can be used for many things - good on insect bites I have found.
The proprietor at our regular watering hole, refers to it as `ασπιρίνη' - literal translation I believe is Aspirin, although I think it could also mean medicine.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 am

Ασπιρίνη is specifically Aspirin not the more generic "medicine". Medicine would be Φάρμακο or possibly Ιατρικό. For example when I go to renew my prescription I ask for Φάρμακα. Φάρμακο is also used for agricultural chemicals such as fertiliser and plant disease treatments/preventatives.

Warwick

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Just temporarily steering back to the original topic (my stocks of exported raki ran out some time ago ....), if the OP wants to find out about funding programs (and there are some EU ones available), try a quick trip to the local Chamber of Commerce. CoC websites seem to be regionalised, with just one for Crete in Heraklion http://www.ebeh.gr/web/guest, but there are local offices (there is definitely one in Rethymno). The Rethymno office wasn't especially dynamic, but your own local one may just tip up an enthusiastic younger staff member willing to chat about possibilities.

If you haven't already been dissuaded from your venture, I tend to echo the sentiments of others, having run a small business in Crete between 2005 and 2014. The change in the taxation and social security regimes during that time was considerable (and not in a favourable way), and we got out before the final social security concessions for rural businesses were scrapped entirely. Running a legal freelance business in Greece these days must be akin to standing on your house roof in a stiff breeze and throwing €50 notes in the air in the hope of catching them again. Flippancy aside, I find that to be a desperately sad state of affairs. Your idea seems to have merit.

Good luck.

Paul

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm

DobbyTheHouseElf wrote:I think the Lady meant it was not a good drink for the liver and your health ....otherwise its a good drink!
What makes you assume that? Even if your guess is right (which I suspect it isn't) does it matter what Tweet Tweet's reason is for condemning the stuff with a sweeping. "..........It is not a good drink".
Even if the condemnation were on health grounds I'd disagree. I've been drinking Tsikoudia for over 20 years without negative impact on my health. I've recently had an annual health check (the 1st in 5 years ;)) full range of blood tests, ultrasound scans of all major organs, a couple of CT scans, X-rays, cardiology check and every one indicated I'm very fit and healthy. The GP summed up, "You're healthier and fitter than most 45 year old men", which was quite pleasing at 76+.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Yes I think Raki is fairly benign ,when it's your own and you know whats in it. I have drunk some odd tasting stuff that has been offered to me and surreptitiously tipped it away. But mostly I think it's a pretty good drink...we have a very well organised village still 20 mts from the end of our garden so avoiding 24 hour partying is a thing I have had to become skilled at .....

DobbyTheHouseElf

Postby DobbyTheHouseElf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 pm

filippos wrote:
DobbyTheHouseElf wrote:I think the Lady meant it was not a good drink for the liver and your health ....otherwise its a good drink!
What makes you assume that? Even if your guess is right (which I suspect it isn't) does it matter what Tweet Tweet's reason is for condemning the stuff with a sweeping. "..........It is not a good drink".
Even if the condemnation were on health grounds I'd disagree. I've been drinking Tsikoudia for over 20 years without negative impact on my health. I've recently had an annual health check (the 1st in 5 years ;)) full range of blood tests, ultrasound scans of all major organs, a couple of CT scans, X-rays, cardiology check and every one indicated I'm very fit and healthy. The GP summed up, "You're healthier and fitter than most 45 year old men", which was quite pleasing at 76+.

I speak from my own health experiences .I had to give up the demon drink due to health problems .Namely severe heart burn and constant pain in the chest .I have the odd one but no more nights getting drunk on the stuff! ( well maybe the odd night ,probably once a month ,well maybe twice.).

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:25 pm

DobbyTheHouseElf wrote:I speak from experience .I had to give up the demon drink due to health problems .Namely severe heart burn and constant pain in the chest .I have the odd one but no more nights getting drunk on the stuff! ( well maybe the odd night ,probably once a month ,well maybe twice.).

That's an entirely different issue and doesn't answer the question I asked you. What makes you assume that "the Lady meant it was not a good drink for the liver and your health ....otherwise its a good drink!". The lady said "I make raki but only use it for cleaning jobs..................., it is not a good drink." There's nothing to indicate the grounds for calling it "not a good drink" but, from what she does say, I'm more inclined to think it's either the taste or the state of hygiene in the making process rather than its alcoholic effect on health (but only TT knows what she meant).
Alcoholic drink isn't a demon to everyone and, frankly, most manage to control the amount they drink and don't suffer harmful effects. Moderation in all things, as they say.
Whatever, this discussion is now way off topic and should now be ended or discussed elsewhere.

DobbyTheHouseElf

Postby DobbyTheHouseElf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am

filippos wrote:
DobbyTheHouseElf wrote:I speak from experience .I had to give up the demon drink due to health problems .Namely severe heart burn and constant pain in the chest .I have the odd one but no more nights getting drunk on the stuff! ( well maybe the odd night ,probably once a month ,well maybe twice.).

That's an entirely different issue and doesn't answer the question I asked you. What makes you assume that "the Lady meant it was not a good drink for the liver and your health ....otherwise its a good drink!". The lady said "I make raki but only use it for cleaning jobs..................., it is not a good drink." There's nothing to indicate the grounds for calling it "not a good drink" but, from what she does say, I'm more inclined to think it's either the taste or the state of hygiene in the making process rather than its alcoholic effect on health (but only TT knows what she meant).
Alcoholic drink isn't a demon to everyone and, frankly, most manage to control the amount they drink and don't suffer harmful effects. Moderation in all things, as they say.
Whatever, this discussion is now way off topic and should now be ended or discussed elsewhere.

Maybe its best to ask the Lady what she meant by it if she wrote it?

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:51 pm

You are a funny lot :)

Jeff is right re *quality* of said raki - (when I make it) mine is organic from the day it was born but takes some *vigilance* to ensure the end product is as clean as it can be...I prefer organic red wine for my daily tipple, hence (mostly) I use raki for cleaning :)

Fillipos it is great to read you are fit and well despite getting on to be a παππούs - I hope that means you don't take any e.g. bp medications, blood thinners et al.

I looked up a meaning of the dobbyhouself name - I'm not knowledgeable about Harry Potter. However, if you have heartburn and that sort of thing, chances are you actually have low stomach acid, but the characteristics of low and high stomach acid are mimics - *doctors* often can't be bothered to discern the difference so a *patient* gets things like Obramapolzole, (a proton pump inhibitor) and that makes the whole shooting match much worse.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Yep , I also prefer my own home grown red wine , if I go back to the UK I'm horrified by the price of wine and disappointed with the flavour ....I am interested to know what you can clean with raki , I must be missing a trick.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:55 pm

TweetTweet wrote:Fillipos it is great to read you are fit and well despite getting on to be a παππούs - I hope that means you don't take any e.g. bp medications, blood thinners et al.

I have two each of great-nephews and great-nieces, age range 3 to 18, but the likelihood of παππούs-hood minimal.
My son is determinedly single; "If I want to go to the pub at midnight I can go; new carpet or new camera lens? The carpet can wait. Weekend away? I go. I don't have to consider what anyone else might want so as long as I don't harm anyone I can do as I please whenever I want."
He meets up with old friends from university (a group of a dozen or so have a 10 day holiday together every year), goes on jaunts with a camera club, visits his old dad whenever, etc., etc. Self employed he works about eight months per year (and earns about twice as much as I did in a year) and spends the rest of the time on hobbies, several of which make money, too.

As for my health, pill-popping etc., I eat almost no processed food, veg mainly raw, meat of any colour, have a couple of glasses of of local red and a καραφάκι ρακί when eating out and maybe the same at home but usually forget. I rarely buy whisky 'cos I drink it. I take no medication of any kind (oops, about 3 months ago I took 2 Depon when afflicted by toothache) and very occasionally a Vit. B12.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yep , I also prefer my own home grown red wine , if I go back to the UK I'm horrified by the price of wine and disappointed with the flavour ....I am interested to know what you can clean with raki , I must be missing a trick.

My main cleaning agent is white vinegar (i.e. distilled) - I use surplus raki in the same way. I stopped using commercial chemical cleaning products in around 1995. I like lavender infused water for cleaning my floors - that sort of thing. :)

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Yes, we have given up using super market cleaning products , and use olive oil soap , wine vinegar , lemon juice and essential oils ...but never tried Raki. I must have at least 60 or 70 kilos of the stuff that I will never drink so I'm interested in what it's used for ...I find good drinkable raki exposed to the air for a while takes on a unpleasant smell ...so hesitate to use it for cleaning ....am I just being over cautious ?...

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:19 am

It works well on car windscreens and headlights.
I know it's a commercial product but dishwasher rinse stuff like Finish is good on windows - about a dessert-spoonful in a bucket of warm water. I apply and clean with a coarse cloth and dry with absorbent paper (or newspaper on the rare occasions we have any)for an easy smear-free result.

Return to “Chatter”