Taking care of Molly

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Peter W

Taking care of Molly

Postby Peter W » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am

Although cat lovers Monica and I vowed when we built our house on Crete that we would not have a cat – it simply was not practical as we split our time between the UK and Crete. It was not difficult to stick to this resolve as our Crete home is remote and we rarely saw cats near the house. Then Molly trotted into our lives, a small black and white kitten, incredibly cute, maybe 4 months old, she visited us every day and each day the visits got longer and the temptation to feed her harder to resist. Molly settled matters, she decided that our place was where she wanted to make her home and identifying me as the one most likely to give in and feed her focused her charm and affection on me. It didn’t take long, soon she was our cat, she had a name, she had a vet, she had all the necessary injections and she was spayed. Molly now spends her days following me around the garden, more like a puppy than a cat, if the weather is good she spends the night outdoors, if it is cold, wet or windy she prefers the comfort of the settee, or better still our bed. Handling our trips home was not at first difficult, she stayed in a cattery run by a wonderful couple from Germany, this year however the cattery owners have returned to Germany and we have been unable to find another cattery on the island.
Now we desperately need to find someone to take care of Molly during our trips back to the UK, next trip is mid Dec to mid Jan.
Alternatively and with heavy hearts we may consider finding her another loving home either in the UK or here in Crete. Molly is a very playful, affectionate cat, she likes being around people, she enjoys exploring the countryside around our house and returning with the occasional mouse or lizard but she also loves the comfort of home. We believe Molly will be three years old in January, she is used to being the only cat in the house and would probably prefer it to stay that way.
If you think you could provide a temporary or permanent home for Molly I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Peter

Molly.jpg
Molly.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

Graeme

Re: Taking care of Molly

Postby Graeme » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Oh she’s gorgeous !
Have you considered a pet sitter
Allow someone to stay in your house and keep Molly where she is happiest. I’d gladly volunteer even at that time of year but sadly my health is poorly.
I wish you and Molly good luck and I’ll keep an eye on this thread

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks Graeme,

I am happy to report that we have found someone to take care of Molly during our Xmas trip back to the UK.

We have previously used the website http://www.mindmyhouse.com to find house and pet sitters for longer periods and will almost certainly use the service again in the future

Peter

Graeme

Postby Graeme » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 am

Excellent News

She is very much like my cat who sadly we had to send to the happy heavens.
He broke a rear leg and we opted to have it pinned and braced, had to keep him indoors and in a large dog cage, after 3 months and a £1500 vet bill the vet felt confident the leg had healed and it was ok to let him roam freely. I’ll never forget the look he gave me as I let him out, within the hour a mouse was dropped beside my chair.

Sadly several days later he came limping home and a visit to the vets showed he had a tumour and nothing more could be done .
He bears a striking resemblance to your Molly.
So glad you got sorted.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm

What a sad sorry Graeme. We are also animal lovers, and understand your sorrow.

It is excellent news about Molly and your house sitter Peter. I have been following the thread like Graeme. You can now enjoy your trip to the U.K. knowing Molly will be happily waiting for you when you get home! She is a beautiful cat!

Graeme

Postby Graeme » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:54 pm

https://www.flickr.com/gp/59099619@N03/90Zx3H

Not sure if this will work if it does it’s my cat Robin on my daughters skateboard

BarryFromWatford

Postby BarryFromWatford » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Peter W wrote:Thanks Graeme,

I am happy to report that we have found someone to take care of Molly during our Xmas trip back to the UK.

We have previously used the website http://www.mindmyhouse.com to find house and pet sitters for longer periods and will almost certainly use the service again in the future

Peter

Its noticeable there are thousands and thousands of people wanting to do the house sitting and very very few who want a stranger sitting there house for them!I dont think I will be handing over 20 dollars to join this website even though I want to do house sitting!!!

Return to “Chatter”