Sticky topping on yoghurt

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
chrissyg

Sticky topping on yoghurt

Postby chrissyg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Cant remember what that lovely sticky stuff they put on yoghurt is. Is it small grapes or sultanas in syrup or what ?. It is amazing and does anyone have a recipe? I have forgotten its name.

Kilkis

Re: Sticky topping on yoghurt

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 am

Usually referred to as spoon sweets it could be almost anything preserved in a sugar syrup. Where I go it is usually the rind of oranges and lemons. In northern Greece it was often quince, especially this time of year. It could be grapes. Also try honey and walnuts.

Warwick

P&B

Postby P&B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 am

I've also had bergamot and cherry versions. Both lovely.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

It's quite possible that what I described as lemon was in fact bergamot, P&B, or possibly even grapefruit. Once it is preserved in a heavy syrup I find it difficult to distinguish. I just remembered that I have also had rose syrup. I think that typically the taverna owner will have made it themselves from whatever they happen to have rather than buy the fruit. Around my area the main crop is citrus fruit so they are likely to own citrus trees. In northern Greece citrus trees don't do well, because the temperature drops too low in winter, but quince is widely grown. Hence the variation.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 am

The one i seem to get frequently is definitely not citrus. It looks and tastes like very small grapes in a lovely thick sweet brown syrup. I would like to know how to make it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:03 am

This is one recipe. Many more here.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Aha, kouzona is the one. That looks like it, many thanks. I couldnt see how they were grapes , though i thought they were. I suppose they shrink in the boiling.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm

But wait until next summer to make it, when the small seedless grapes are in season and cheap. I wouldn't bother with the few grapes that are still around - too big, too pippy and too long in store.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I make it with Strawberries and Cherries when they are in season!

Kathleen

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Yeah I've had it made with tiny sultana grapes , it's ok but for me it's far much to sweet I really don't like sugary stuff ..the sultanas on their own are so sweet,,, Around here sun dried Sultanas used to be a massive part of the local economy . but now most of the sultanas get made into Raki ..

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:38 pm

I know its ridiculously sweet but it is just so lush on yoghurt. Im always pleased to get that in tavernas, or even yoghurt with honey,instead of the little cakes which seem to be more usual these days, or maybe its just different times of the year

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:56 pm

Yeah I've had it made with tiny sultana grapes , it's ok but for me it's far much to sweet I really don't like sugary stuff ..the sultanas on their own are so sweet,,, Around here sun dried Sultanas used to be a massive part of the local economy . but now most of the sultanas get made into Raki ..

Return to “Chatter”