Ellinair

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

Ellinair

Postby Clio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:56 pm

This useful-sounding domestic service offers free baggage allowance of one checked bag of up to 20 kilos and one cabin bag of up to eight kilos.

I'm flying with them from Athens to Crete in January, having done the first leg, from Heathrow, with British Airways. I would quite like to take full advantage of BA's really generous allowances, but if I do that I'll find myself at the Ellinair desk with more kilos and pieces of luggage than I'm allowed.

I was thinking to pre-book an extra case, but according to the Ellinair call centre, I can't do that. But I'm welcome to bring extra kilos or items if I am prepared to pay the excess baggage charge of two euros a kilo on the day. Compared with the rigid rules and sky-high excess rates of other airlines this seems extraordinarily cheap, relaxed and affordable.

Is it really that simple? Has anyone else had experience of the Ellinair set-up?

Kilkis

Re: Ellinair

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:48 pm

I've no experience of Ellinair but would make the following comments:

1 Dealing with excess baggage with any airline is usually very simple. They weigh your luggage and if it is overweight they simply send you to a customer service desk. You pay and go back to the check in desk with a paper proving you have paid. If any one case is particularly large you might then have to take that case to an overweight drop point. Otherwise they just go off down the conveyor belt as usual.
    2 Two Euro per kilo is very cheap. I had some problems at the Easyjet automatic check in section at Gatwick on my last flight in October. The first one I tried didn't recognise my boarding pass. The second one I tried recognised the boarding pass but claimed that my case was a little more than 1 kg overweight and I needed to pay £12. Fortunately it wouldn't recognise my credit card so I went back to the first one. It now recognised my boarding pass and logged my case as about 0.5 kg overweight for which it didn't charge me. Many years ago I was charged £28 by Easyjet for 4 kg excess.
    3 Greek airlines used to be a bit more relaxed about excess luggage than Easyjet and Ryanair. I had to fly back from London to Thessaloniki with Aegean after my mother had died and I had quite a lot of excess. First I hit a problem because the agent in Kilkis had not confirmed the tickets so the seats had been sold. Fortunately there were still two seats left so the Aegean office issued two new tickets. When the check in girl discovered the large excess she shouted the amount across to the person at the Aegean service desk who had sold us the tickets. He shouted back to only charge for half of it. I haven't used a Greek airline for a long time so I don't know if they have got tighter.

Have a good flight.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks Warwick. It is quite a light kitchen sink...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:40 am

I wouldn't jest, Clio. I've actually seen someone taking a kitchen sink through check in at Moscow airport on top of a supermarket trolley full of other crazy items. I've also helped some older Greek friends, who were on the same flight from Thessaloniki to London, to carry their cabin baggage because it was too heavy for them to lift. It was back in the day before restrictions on liquids and one holdall was full of glass litre bottles of tsipouro. I would guess it weighed about 25 kg. I asked why they hadn't used plastic bottles and they said that it spoiled the flavour. Another was full of olive oil and the other four, yes that's correct six cabin bags between two people, were full of food. The Olympic cabin crew didn't seem bothered at all.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 am

Aegean are certainly a lot stricter these days. At the Heathrow end cabin bags are checked for size and/or weighed both at check in and at the boarding gate. The suitcase allowance is 23 kg and I've never had any problems with that, but am very careful with the hand luggage as I don't want to fall foul of the 8kg limit. I often have all kinds of items in my coat pockets, to keep the case as light as possible.

Please report back on Ellinair, Clio - sounds interesting and almost too good to be true!

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 am

Will do!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 pm

altohb wrote:Please report back on Ellinair, Clio - sounds interesting and almost too good to be true!
I don't often take much notice of customer reviews (mainly food/hotels: there's usually no indication if people have actually used the services offered so there's no knowing how many are paid-for fake 5-star, competitors 1-star or vindictive customers who were refused a discount etc. ?-star. It might be different with airlines.
That said, Ellinair on Trip Advisor (say no more) averages roughly 45% of comments in the categories Average/Poor/Awful; in Greek language reviews that rises to about 60%. There are quite a lot complaining about delays up to 3-4 hours, last minute cancellations, service phone lines being ignored, stroppy, rude cabin crew and inadequate ground staff.

On the positive side there are more 5-star than 4-star reviews that make up the total and together those are probably under represented as many people are quick to moan about a poor experience but don't comment about a problem-free one.

Clio, I hope they've improved overall and you enjoy a 5-star flight.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:53 pm

They only seem to have 4 full time aircraft, with a further 6 added in peak holiday season, and they do fly to some out-of-the-way places, some of which I'm not even sure I can pronounce, so an elevated level of delays wouldn't really surprise me.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”