We have moved in!

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
patterson

We have moved in!

Postby patterson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am

I can't remember who the new people were that were buying a house at the same time we were but just a little post to say we are officially in. We have just come back from our first 2 weeks at our new cottage in Xirosterni. We plan to visit monthly with a few weeks in the summer.

Wi-fi is great so this means we can come over more and work from the cottage which is just fabulous.

Finally enough it was colder than the UK but the sun shining and surrounded by the snowy mountains was incredible. I never thought of going to Crete in the winter but realise now there is so much to see and experience in this lower temp.

So excited to be a very small part of this island!

Kookla

Re: We have moved in!

Postby Kookla » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Congrats, it’s a great feeling! Once the tourist season starts, ping me a pm and I’ll be happy to point you in the direction of good boat trips with reputable companies.

Sallyb

Postby Sallyb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Congratulations on moving in. We hope to complete this Friday and we are coming over in February to meet the furniture and move it all in. I am just starting to sort out the utility bills. It seems a bit daunting at the moment. I’d be grateful if you have any tips?

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:53 am

My advise regarding utility bills and because it suits me personally, is to opt in for receiving bills via email wherever possible.

The Electricity company are great at sending them, with an English language option and it is very straightforward to pay them. I still receive my Water bills through the post and attend the Post Office to pay these.

You will get into a tick tock before you know it.

Enjoy Crete!
Someday is now : )

patterson

Postby patterson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am

Sallyb wrote:Congratulations on moving in. We hope to complete this Friday and we are coming over in February to meet the furniture and move it all in. I am just starting to sort out the utility bills. It seems a bit daunting at the moment. I’d be grateful if you have any tips?

Our solicitor took us to the bank to get a greek account and sorted our phone and wifi etc out. Maybe ask if yours can do the same?
We were grateful for our wood burner as it is a different kind of cold in the house at night at the moment (I took woolly hat and big puffa!)

Where have you bought? I will look it up on the map! I have met some amazing people already who have done brilliant jobs with the garden, decorating etc Happy to share any of the contacts.

patterson

Postby patterson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am

Kookla wrote:Congrats, it’s a great feeling! Once the tourist season starts, ping me a pm and I’ll be happy to point you in the direction of good boat trips with reputable companies.

Brilliant, thanks so much.

P&B

Postby P&B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:My advise regarding utility bills and because it suits me personally, is to opt in for receiving bills via email wherever possible.

The Electricity company are great at sending them, with an English language option and it is very straightforward to pay them. I still receive my Water bills through the post and attend the Post Office to pay these.

You will get into a tick tock before you know it.

Enjoy Crete!

I've recently subscribed to eBills for Electricity and Cosmote. Can you point me to where I can request the electric bill in English. Is this something I can request online as part of my profile?

Thanks

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:45 pm

I am alerted to the readness of both bills via email. The eletricity company send their email in Greek, followed underneath by it translated into English. I simply then follow the links provided. Cosmote send me an email in Greek but when you press the Green Pay link, you have the option to change the page to English.
Someday is now : )

P&B

Postby P&B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Wonderful, thanks!

I await my first eBills with fervor :lol:

CatherinePhotoa

Postby CatherinePhotoa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:56 pm

May I ask what WiFi you are using ? I am trying to set up WiFi in my villa , there is a waiting list for a Cosmote line so am probably looking at a mobile type device option ? Thanks in advance.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 pm

I am trying to set up WiFi in my villa

Do you mean that you are trying to get an internet connection? If considering mobile then it's either Vodafone or Cosmote and how well either works is entirely dependent on where you are located. So you'll need to test both or ask your neighbours.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm

I think Wind also offer a WiFi dongle that effectively gives Internet connectivity through the mobile network. Worth looking into.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 am

I think Wind also offer a WiFi dongle that effectively gives Internet connectivity through the mobile network. Worth looking into.

Indeed! For some reason I was under the impression that they'd gone out of business but obviously not so.
Same would appply though: you need to test it where you are going to use it.

grana1963

Postby grana1963 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Well done hope it’s us this year.......We are looking to buy holiday home in the Sissi area. I need a recommended lawyer if someone knows of one.Also what are the rules for visiting 2/3 week periods 3/4 times a year. I have been told from my estate agent to bring certain certificates one of which is a tax residency certificate can anyone enlighten me as to what this is. Any advice regarding buying with a lawyer with the power of attorney and anything that is involved including insuring your property. Also what sort of offer should we go with under the asking price.....should we try our luck.....any advice will be helpful

Thank you John and Karly

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:37 pm

A tax residency certificate is a certificate from HMRC to prove to the Greek tax authorities that you are remaining tax resident in the UK so you are not liable for tax in Greece, except on any income that arises in Greece. You will probably need to get an Apostille Stamp on the certificate so make sure that it has a signature and it is of the person whose name appears, i.e. not pp by an assistant. You will also probably needed it translated but your lawyer/accountant should be able to arrange that for you.

Depending what happens with Brexit the worst case scenario is that you are limited to being here for 90 days in any 180 day period. Keep under that and you should be fine.

I would avoid a general power of attorney and go for something specific that authorises your lawyer only to do whatever you need him to do. I have heard some nasty stories of lawyers with a general power of attorney accessing bank accounts and using funds for their own purposes. Obviously not all lawyers are dishonest but not all are honest.

Purchase offers are like anywhere else. If you put in a low offer it might be accepted or it might not. Often Greeks are not in a rush to sell so they might well reject it, or even increase the price. Foreign owners are more likely to negotiate. The market is still depressed but sales are now going through. I would be surprised if you can't get 5 % knocked off and 10 % should be possible in some cases. You probably need to be a good negotiator to get more than that. As always it depends how badly you want that particular property.

Insurance with earthquake cover is available on all relatively new property but can be a problem with old property. I can't remember the specific date but I think it is some time in the 60s when building regulations changed. Greek policies tend to be a bit cheaper than UK ones. ERGO is pretty big and is underwritten by Munich Re so should be sound. Intasure in the UK does holiday properties but is a bit more expensive and is underwritten by Lloyds of London so again pretty safe. Check that it is still covered when you are only here for short periods. Some policies only apply if you are full time resident.

Good luck.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”