Still on the Road Topic....

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

Still on the Road Topic....

Postby Clio » Tue May 21, 2019 8:43 pm

It won't mean a lot to you Apokoronites, but those of us in the south-central area are very excited to be able to use, at long last, the new(ish) fast Moires to Heraklio highway. It will cut the northbound journey time considerably and, we hope, improve the real estate prospects in the south because getting there from Heraklio is going to be much easier. There is of course no connection between the long-delayed opening of this nice new facility, and the need for the entourages of some terribly important people to be got quickly back to civilisation, after their exhausting bouts of electioneering here in the backwoods.

Good news too about the road to Plakias via the Kourtaliotiki Gorge, so badly damaged by the winter weather. It has been rebuilt with impressive speed, gravelled and navigable with care for some few weeks, and has just had its asphalt finish.

Finally, yesterday I met some old Crete hands who had had a lovely, uncrowded time at Elafonissi. Only about 50 people on the whole beach, they said, putting this down to the fact that the last stretch of road is so badly damaged that buses can't get down it. I only have their word for that, so perhaps someone else (Jean?) can confirm?

ros21m

Re: Still on the Road Topic....

Postby ros21m » Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm

I was extremely happy that they opened the new stretch of road from Agia Varvara to Moires on Saturday. I drove down to Matala on Sunday & it cuts 20 minutes off the journey time!!!

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 am

.....and of even less interest to those in the west, the stretch bypassing Hamezi on the Sitia/Ag Nik route is finally open. It has only taken about 10 years! Cuts the journey time by around 5 minutes, so not dramatic in that sense, but means avoiding around 30 hairpin bends - bliss.

It was odd to see Mr Tsipras here to open it.......

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am

altohb wrote:... Cuts the journey time by around 5 minutes, so not dramatic in that sense, but means avoiding around 30 hairpin bends - bliss...

Especially if you're stuck behind a 90 year old doing 15 kph in a pickup truck that looks older than him.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”