Minoan Ferry

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Yin&Yang

Minoan Ferry

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:40 am

Is it that I have only just noticed it, or is there a new Minoan Ferry route, coming into Souda at 9.30 each morning and then setting out again late afternoon. It is arriving from the direction of Rethymo/Heraklion.
Someday is now : )

Keltz

Re: Minoan Ferry

Postby Keltz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am

It has been going for a while now and looks like a cargo only service, certainly cannot see it to book on their web page and it is quite a small ship. Have no idea which port it goes to but it certainly does not head out to sea on same route as the overnight Piraeus ferries and seems to hug the coastline towards Rethymno.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 am

Minoan are running a Chania - Piraeus service. Currently it seems to be slower than the Anek Line one but speeds up to become faster than Anek later in the year. For example it currently leaves Chania at 16:00 and gets in to Piraeus at 06:30 while Anek leaves Chania at 22:00 but still gets in at 06:30. Anek continue with that schedule to the end of the year while Minoan change on 19/12/2019 to leave at 23:59 and arrive Piraeus at 07:15 so Minoan is then faster than Anek. From Piraeus to Chania Minoan is also currently slower than Anek. Both leave at 21:00 but Anek arrives in Chania at 06:00 while Minoan doesn't arrive until 09:30. Anek continues on that schedule to the end of the year but again after 19/12/2019 Minoan becomes a lot faster leaving Piraeus at 16:00 and getting into Chania at 22:30. The Minoan service is scheduled to continue in 2020 and I think it maintains the faster timings but I am not certain.

Warwick

PS It is certainly on their web site and you can book. As far as I can see it is a normal car ferry not just freight. Perhaps the slower service currently running means it stops somewhere en-route?

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:31 am

I¨ll bet 50 cent that the ferry after leaving Chania proceeds to Heraklion and than on to Piraeus.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 am

Thank you all. I couldn’t find it on Minoan’s schedule and as suggested, it looks like it may well stop at Heraklion as well.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:43 am

Yin&Yang wrote:Thank you all. I couldn’t find it on Minoan’s schedule and as suggested, it looks like it may well stop at Heraklion as well.

It does.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am

I can't see how it can continue to stop at Heraklion after 19/12/2019 when the faster sailings start? I am guessing it will then become a direct route.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Kilkis wrote:I can't see how it can continue to stop at Heraklion after 19/12/2019 when the faster sailings start? I am guessing it will then become a direct route.

Warwick

I guess you are right.

Joan

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:22 pm

We noticed this when we were in Crete in late October and early November. The ferry was (and presumably still is?) the Knossos Palace.

We wondered whether Minoan were saving themselves two trips from Crete to Piraeus (one each from Souda and Heraklion) in the low season, and vice versa, by doing both ports together. We didn't get to looking at the schedules, though.

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm

I don't think you can describe it as "saving them running two services"? I think Minoan only ran a Chania service in the high tourist season and I am not sure even that ran for the last few years. The introduction of the present service seems to be a relatively new innovation.

When I looked up sailings it was the sister ship Festos Palace that was listed but that might just be a function of the arbitrary dates I chose.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Kilkis wrote:I don't think you can describe it as "saving them running two services"? I think Minoan only ran a Chania service in the high tourist season and I am not sure even that ran for the last few years. The introduction of the present service seems to be a relatively new innovation.

When I looked up sailings it was the sister ship Festos Palace that was listed but that might just be a function of the arbitrary dates I chose.

Warwick

It is a relatively new service and it does include Iraklio in its run. The timetable is a total mystery, but can confirm that from our location on the south shore of Souda Bay, it certainly doesn't conform to the route used by the ANEK lines ferries which arrive from Piraeus in the morning at dark o'clock and leave again round about 2nd glass of whisky time in the evening! It would APPEAR to come from and return to Iraklio on its way to Piraeus. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:46 pm

I wonder how long it takes to sale to Heraklion compared to driving.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:32 pm

It doesn't come up with an option to book from Chania to Heraklion on their web site so I would guess it is not a possibility? Also it is only a common route for a short time now, i.e. up to 18/12/2019.

I chose two arbitrary dates before 18/12/2019, looked at both the Piraeus - Heraklion route and the Piraeus - Chania route and they were the same ferry, i.e. Festos Palace, so it is clearly sailing Chania to Heraklion to Piraeus and Piraeus to Heraklion to Chania. I then looked at two identical dates in February and the Chania route was the Festos Palace while the Heraklion route was the Knossos Palace so they are then completely separate sailings.

Looking at the timings I would guess that just the sailing from Chania to Heraklion takes about 3 hours. I can drive from my house south west of Chania to Heraklion airport in exactly 2 hours. I would guess from Souda, which is already to the east of Chania, to Heraklion port, which is to the west of the airport, I could do it in around half the time of the sailing and that is not allowing for embarkation/disembarkation. It wouldn't be worth it even if it was possible.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you Warwick. Without taking sea sickness meds I wouldn’t enjoy the ferry but I’ll admit that I was seriously thinking of taking a short trip.

Return to “Chatter”