Fish and Chips in Platanias?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
OldCodgerTwo

Fish and Chips in Platanias?

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Anybody know where? Got talking to a Norwegian tourist in Omalos and we started talking about food from are home countries we missed.I mentioned I missed a nicely cooked Fish and chip meal occasionally.He said last year he had a nice Fish and Chip meal in Platanias last year but couldn`t remember where.Anybody know?

Kilkis

Re: Fish and Chips in Platanias?

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:54 pm

The Black Lantern in Maleme does a pretty good fish and chips. He also does things like steak and ale pie, steak and kidney pudding and English style Sunday lunch, i.e. roast beef/lamb/chicken with Yorkshire pudding and vegetables if you ever get a yearning for other English food. Owned by Graham, an English guy. Google Earth 35°31' 23.08" N, 23°50' 47.34" E It shows on street view as a café snack bar but it is an old image. There is a bit of wasteland almost opposite that acts as a car park. I think he opens 14:00 until late. Nice views out to sea at the back.

I'm told there is a taverna in Chania that does decent fish and chips but I've never tried it. Walk South away from the top of Halidon up the right hand side of 1866 sq. Cross Kydonia and keep going South and you pass the side fo the bus station on your right hand side. Cross the road that runs along the back of the bus station, keep going South and the taverna is on the next corner on your right. Google earth 35°30' 39.84" N, 24° 1' 2.79" E Go into street view and swing round and you should be looking straight at a sign saying "Fish and Chips".

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 am

I can recommend the fish and chips at the taverna Kilkis mentioned in Chania. Served on a piece of paper and piled high with potato discs rather than chips. The majority of patrons are Greek and the menu is in Greek only.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Seconded. The place is modelled on the old-style Athenian μπαχαριαδικο, but with a modern spin. The fish and chips is a Cretan version too (none the worse for that) so the fish is salt cod. The portions are very generous, the round chips delicious, and the menu has plenty of other good things - the grilled veg particularly.

My, simpler directions: go out at the back of the bus station, turn left then right, and there's your eaterie. Bang opposite the Nefeli hotel.

I'm 90 per cent certain that the menu has an English version..if anyone needs it.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:57 am

Thirded, hehe. And yes not only tasty fish & chips, but a great selection of seasonal veg.

OldCodgerTwo

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:50 am

By sheer co-incidence I was invited to dinner with a large group of people to Maria`s in Stalos the other night and a set menu was ordered for every one and plate of Fish & Chips was put down on the table right in front of me without even seeing the menu or ordering it!For every one to share ,but no one else wanted any.Very nice they were too!

shine on

Postby shine on » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:39 pm

I was told that one of the hotel restaurants on the sea front of Platanias main strip cooks nice fish and chips, similar to uk, damned if I can remember the name, though I can find out soon.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 am

Does anyone know if the fish and chip place in Chania is open in the winter months?
Someday is now : )

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:19 am

Yin&Yang wrote:Does anyone know if the fish and chip place in Chania is open in the winter months?

Kallinterakis, yes it is but closes on Sundays.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Excellent, thank you :)

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:51 pm

johnincrete wrote:I can recommend the fish and chips at the taverna Kilkis mentioned in Chania. Served on a piece of paper and piled high with potato discs rather than chips. The majority of patrons are Greek and the menu is in Greek only.

Went there last week.The fish and Chips were prefect. The potatoe chips were so perfect wifey and I decided to order another portion to share.I wanted fresh cod but they didn`t have any so I got the salted cod which was still nice.Nice malt vinegar to poor all over.It`s just down from the the Bus station opposite the hotel Nefeli .We wanted to go today but were sadly in a rush.

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Menu is in Greek and English.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:45 pm

We visited the Fish and Chip (and many other things) taverna in Xania today to celebrate living here for seven years. The food, service and taverna were wonderful. We had stuffed cabbage leaves to start, I had grilled sea bass and Andrew had fried (in a very light batter) sea bass and we shared the chips - so delicious. We also had a half kilo of wine and the taverna afterwards brought out raki and a wonderful dessert of deep fried donut type balls in honey and sesame seeds. The bill came to 33 Euros and we will definitely be making it a regular haunt.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm

The cod and chips in The Loft, Plaka make a very tasty plateful of food! Real (unsalted) cod, too. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Yes, we too enjoy the fish and chips at The Loft :D

Return to “Chatter”