Meskla Gorge

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
RetiredRailwayWorker

Re: Meskla Gorge

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:31 pm

bobscott wrote:
Kamisiana wrote:I take it that none of you law abiding and sensible citizens and drivers have ever done a left turn across the traffic and double solid white lines down the middle of the road (no I thought not) you would not ignore the no left turn sign thats law :roll:

There is just a tad of a difference between your scenario and actually telling people they can safely ignore warning signs. I hope the irony is not lost on you?

But they are not warning signs though unless they state the authority that issued them? Who put them up? A local school boy ?Any old fool!?

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:32 pm

What a bunch of pendantic utter bedwetters on this forum !! I clearly sate im my orignianl post "BE CAREFUL" and "GREAT CARE IS NEEDED" and "THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THE WALKWAY WILL NOT COLLAPSE SUDDENLY " .If you start whining after that and saying I`m leading people people into danger you need a check up from the kneck up !!!
Last edited by RetiredRailwayWorker on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 pm

bobscott wrote:
RetiredRailwayWorker wrote:They are NOT official signs though !! They bear no indication of any of any issuing authority so are unofficial and only advisory!

Welcome to Crete! Let me know when you see an electricity meter reader in uniform!! Or the water meter reader. In fact, how about the postman and his official ΕΛΤΑ car? How about the wardens at the head of the Samaria Gorge who prevent people from walking the gorge during the 'Closed Season'? Nothing official about that lot - so I guess you can/should/will ignore them?

Like I said, Welcome to Crete. Bob.

Big diffrence though!! the Samaria Gorge is fully staffed during the open season ,Meskla Gorge is not . The Samariagorge has gates ,fencing and barriers to close it off ,the Meskla gorge does not ,it is un barriered and completely open . Any sign issued saying somewhere was closed or Dangerous would not have any basis legally in a court of law ,unless the site for which it appplies had been physically barried off or gated .No signs would have any legal basis in a court of law unless they had been signed or stated who the issuing authority was !! So sorry Bob you are completely wrong on this occassion!

Marooned

Postby Marooned » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Given all of the Seismic activity over the last months, it might be dangerous due to falling rocks, not just the walkways. I keep my distance from most of the gorges and steep rock faces that I come across in Crete. I've witnessed a few rock slides already, it's very unpredictable.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 pm

RetiredRailwayWorker wrote:What a bunch of pendantic utter bedwetters on this forum !! I clearly sate im my orignianl post "BE CAREFUL" and "GREAT CARE IS NEEDED" and "THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THE WALKWAY WILL NOT COLLAPSE SUDDENLY " .If you start whining after that and saying I`m leading people people into danger you need a check up from the kneck up !!!

You said: "Went walking in the Meskla Gorge yesterday despite the signs saying Gorge closed / Gorge Dangerous. Don`t be put off by the signs but be careful"

Totally irresponsible and you were pulled up on it by a number of us here who know that it's impottant to take these type of warnings very seriously.

Insulting and name calling isn't tolerated here.
Locking this thread now.

Please count to 10 (100 may be better) before you make another post.

Return to “Chatter”