Novels set in Greece

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
margarita

Novels set in Greece

Postby margarita » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 pm

An interesting article in today's Guardian entitled "10 of the best novels set in Greece – that will take you there"

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... onia-crete

An interesting selection of books - a few of which I have read - supplemented by recommendations in the readers' comments.

Incidentally, I learned a new word in the article "chthonic" - I'll leave you to Google it if you don't already know it.
Last edited by margarita on Wed May 20, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kookla

Re: Novels set in Greece

Postby Kookla » Wed May 20, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks for the link. Interesting additions in the comments section too.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:07 am

Following on from Marguerita’s post about novels set n Greece, we have something to look forward to later this year when Victoria Hislop’s sequel to “The Island” is planned for publication: “One August Night” will be published on 29 October 2020 and will reunite readers with Anna, Maria, Manoli and Andreas in the weeks leading up to the evacuation of Spinalonga, and through its aftermath.

I found Hislop’s most recent novel: “Those who are loved” extremely enjoyable. Mostly set in Athens and the mysterious nearby island of Macronisos, it’s an epic family tale set in a very turbulent Greece. It was part history lesson and part novel but the two enmeshed perfectly.

Two other novels set in Crete are also worth reading:
“The lost Lyre” by Richard Clark and “Crete Connection” by John Manuel - both available for downloading to Kindle.

I’m also looking forward to reading:
“Greek Lessons” by Rita Wilson and “Eurydice Street - A place in Athens” by Sofka Zinovieff.

margarita

Postby margarita » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:11 am

Rick wrote:I’m also looking forward to reading:
“Greek Lessons” by Rita Wilson and “Eurydice Street - A place in Athens” by Sofka Zinovieff.

Sofka Zinovieff has another book "The House on Paradise Street". I haven't read it but I listened to the BBC Radio serialisation. The story moves between the present day and the Civil War in Greece.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 am

I read both of Sofka Zinovieff's books when they came out, several years ago. They are both well worth a read!

Return to “Chatter”