The Souda Shelter Project

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
TweetTweet

The Souda Shelter Project

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Below is a copy/paste from an appeal by Network for Animals.

(I've never heard of it, nor Network for Animals) but might anyone here know if this shelter is going to be closed?

"On the Greek island of Crete, the Souda Shelter Project in Chania cares for 100 abandoned and abused dogs, many whom serve as therapy dogs for traumatized soldiers. Outrageously, local authorities say they will CLOSE THE SHELTER… because they “don’t like where it is located!”

It boggles the mind that heartless bureaucrats could pull the plug on the dogs and humans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that the dogs comfort. Chania’s previous mayor supported the shelter, but there’s a new mayor and now the Veterinary Department of Chania says it is issuing legal papers to shut it down."

Thank you.

Kilkis

Re: The Souda Shelter Project

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Odd? This appears to be Network for Animals official web site and it does not show any activity on Crete at all?

Warwick

Avyi

Postby Avyi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 pm

The authorities are waging a war on some of the shelters, mostly those for dogs, and Souda is one them, my friends shelter Bronx Familia is another.

They don't believe that people save and care for animals for the love of animals, with no profit, and they want to shut them down. The dogs will be killed or all roaming the streets.

It doesn't make sense and its a terrible attitude.

We are all desperately trying to adhere to the new 'rules' that they are imposing as letting the dogs down who have been saved from terrible abuse, and abandoned, who are all treated by the vets and rehabilitated, doesn't bear thinking about.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:14 pm

jane m clayton

Postby jane m clayton » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:25 pm

Is the Souda Shelter the one in, or near, 'Nerokouros'; that's the only one I know in the area, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me? Thanks.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 pm

jane m clayton

Postby jane m clayton » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 am

Thank you.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 am

You are very welcome.
I have sent you a PM.