Hungry Children

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

Hungry Children

Postby johnincrete » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:57 am

It seems incredible that some children in UK are so hungry that there is some sort of state-sponsored programme of providing meals at school. At the same time, the press is going on about obesity in children.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is in Crete? Are there children who are not being fed at home? Is there any scheme to feed hungry children? It breaks my heart to see children suffering so what can I do to help?

Keltz

Re: Hungry Children

Postby Keltz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:35 am

I think it is difficult to find local information on what to do and the national agencies and charities mostly want donations as a way for us to help. Working with children does require a level of Disclosure to ensure you are a fit and proper person as is right although I would think the existing ancillary charities such as food and cloths collection would be a good starting point.

In the UK 2010 targets to reduce child poverty were not met. Since then Legally-binding child poverty targets based on low income were removed by the government in 2016, and there aren’t currently any plans to introduce any.

Google child poverty in the UK and you mostly get links to Marcus Rashford who has done well to raise the issue but seems to be at the expense of limited government action. If you agree then do not vote the current government back into office if you still have a UK vote. That is certainly something you can do.

Due to its geographical location Greece copes with child trafficking, migrant children both with and without families as well as the ongoing, although improving, austerity measures now further exasperated by the Covid virus.

Globally, the link below with a summary of facts is enlightening.

Good luck with your search to help.

https://childrenincorporated.org/unders ... tatistics/

GLOBAL POVERTY FACTS
– According to the World Bank, 385 million children around the world live in poverty
– Every year, 3.1 million children die (8,500 children per day) due to poor nutrition
– 1 in 4 children is living in poverty in the world’s richest countries
– 805 million people worldwide do not have enough food to eat
– 80% of the world’s population lives on the equivalent of less than $10 a day
– Almost half the world — over three billion people — lives on less than $2.50 a day

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:35 am

Like most 'systems, the local food banks are doing their best, albeit with the inevitable 'rumours' about who gets what when they do or don't need it. But they are a good place to start. The Apokoronas Social Supermarket is but one. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:06 pm

When I was visiting my home in Crete I always made a point of adding extra items to the collection boxes in my local supermarkets, knowing I could well afford it. Certainly at that time there were a group of ladies in Rethymnon who were cooking and providing a daily hot meal for about fifty children. The elderly were also in need in many cases where there were no family to assist them.

In UK I make a point of not doing so, mainly because of the number of benefits which are available to people. Many of them who avail themselves of the facility arrive there in cars to collect and invariably have the latest expensive mobile phones. Having in my employment, prior to retirement, had cause to actually visit them at home it was usually the case that they were also subscribers to Sky TV and smoked heavily. I am afraid in many cases in the UK child poverty is as a result of bad financial management on the part of their parents.

As Greece continues to recover from recession it appears,that sadly, Covid can only add to the problems for many families given their reliance on tourism for employment. I fear that lean times are ahead for many families this winter. The general consensus of opinion expressed by many in the industry in Rethymnon was that their short season would be over by mid September, with many of the hotels not even having opened.

Kathleen

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 pm

Kathleen wrote:in many cases in the UK child poverty is as a result of bad financial management on the part of their parents.

When you have no money how do you suggest one goes about doing financial management? I have worked with those in poverty and you will find a complex system of problems such as drugs, limited education, mental health problems, dissability, poor housing, low self esteeme and a social security system that treats the poor as a sub-class.

Maybe have a look at the link I gave to johnincrete above and ask where the money to improve peoples lives is actually going. If you watch daytime TV in the UK you will see many programs about these terrible people scrounging on the dole. What you won't hear about are those who avoid tax in the UK as highlightewd in the "Paradise Papers’ revelations, most British people prefer to focus on the perceived crimes of the poor. We must show how tax avoidance harms us all. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -avoidance

...an article produced when The Guardian printed true investigative journalists pieces.

Return to “Chatter”