The start of the rot?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

The start of the rot?

Postby bobscott » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:27 pm

Read in eKathimerini this morning that the government caved in to the Orthodox church and relented regarding banning the traditional Epiphany services. Not a wise move. Perhaps not totally unexpected from a Conservative administration. On a walk today, saw several locals not wearing masks. Covid rules OK it would seem - except that the 'rules' are openly flouted. Taking their cue from Trump perhaps? Stay safe, everyone. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yorgo

Re: The start of the rot?

Postby Yorgo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:33 pm

well you best get ready for the total destruction of the USA under the clown Biden. This communist agenda will spread to the uK as the leftie regressives gain confidence on the back of Bidens evil, governance.

You will never show one scintilla of evidence that Mr Trump worked against safety under Corona threat. The USA Bill Of Rights is such that you can not order a US citizen to wear a mask. They do not have to cow toe to a politician. In UK and elsewhere you do not have such a privilege.

Biden has committed to a total shutdown of all US states - the world greatest economy shut down. Amazon will quadruple in size and ALL from China. Good luck. It will make Brexit seem to have the same effect as when Ratners lost trade.

The world wars were all about stopping tyranny. The blind obedience to politicians. In UK you can die from COVID if you enter a store today but if that same store sells food tomorrow apparently there is no risk?? As with the Vacuum Flask joke... how does it know.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:04 pm

I think it was Margaret Thatcher's husband Dennis, who had a reputation for staying in the background and never commenting, who said, " I would rather say nothing and be thought a fool than speak and dispel all doubt". Many people could learn from him.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think it was Margaret Thatcher's husband Dennis, who had a reputation for staying in the background and never commenting, who said, " I would rather say nothing and be thought a fool than speak and dispel all doubt". Many people could learn from him.

Warwick

Absolutely! Bob :P

SueA

Postby SueA » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Re Yorgo's post - can anyone tell me how to cow toe to a politician? Sounds like some weird initiation rite for Etonians or members of the Bullingdon Club at Oxford University! And yes, I do know he means kowtow, but cow toe sounds much more interesting :D :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:32 pm

I am pretty sure if it was "some weird initiation rite for Etonians or members of the Bullingdon Club at Oxford University" then it would involve porcine rather than bovine references, Sue.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:00 pm

Kilkis wrote:I am pretty sure if it was "some weird initiation rite for Etonians or members of the Bullingdon Club at Oxford University" then it would involve porcine rather than bovine references, Sue.

Warwick

Ooh. Clever! Bob

mrsbluenose

Postby mrsbluenose » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Yorgo wrote:well you best get ready for the total destruction of the USA under the clown Biden. This communist agenda will spread to the uK as the leftie regressives gain confidence on the back of Bidens evil, governance.

Wow.

When one reads such brainless nonsense what's the best reaction I wonder?
Roll on the floor laughing?
Cry?
Ignore?
Engage?

Probably the first I guess.

Stu

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am

mrsbluenose wrote:When one reads such brainless nonsense what's the best reaction I wonder?

I just add them to the "Foe" list, then you don't see their posts ever again.
----
Phil
----

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 am

An excellent idea!
Someday is now : )

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:50 am

Kind of defeats the purpose of being on a public forum to only want to read opinions you agree with.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Keltz wrote:Kind of defeats the purpose of being on a public forum to only want to read opinions you agree with.

Spot on, blocking people you don't want to hear as they don't agree with your opinion sounds like Trump, the forum version of sticking your fingers in your ears and going LA LA LA LA as loud as you can :roll:

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Keltz wrote:Kind of defeats the purpose of being on a public forum to only want to read opinions you agree with.

...ah, but there are some people who you can always tell - nothing they are ever going to say is actually going to enlighten you.
----

Phil

----

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:44 pm

It is one thing to be ‘narrow minded’ and block posts from those you don’t agree with. It is another thing to block ones that contain misinformation and extremist views.

Of course, the joy of a forum is that we can choose to read whatever we wish. I do not read a forum to be ‘educated’ by the bizarre views of some other members with extreme ideas. - I can find such information all over the web.....or even just look at the tv and see what happened in Washington last week!

I cannot see how anyone can justify such behaviour.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:10 pm

You can't justify it Maud but I think it is useful/important to try to understand it. Middle class workers of America have been eviscerated for about 50 years. GDP has continued to grow in real terms, i.e. correcting for inflation, while wages have stayed essentially flat in real terms. What that means is that pretty much 100 % of the increase in capital over the last 50 years has gone to the owners of capital while virtually none has gone to the providers of labour. That has been a massive transfer of wealth from the middle to the top. Trump promised he would correct that. Obviously he didn't but those who believed in him still do. They blame the "establishment". Trump was seen as not part of the establishment while Biden very much is. They thought Trump would reverse the trend. They think that the establishment stopped him. They are wrong but that doesn't stop them believing it and they are very, very angry.

In reality it doesn't really matter who they elect. America is not ruled by Congress and the White House it is ruled by a collection of interest groups. The most influential are the large investment banks as they own and control the Federal Reserve Banks. After them is the military-industrial complex followed by big pharma. They effectively determine the laws, write the laws and see which laws get passed. You could put a chimpanzee in the White House and it wouldn't make any difference. I guess the last 4 years pretty much prove that idea.

The same thing has been happening in the UK and Europe but with a little mitigation through social intervention. Over my lifetime there has been many changes of government in the UK, mainly Conservative, a significant amount of Labour and a small amount of coalition. Over my time in Greece the government has oscillated between PASOK and New Democracy with a period of Syriza. The changes have not really affected my life to any significant degree. I cannot point to any time in my life when I could say my life was better/worse because Party A/Party B was in power.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”