Corned Beef - Ouch

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

Re: Corned Beef - Ouch

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:54 am

filippos wrote:I'm not sure Germolene existed when I was that young.

Oh to be young again Phil!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:20 am

Which probably explains the nightmares I had as a child after my mother had spread it liberally on my chest, under the liberty bodice. Wait for it......

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 am

Yes Eleni I had one of those as well.

If we are going down 'Memory Lane' what about 'Rose Hip Syrup', Syrup of Figs' ....and what was that stuff called in a brown glass jar with a yellow and blue label that looked like the sun? - Might have got the colours wrong with the label, but it was. 'Malted'something? I remember being given a spoonful a day......because it was good for me!

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:36 am

Maud wrote:and what was that stuff called in a brown glass jar with a yellow and blue label that looked like the sun? - Might have got the colours wrong with the label, but it was. 'Malted'something?

I think you will find it was malt extract. Used in home brewing now :lol:

Edit :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/8971466/Just-a-spoonful-of-malt-extract-could-banish-winter-sniffles.html

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 pm

I think you will find it was malt extract. Used in home brewing now

In baking too. In the days when I used to make bread regularly, a big spoonful went into the wholemeal dough to add a nutty chewiness.

I loved extract of malt as a child, fishy flavour of the added cod liver oil notwithstanding. Later on my kids all wanted to try the stuff that gave Tigger his bounce, but it didn't excite their probably more sophisticated palates.

To add to the Memory Lane medicine chest: Parrish's Food, a liquid tonic which tasted like iron filings and is now, I see, given to racing pigeons.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:24 pm

...and half a codeine was a good all purpose remedy from a very young age, e.g. toddler. I wonder how that would be viewed today?

Warwick

Istronian

Postby Istronian » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Maud wrote: what was that stuff called in a brown glass jar with a yellow and blue label that looked like the sun?

Virol

Ian

http://xxxxantiques.com.au/content/prod ... /820_1.jpg

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Virol was a bone marrow extract.

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:40 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Malt

Having Googled it I think it was 'Radio Malt.' It sounds familiar and I don't remember it having a fishy taste. I was a wiry little thing in those days.....so maybe my parents felt I needed 'building up!'

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Yes Andrew I was being serious!

Sorry to disappoint margarita, but I was never into the rave scene, However I was chairman of a Licensing Committee and we licensed a number of all night raves. I used to attend together with my Environmental Health Officers to ensure that all the conditions we imposed for the Health and Safety of those attending, and the comfort of the sites neighbours were being observed. Incidentally the Police opposed the licence for the first couple of raves, but then realised it was an ideal opportunity to target the drug dealers and supported further events.

As an example of the Health issues, one of the licensing conditions was that the organisers provided an adequate supply of free drinking water. Not long after the rave started all of the tap handles disappeared. The organisers were protecting their sales of grossly overpriced bottle water! When it was explained to them that not only was this a breach of the licensing conditions and that the magistrates had the power to impose a fine of £20,000 but we would be forced to close the event down the tap handles suddenly reappeared! The combination of physical activity, ecstasy and dehydration can be very serious.

John

ps Thanks for that information Jeff - another one of life's little mysteries solved
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Maud wrote:...I don't remember it having a fishy taste...

You could get malt extract with or without cod-liver oil. You possibly had the variety without, Maud. I think when people bought the variety with cod-liver oil they were really trying to give their children the cod-liver oil and simply using the malt extract to disguise the taste.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:09 pm

I am sure you are right Kilkis. I remember being given cod- liver oil separately. - Yuck!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 pm

I think my description would go beyond Yuck but I wouldn't use it in polite company.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:08 pm

It had a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:11 am

I was given the cod liver oil and malt extract daily in hospital as a child. I actually liked it, though some didn't. We were not used to the taste of sugar then, and I still dislike it.

Return to “Chatter”