Car Tyres

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

Car Tyres

Postby Clio » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:05 pm

Can somebody tell me, please: is it usual for car insurance breakdown cover in Crete to exclude tyres? Does this apply to rent cars? And what about posters' own insurances?

SatCure

Re: Car Tyres

Postby SatCure » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:17 pm

I really don't know but I never ever tried to claim for a tyre in the UK (and they lasted a lot longer there!)

With the state of the roads, here, (potholes, nails, thorns, etc.) and the sunlight and heat, those "lastika" don't stand a chance. However, I've found a garage that sells "used" tyres for a very reasonable price. I think they come from written-off cars. The tyres look new and unworn. Yes, they are checked carefully for hidden damage.

I also bought a spare, standard road wheel and had it fitted with a tyre. I keep it at home for emergencies because, twice so far, I've gone to the car early in the morning to discover one (or two) flat tyres. Doing an "airport run" with a "space-saver" fitted is not my idea of fun so, if I've promised to take someone to the airport, I like to ensure the car is roadworthy.

Gavalochori Geezer

Postby Gavalochori Geezer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 pm

With hire cars the driver is responsible for punctures and damage to the tyres (possibly suspension as well). Fortunately puncture repairs are cheap in Crete - my last one cost 7euros to fix.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:52 pm

It is pretty common for hire car insurance to exclude tyres and under-car damage. If you decide to take the car up rough tracks it's your responsibility.

I wouldn't expect normal car insurance to cover tyres. They are normal wear and tear. If the car was involved in an accident and the insurance was going to pay for the repair it would probably include the tyres if they had been damaged as a result of the accident.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks GG and Warwick. Exactly what I wanted to know.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:55 pm

Regardless of what the major car rental brokers tell you, almost inevitably damage to tyres, wheels, vehicle underside and glass (i.e. windscreens, lights etc) are excluded from basic insurance and in several instances the extra "no excess" policies (that some rental companies try to force on people) don't cover that type of damage either. It can also be very expensive to but at the rental desk - £20 per day is not unheard of. The answer is to buy an independent "Excess reimbursement" policy which can be obtained by any qualified driver resident in the EU.

You still have to pay the rental company for any damage up to the excess limit bet then reclaim that cost from the excess insurer. For a European policy those typically cost about £4 daily or, a much better deal, £40-£50 for an annual policy covering any number of rentals of up to 30 days each, up to a combined maximum limit of about £5,000. They cover the policyholder in all EU/EEA countries, including home country (many basic policies don't cover you for damage within specified distances of home). They also cover loss of keys which most rental companies do not and those charges for electronic keys usually exceed £100.

I have such a policy with Insurance4carhire.com who have a very high satisfaction rating but you'll find several alternative companies by searching the 'net for "car hire excess insurance". Most are UK based.

Because of the recent referendum vote I contacted my insurer to confirm coverage if the UK does eventually get free of the UK. The response was along the lines, "business as usual until it happens and if it does we plan to continue unless specifically banned from so doing".

P.S. Insurance 4carhire have a bonus: a help line that can be called for any genuine emergency even if not connected to the car rental. They have a number to call and reckon a call back within, I think, 10 minutes by an operative who speaks your language and that of the country in which you have the problem. Other may now offer a similar service.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:03 am

While I believe my comments are true about most (all?) hire car insurance policies in Greece, there may be circumstances where you can claim for a puncture. I had a hire car in the UK last October that got a puncture. I phoned the hire car company and was told to get it repaired at my own expense. It turned out that the puncture was on the transition from the tread to the side-wall and couldn't be repaired so I had to pay for a new tyre to be fitted. Fortuitously I had, for the first time ever, after being bullied mercilessly by Scooby, bought excess insurance. I claimed the cost of the new tyre on that and they coughed up.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 am

Kilkis wrote:I claimed the cost of the new tyre on that and they coughed up.
I imagine you had been sensible enough to buy an annual policy if the rental term was more than about 5 days.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:13 am

Indeed. From the same company you quote.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:38 am

If you hire a car, be sure to check if the spare is serviceable, otherwise you might get charged when you return the vehicle.
A friend hired a car here a few years ago, he checked the spare as he always does, it was totally flat.
We went to a nearby petrol station to put some air in it, but it had a large split so was useless.
It was returned to the hire company, who exchanged it for the spare from another vehicle.
Don't know if the old one went back in the boot of the other car or not. :lol:

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:25 am

Have just rented a car for a month and had to go back to the rentalcompany twice as the (same) tire went flat, or rather air sipping out thus warning light came on, but paid nothing and had another car while they were fixing "my" car. Got the car back nice and clean both inside and outside. This was a local shop.
I always use a creditcard when renting as this includes an insurance covering any excess.

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:09 pm

mouche wrote:I always use a creditcard when renting as this includes an insurance covering any excess.

I don't think you can rent a car without a credit / debit card, just in case you get any speeding or parking fines.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:05 pm

peebee wrote:I don't think you can rent a car without a credit / debit card, just in case you get any speeding or parking fines.

You can if you know the rental company owner but I agree that the vast majority of companies insist on a card.

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:39 pm

peebee wrote:
mouche wrote:I always use a creditcard when renting as this includes an insurance covering any excess.

I don't think you can rent a car without a credit / debit card, just in case you get any speeding or parking fines.

Of yes, you most certainly can and actually have to pay 3% extra if you use a creditcard!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Yes on the rare occasion that we hire a car from small local hire companies ,I always pay cash ...jeff...

Return to “Chatter”