Vehicle Circualtion Tax - A Dire Warning

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Vehicle Circualtion Tax - A Dire Warning

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:29 am

A friend of mine who owns, but hasn't been using, a scooter decided to trade it in and buy a new one. He came to an agreement with the dealer but then discovered that he hadn't taxed the old one for the last two years. He spent a jolly hour trecking round various police departments and KEP until he had all the right paperwork, complete with their million stamps, and went to pay the outstanding tax. Obviously he also had to pay a fine, hence this warning to all forum readers. Don't be caught out in the same way.

Warwick

Oh! Almost forgot. The fine? That was €2. €1 for each year. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Jean

Re: Vehicle Circualtion Tax - A Dire Warning

Postby Jean » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:38 am

The fine? That was €2. €1 for each year. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

It might be a lot more expensive for a car

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:52 pm

I think you pay double the tax for late payment on a car, i.e. if the normal tax on a particular make and model of car is €100, the day after the deadline for payment, normally 31 December although it is sometimes extended for a couple of weeks, you would have to pay €200. Not much fun if you own a Mercedes S-600 with a road tax of €1,224 per year but I suppose if you can afford almost €270,000 for a car it would only be small change.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:55 pm

So is there any equivalent of SORN? What happens to my car, parked up from this coming Sunday until we return in April?

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:00 pm

I believe you can hand in the plates rather than pay the tax but when you want to put the vehicle back on the road you have to pay all back tax that may be due. Assuming the tax is up to date now that means that when you recover the car you must pay the full tax for 2017. If you just leave the car without informing the authorities and come to tax it in April it will be double for late payment and, possibly, a fine on top so probably cheapest to make the 2017 payment on time in those circumstances.

Fines for using an unlicensed vehicle can be eye-watering.

At least, that's my understanding

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:44 am

Surely the whole point of handing in the plates is so you don't pay the tax? Otherwise what is the point of handing them in? If I hand in the plates in Dec 2016, and go to retrieve them in Jan 2018, surely I'm not liable for the tax for 2017, when it has not been on the road?

But I guess, Filippos, you were talking about people who are only away for the winter. In which case I agree with you. :)

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:26 am

I could easily be wrong as I haven't searched the rules and am going from memory but, I think when you put a car back on the road after a period of time you have to pay any back taxes i.e. buy a car from someone who has kept it off the road for a year then that year's tax has to be paid along with the current year. It used to be that way when we first lived here. Warwick will know.

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Where can you pay the tax? Can you pay online? Where do you hand in the plates?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:16 pm

To pay the tax for a particular year simply go to this page, click on the blue button labelled ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ, select the year that you want to pay, fill in your tax number and the registration number of the vehicle and click on the button labelled Αναζήτηση. If the data are valid, that should pop up a message saying that a record has been found and you then click on the button labelled Εκτύπωση to produce the form that you can then save as a pdf file or print out. The form has a payment code on it so you can either take the form to a bank and pay it or log onto your on-line bank account and pay. Personally I prefer to take it to a bank so I get a receipt that I have paid it.

Not sure where you give in the plates.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:38 pm

And can a third party hand in thee plates to the tax office for you?

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:03 pm

YoMo2 wrote:...................
But I guess, Filippos, you were talking about people who are only away for the winter. In which case I agree with you. :)
Andrew

Adding to my previous reply, Andrew, I wasn't thinking only of those leaving for the winter. It may have changed but a few years ago a financially distressed friend was offered, as a gift an 'old banger' that had been off the road for a while. He had to turn it down as there was two or three years tax to pay, which he couldn't afford.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:09 pm

I asked around and managed to get some more information but not a complete answer.

Firstly you certainly CANNOT save any money by handing in the plates if you intend to keep the car off the road only for a few months. The way the Greek circulation tax works, if you have the car on the road for a single day you have to pay the circulation tax for the whole of that calendar year.

Secondly the tax office is the place where plates are handed in. I'm not sure which part but somebody should be able to tell you if you go there. In Chania there used to be an information desk on the first floor but I'm not sure if it is still there. Lots of the staff speak English. Alternatively pop down the tax office in the last week or so of December and follow the massive queue of people carrying licence plates.

Whether you have to pay the circulation tax for any calendar year where you have handed in the plates for the whole of that calendar year seems to be uncertain. For example if you gave the plates in before the end of 2016 and didn't reclaim them before the start of 2018 would you have to pay for 2017? Nobody seems to know for sure. The person I asked was also unsure if there was some other sort of fee to reclaim them. For example it costs €800 to get the plates originally. The advice I was given was to ask at the tax office where you give the plates in as they should know the exact rules. I was further advised not to ask at the vehicle centre. The staff there seem to be regarded as having intelligence slightly below that of a vegetable.

As a final shot I was also told that there has been talk of imposing a non-circulation tax, i.e. if you still own a vehicle but hand in the plates and keep it off the road you might still have to pay some sort of tax. This is only a proposal but might happen.

As an aside I was told that the police can find out all sorts of things by running your licence plate through the system, not just whether you have paid the circulation tax. For example it would also tell them if you had outstanding income tax/property tax payments that were overdue. Apparently lots of people have been pulled over for some minor traffic offence and when the police ran the plates they found that the person owed stacks of money to the tax authority and they got arrested for that. Casts the comment, "Drive carefully" in a whole new light.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:41 am

Kilkis wrote:..........As an aside I was told that the police can find out all sorts of things by running your licence plate through the system, not just whether you have paid the circulation tax. For example it would also tell them if you had outstanding income tax/property tax payments that were overdue. Apparently lots of people have been pulled over for some minor traffic offence and when the police ran the plates they found that the person owed stacks of money to the tax authority and they got arrested for that. Casts the comment, "Drive carefully" in a whole new light.

Leaving aside whether this is or isn't an apocryphal story, I bet they can't tell whether you have under-declared your income though.......

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 am

No, it's not apocryphal. There are genuine cases that have been reported of people with massive tax debts being caught simply because they ran a red light, although I don't have any links. Everything is linked to your tax number, Greek driving licence, vehicle registration etc so it is certainly feasible.

Warwick

Doris

Postby Doris » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Replying to Jackdaw's question, can a third party hand in the plates. When I took my daughter's plates into Chania they had almost been accepted when the gentleman looked at the passport copy in their folder and realised I wasn't that person. He handed them back and my daughter had to fly over in person from UK to finally get rid of them. The car had been registered in the UK by then and had a UK license no, but we were still also having to pay the Greek road tax too.

Return to “Chatter”