Vehicle Circualtion Tax - A Dire Warning

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
YoMo2

Re: Vehicle Circualtion Tax - A Dire Warning

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 am

Doris wrote:Replying to Jackdaw's question, can a third party hand in the plates. When I took my daughter's plates into Chania they had almost been accepted when the gentleman looked at the passport copy in their folder and realised I wasn't that person. He handed them back and my daughter had to fly over in person from UK to finally get rid of them. The car had been registered in the UK by then and had a UK license no, but we were still also having to pay the Greek road tax too.

You may have been able to hand the plates in for your daughter had you been in possession of some sort of power of attorney, properly issued of course. I guess that without it, they could refuse on the basis that someone could simply unscrew the plates from a vehicle and hand them in without the owner knowing. Not sure why? :)

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Doris

Postby Doris » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Knowing how complicated getting power of attorney can be I suspect it was cheaper for my daughter to fly back. I actually had my lawyer with me with all the relevant paperwork we could think of and still they wouldn't accept them.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:09 pm

When I used a power of attorney to enable my developer to carry out certain transactions on my behalf it was straightforward and quite cheap but it had to be done by a Greek Notary. I don't know if it is possible to get a power of attorney in Greece without using a Greek Notary, I have never tried, but if it is not possible it might still involve a trip to Greece.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:29 pm

So what happened on Saturday (the day before we flew home)
I went to the police station and got hold of a Power of Attorney form. Apparently these can also be purchased at 'Kiosks'. Returned to Police station later with person who was to hand in the plates on my behalf. Both of us had passports/ID card with us. Form filled and duly stamped.
Today the plates were handed in at the Tax office.

When I first bought the car from a dealer in June, the plates were at the tax office. On purchase of the car, it was taxed for the remaining part of 2016. I had to pay for 9 months tax, not the full year. I'm hoping that the same happens in 2017..

stevemartin911

Postby stevemartin911 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:09 am

Hi guys,
I took my plate off a damaged bike I have and handed it in at the tax office, I was told then that in 2016 they did implement a road tax reduction dependant on when you claimed the plates back... June = 50% annual figure, makes a much better case for handing them in, no excess paperwork either just the registration book and plate, 5 mins, so a bit of a no brainer if you are out of Crete for the winter.
No guarantee the same will apply in 2017 though !
MORE IMPORTANT just like the UK if the vehicle is taxed it has to be insured, not many people seem to realise they have introduced a similar system to the UK, SORN it's called there but it's hand plates in here.
I have no idea how / if it's policed very well but the rule does exist.
Have a great Xmas and new year everyone !

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

As a footnote to the above. We returned to Crete a couple of weeks ago. Into the tax office in Chania to reclaim the plates for the car. First question "Where is your insurance?" So a quick trip to insurance broker. Sorted. Back to tax office. "Please make photocopy of insurance". Pop out to kiosk outside. Job done. Hand over everything, including passport.. "Thank you, 630 euro. Please go upstairs to pay". Me "But what about only 9 months tax? (It was, after all early April.) "No, you pay for whole year! 630 euro"
Ah well, the best laid plans...
I'll know better next year.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Is that for a car of approx 2 litres? We sold our 1949cc car last year and replaced it with a 1600 and the tax on that was ¼ that for the (nearly) 2l.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 am

I still can't follow the logic of removing the plates if it is not to save circulation tax. What about all the hire cars -- without plates on --parked up in compounds awaiting the new season? Is that not a way for the owners to save tax, and if not, what's the point of removing them in the first place?! :?

margarita

Postby margarita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 am

Mixos wrote:I still can't follow the logic of removing the plates if it is not to save circulation tax. What about all the hire cars -- without plates on --parked up in compounds awaiting the new season? Is that not a way for the owners to save tax, and if not, what's the point of removing them in the first place?! :?

Maybe it saves on insurance?

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:22 am

Do different rules apply to car rental companies? Aren't there tax concessions on vehicles for commercial use? If not, they can at least set costs against their tax bill. Some of the companies, especially at or near the airports/ferry ports, keep some cars available for winter tourists and business users.

Return to “Chatter”