Iraklion sand sculpture

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Jeffstclair

Iraklion sand sculpture

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:43 pm

This week a group of people have been creating some sand sculptures on the beach ..if you get a chance go and have a look ...they are on the beach behind the Stadium just beyond the Kite Surfing site I think it called Amoudara ....jeff

Mixos

Re: Iraklion sand sculpture

Postby Mixos » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Brilliant, Jeff. Assume it's Poseidon ? Almost as good as the carvings at Weymouth Sand Festival, now in its sixth year. :wink:

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Yes ,this has been organised by some local people and they want to make it a regular thing and get support from other interested people and maybe the Thimos .Three of the artists are from The Ukraine and one from Iraklion ...I'm thinking I might do one next year...... here is another photo it's a bit dark 'cos the light was going and the dogs wanted to walk not look at boring sand castles ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:53 am

Mixos wrote:Brilliant, Jeff. Assume it's Poseidon ? Almost as good as the carvings at Weymouth Sand Festival, now in its sixth year. :wink:

Haven't been to Weymouth since I was an early teenager (so go back 65 years!) but in those days the sand sculptures were on the beach near the harbour end for the whole of the summer season. I recall one was a fabulous rendition of Salisbury cathedral, including spire. I suppose these days they wouldn't survive more than 10 minutes before someone vandalised them! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:35 am

Sadly that's probably true, Bob, but these days the sand sculptures are all under cover in a purpose-built display away from the beach (although they still use only Weymouth sand and water) I won't attach a link as I know this forum is about Crete, but Google "Weymouth sand sculptures" and it might bring back a few 65-year-old memories :D

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Strangely enough, I have only been reading something about anti-social behaviour in Weymouth this week.......and there was I thinking it was a genteel place!

Thanks for sharing the photos of the sculptures with us Jeff.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:39 pm

[quote="Mixos"]Sadly that's probably true, Bob, but these days the sand sculptures are all under cover in a purpose-built display away from the beach (although they still use only Weymouth sand and water) I won't attach a link as I know this forum is about Crete, but Google "Weymouth sand sculptures" and it might bring back a few 65-year-old memories :D[/quote

Thanks, I will do that. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “Chatter”