The Scottish Invasion....a dream realised (well almost).

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
jimbolou

The Scottish Invasion....a dream realised (well almost).

Postby jimbolou » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:55 am

Well its finally happened, my wee hoos has been sold, the flights are booked, the goods are boxed (almost) and the fingers are well and truelly crossed. :o

The invasion of Istron phase one is complete. This has been a long hard fight just to get to this stage and we have received some great advice and a giggle from the forums.
The sale nearly fell through but common sense and a good glasgow "Am no payin for that" and the deal was done! :shock:
I am aware there is a wall being erected to prevent the invasion but let me asure you RIC and the chicken farmer and the builder i have a secret weapon :evil: ( i think it involves alcohol )

Phase 2 commences on the 1st may....watch this space. :lol:
The dream is realised..... well almost.....nearly there.

Jim 8) Happy St Patricks day to one and all ..Slainte Erin Go Bragh :lol:
whats for you wont go by you

koutouloufari residents

Postby koutouloufari residents » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:19 am

Good to see another Scot!!! We need to stick together!! We're in Koutouloufari so not too far from you!! My partner is English too!! A Herefordshire lady!! Regards Jim( A staunch Airdrie United fan!!!)

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:34 am

Not long until you get your square sausage Jim (5 weeks tomorrow)!!! :wink:
Living in Crete!!

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Jimbo,

We came back a few weeks ago with a haggis and two neeps discretely positioned in our hand luggage. May I suggest, if bringing over the wee beastie and acoutrements, that you tuck them into your hold luggage.

The little lady was almost stip searched because the x-ray pillock thought she was carrying semtex. Please note who was given the task of carrying the wee beastie i.e. no flies on this seasoned traveller !!

Jon

ps the ensuing meal was well worth the hassle she endured - or so I keep telling her.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:02 pm

God, I hope that doesn't happen to us when we bring over the sausage for Jim & Meg!!

Does anyone know if you can take the coolbag ice blocks through security?
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:05 pm

lshall05 wrote:Does anyone know if you can take the coolbag ice blocks through security?

I've had smoked Trout and Scottish smoked Salmon, kept cool with coolbag ice blocks, in my hand luggage without any problem.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:23 pm

I've just phoned Gatwick Airport to ask them and they have said that they aren't allowed through security.
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm

oops... it was good while it lasted!!!

koutouloufari residents

Postby koutouloufari residents » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Oh no!!!!!!!

rainbowmir

security

Postby rainbowmir » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:10 pm

neither are cartons of drink, but I walked through with 2 in my hand luggage.... actually I had forgotten about them - they were in with my packed lunch for the flight!
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Put whatever you are bringing in the freezer right up to the point when you depart for the airport. Then wrap it in a few layers of newspaper and put it in your hold baggage. OK it won't stay completely frozen but it will stay cold enough that it won't go off. I think it's helped by the fact that the aircraft hold is pretty cold anyway.

If you think about it smoking of fish and making of sausage were methods of preserving food before there was widespread refrigeration. Jean's uncle, who lived on the banks of the river Nith in Scotland, caught his own salmon, had it smoked and sent us a large chunk through the post. No refrigeration, several days in transit, delicious. My grandfather used to raise a pig every year, have it butchered and then made bacon, ham and sausage to preserve that which couldn't be eaten immediately. The sausages were simply hung in the garage where they went mouldy. Dip in boiling water for one minute, peel off the skin and then fry as normal. I wouldn't recommend it with today's sausages but a few hours gradually thawing out from hard frozen shouldn't be a problem at all.

Warwick

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:40 pm

I should have checked if the ice blocks are allowed in your hold luggage - only asked about hand luggage!! It would save a lot of hassle if we could do that!!
Living in Crete!!

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 am

Jimbo,

It's a good job you're leaving the UK after last night's defeat.

Good old Aberdeen eh!!!!! And what with Ranger's looking like winning the league (having already won the CIS Cup) and you guys out of Europe it must have been a chilly night to be a Celtic fan. I've got to be honest, it's not looking good for any trophies this year !!

Not sniggering - really !!!

Jon

ps you can always support Panthrakikos - I think they also wear the famous green hoops.

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:Put whatever you are bringing in the freezer right up to the point when you depart for the airport. Then wrap it in a few layers of newspaper and put it in your hold baggage. OK it won't stay completely frozen but it will stay cold enough that it won't go off. I think it's helped by the fact that the aircraft hold is pretty cold anyway.

If you think about it smoking of fish and making of sausage were methods of preserving food before there was widespread refrigeration. Jean's uncle, who lived on the banks of the river Nith in Scotland, caught his own salmon, had it smoked and sent us a large chunk through the post. No refrigeration, several days in transit, delicious. My grandfather used to raise a pig every year, have it butchered and then made bacon, ham and sausage to preserve that which couldn't be eaten immediately. The sausages were simply hung in the garage where they went mouldy. Dip in boiling water for one minute, peel off the skin and then fry as normal. I wouldn't recommend it with today's sausages but a few hours gradually thawing out from hard frozen shouldn't be a problem at all.

Warwick

I agree - we've brought sausages, black pudding and smelly cheeses in a cooler bag in the middle of our suitcases - no problems with any of it.

There are ways of still enjoying the goodies!

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:53 pm

My only concern with putting food in our hold luggage is if it manages to go missing and we end up with mouldy, smelly food when we finally get our bags back!!

So far we've only had my case go missing once when we came back from Crete one year so it might not happen...
Living in Crete!!

Return to “Chatter”