The Scottish Invasion....a dream realised (well almost).

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:21 am

It's all about hazard analysis.

The probability of the hold bag going missing is quite small.

The consequences if it does go missing, i.e. you have to throw away a few items of food, is not exactly a major disaster.

Put together low risk and minor consequence and you have a very low hazard.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:54 am

lshall05 wrote:My only concern with putting food in our hold luggage is if it manages to go missing and we end up with mouldy, smelly food when we finally get our bags back!!

So far we've only had my case go missing once when we came back from Crete one year so it might not happen...

There is always that chance, I agree, and we've had more than our fair share of wandering suitcases over the years, but still think it is worth doing. There are very few "British" things we miss, but good strong cheeses and sausages are among them.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:19 pm

lshall05 wrote:My only concern with putting food in our hold luggage is if it manages to go missing and we end up with mouldy, smelly food when we finally get our bags back!!

Reminds me of what happened to an Argentinian friend of ours a year back. She loves beef and every time she goes back to Argentina she brings kilos of it back because she says not only is it cheaper but it's far superior to anything you can buy in Europe.

Well, she filled a suitcase with Argentinian beef and checked it in in Buenos Aires, not to see it again for 2 months when it was delivered by the airline to her front door. It smelled so much that she didn't even open the suitcase, just took it to the local public incinerator and left it there for them to deal with! It cost her!! :roll:

rainbowmir

Food

Postby rainbowmir » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:23 pm

My friend's shopping list for me to bring out always includes pork pies so I leave them in the fridge till just before leaving for the airport and pack them in plastic boxes in the middle of my hold luggage. Must admit - hadn't thought about using freezer blocks but will probably do so next time.

Once we are in the air, I don't think the hold is actually heated although it is pressurised, so not had a problem so far. Lost luggage? Hmmnnn - well, that could be rather unpleasant after a couple of months.................. - best not think about it :D
Last edited by rainbowmir on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

baccybabs

Postby baccybabs » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh PORK PIES ...now those I DO miss :cry:

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:41 pm

So far we've only had my case go missing once when we came back from Crete one year so it might not happen...

At least it would make it easy to identify your bag.....if you still wanted to that is.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:48 pm

Hudson wrote:At least it would make it easy to identify your bag.....if you still wanted to that is.

That's very true!!

I think if we put the stuff in one of our hold bags, we'll make sure it's wrapped in a plastic bag and put in a plastic box so that if the bag gets waylaid, at least we don't have to look directly at whatever the food has turned into!!!
Living in Crete!!

rainbowmir

Postby rainbowmir » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh PORK PIES ...now those I DO miss

Well, I guess I shall have to pack a few more for you.....
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 am

For the last few years we have always asked visitors to bring us some nice UK bacon in their checked in cases - it must be cooler bringing it in the hold baggage, and that also means no checks at hand luggage security.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:08 am

BC,

FYI, there is a shop in Kalives (20 K east of Chania) that sells proper bacon?

Jon

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Bacon ,
there is a small cash and carry on the way into old hersonossis that sells proper bacon in vacuum packed 5 kilo bags also good old pork sausages the same.

jimbolou

Postby jimbolou » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:57 pm

All did was tell the forum my good news and it turns into a foodfest mmm food.,
I didnt realise there were so many smugglers on Crete, not that its a bad thing...allegedly. :lol: I always say whats for you can always be packed in a case and shiiped in without telling anyone (allegedly)

If the truth be known its not long now but still ages away until the 1st of May and then the advanture will begin....i hope

Jim
whats for you wont go by you

Return to “Chatter”