Peeling chestnuts

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

Peeling chestnuts

Postby johnincrete » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:21 am

I was given a great recipe for mushroom and chestnut casserole the other day so I went out and bought the chestnuts. The recipe said to cut a cross in the flat part of the chestnut and roast them in the oven for 20 minutes. After they had cooled down, I tried to peel off the brown shell and there the trouble started! Of about 20 chestnuts, I managed to peel only 2 to leave a biggish chunk; the rest just came out by use of a spoon,

Many years ago, on Christmas Eve open house, we used to have chestnuts roasting on the top of the wood-burner and I don't remember having trouble peeling them. I don't have a wood-burner here, just an electric oven and a microwave.. I would love to take a bowl of hot peeled chestnuts when I visit Greek friends at Christmas.

Has anyone got any tips on how to successfully roast and peel chestnuts to leave them whole or at least in big chunks?

SueA

Re: Peeling chestnuts

Postby SueA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 am

They are much easier to peel if you boil them rather than roasting them. Also they are not as dry if you are using them in a recipe. Boil them for about 10 minutes - just test one to see if it's done.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:23 pm

I slice them across the base, then put them in a microwave (6 - 8 at a time) on full power for about 30 secs.
They peel quite easily when still warm, which is why I only do a few at a time.

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Or simply buy a tin with chestnut puree?

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:35 pm

mouche wrote:Or simply buy a tin with chestnut puree?

Not much good in a casserole, or anything else where you actually want to taste them :lol:

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:17 am

I thought that there would be an answer out there!!!
I'll try boiling and microwave although I seem to remember exploding chestnuts in the microwave. Indeed, after roasting in the oven, they were dry.

What would you use chestnut puree* for? Anyone tried the glace* ones that appear at Christmas in some stores?

John

* I must find the chart of how to type accents

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

johnincrete wrote:I seem to remember exploding chestnuts in the microwave

That's why I cut the slit across the base, and only do them for 30 secs MAX.
Don't slice right through, leave the `flap' on the base, it makes them easier to peel.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:00 pm

johnincrete wrote:I must find the chart of how to type accents

Hérè ït îs:
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/finetypo ... /acute.htm

(I'm glad I use a Mac!)
:)

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm

In English I think the most common vowel with an accent is é. I remember a few Alt codes but for "é" I just hold down the Control + Alt keys and type "e" for the accented "é ". That works in most of my programs and generally on forums like LiC but it doesn't work in Word 'cos bl**dy Microsoft have their own, different system (but the Alt system works in Word, too). Alt+0244 will give you "ô", as in rôle

For the most common fractions ¼, ½, ¾ the Alt system works in most places, the numbers being, 0188, 0189 and 0190 respectively.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Ctrl + Alt + e works for me in Word?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:12 am

Just tried it again in Word. For me Ctrl+Alt+e generates a Euro symbol. For a Euro symbol, €, I need to type Ctrl + Alt + 4.

Maybe it depends on whether one uses a UK, US or Greek keyboard layout. My keyboard has characters engraved/printed on keys US style, i.e. @ symbol is shown on Shift + 2 key but that combination on my UK set up is ". If I want the @ symbol I type Shift + " etc., etc.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:18 pm

peebee wrote:
johnincrete wrote:I seem to remember exploding chestnuts in the microwave

That's why I cut the slit across the base, and only do them for 30 secs MAX.
Don't slice right through, leave the `flap' on the base, it makes them easier to peel.

I made some chestnut paté a few days ago. Sliced off the tip of the top, sliced off the bottom, inserted a knife beneath the hard shell and they peeled like magic. The secret, I think, lies in slicing the top and bottom. Take the point about not slicking right through the base, but it didn't seem to matter. Getting rid of the pellicle (brown fluffy stuff) was easy - roast in the oven for about 10 minutes and then rub off the fluff with finger and thumb. Bit hot, but put up with that to get a good result. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Oh God I wasn't going to get involved in this but just go and buy pre packed lovely sweet chestnuts, just as good if not better.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:59 pm

scooby wrote:Oh God I wasn't going to get involved in this but just go and buy pre packed lovely sweet chestnuts, just as good if not better.

I suppose you used to buy pre-packed peeled fruit in the UK too :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:19 pm

filippos wrote:Just tried it again in Word. For me Ctrl+Alt+e generates a Euro symbol. For a Euro symbol, €, I need to type Ctrl + Alt + 4...

I'm not sure I completely understand that statement? What control codes do does depend on both the keyboard layout and the application.

On this forum, if I select UK keyboard, Ctrl + Alt + 4 generates € and Ctrl+Alt+e generates é. If I select Greek keyboard, which is essentially American layout but with Greek letters, then Ctrl + Alt + 4 generates £ and Ctrl+Alt+e generates €.

In Word, it doesn't matter which keyboard I select Ctrl + Alt + 4 generates € and Ctrl+Alt+e generates é.

My version of Word is from Office 2010. My keyboard is intrinsically a UK layout. Keyboards bought in Greece are intrinsically American layout.

Warwick

PS Apologies for the thread drift. I don't really like chestnuts very much so computers are more interesting.

Return to “Chatter”