What's happened to Google Earth?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
BST

Re: What's happened to Google Earth?

Postby BST » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:22 am

For anyone wondering about the usefulness of Facebook. There are some excellent links to interesting and informative Facebook sites which pop up in your newsfeed. I receive updates from Severe Weather Greece and Severe Weather Europe with fantastic photographs of weather phenomena both local and more global. There are also updates on articles from online Greek and English newspapers, local charities, local musical events etc….. I also get updates from a Geology Facebook site and other personal interest sites.
One other big advantage is to do with complaints! If you have tried and failed to complain about something along the normal routes, you generally find that if you post a complaint on the company's Facebook site there is an almost immediate response!!
So apart from keeping in touch with friends and relatives on the other side of the planet, everything is current and "under one roof" so no searching around via a host of bookmarks!
You can also hide your details from the public and use an alias if you chose to, although you are not supposed to.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:54 am

I have absolutely no doubt that some people find it useful, BST, otherwise it wouldn't have the membership that it does. I notice that you use the phrase, "which pop up in your newsfeed". The last thing I want in my life is a newsfeed. I find it fascinating to watch discussion programmes on TV where everybody is talking about how stressful life is because of social media. They are welded to a mobile device constantly being bombarded with information that they must respond to immediately. They don't seem to recognise that it is all information that they have signed up to receive and could live happy fulfilled lives without. Every device I own has an on/off switch. Perhaps it would be better if social media had a similar feature? Perhaps FOMO is now too ingrained in the psyche? Perhaps I find no use for social media because I have never experienced FOMO? Or perhaps social media creates FOMO? Who knows?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 am

Hadn't come across the acronym FOMO previously, Warwick. Nice one!

frankmand

Postby frankmand » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:58 pm

I've recently installed Google Earth Pro (free) on a new desktop and I'm having no problems with photos at all. Perhaps this is part of Google Earth's changes.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:15 pm

frankmand wrote:I've recently installed Google Earth Pro (free) on a new desktop and I'm having no problems with photos at all. Perhaps this is part of Google Earth's changes.

Yes, this is now quite bizarre. I was just about to post that having switched off the photos because they didn't work, when I switched them back on to see if I could find some that have been successfully "migrated", they now all work again. This is on the standard Google Earth version. I'm not sure what the Pro version is, but mine is working again anyway!!!!!

Warwick? Filippos?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:37 pm

That is weird. I suppose it fits with the usual advice of "Turn it off and back on again. Is it working now?".

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Yep. Have closed the app and gone back in and, for now at least, it's still working. Very strange. Am I right in thinking that both Warwick and Filippos also experienced the loss of the photos, or did we just get carried away with a problem that only affected me?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:05 pm

No. It certainly affected me. After reading your post, Andrew, I fired up Google Earth and all the Panoramio photos would not open. Other photos opened normally. I then de-selected Panoramio in the Photos part of Layers and forgot about it. I re-selected Panoramio this morning after reading Frankmand's post and they all worked again. You are not imagining things. It really happened.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 pm

YoMo2 wrote:
frankmand wrote:I've recently installed Google Earth Pro (free) on a new desktop and I'm having no problems with photos at all. Perhaps this is part of Google Earth's changes.

Yes, this is now quite bizarre. I was just about to post that ....................
Warwick? Filippos?
Not a clue. I've been using GEPro for three+ years but haven't looked at it much. Just opened it and nothing seems different from last time I looked: no problem with photos. Maybe they'll finish changing the base version and move on to the Pro subsequently. Who knows? It's Google.

BST

Postby BST » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:15 pm

You make me laugh at times! I don't have to go on to Facebook if I don't wish to. Kilkis, you are forever quoting things you have read about or researched on line by choice. I have chosen what I want to read online and it just comes up in one place when I chose to read it, ie on Facebook. What's the difference? You have to go to a number of sources to find out your news, I go to one source! If I don't want to know, I don't have to go on Facebook. Quite ironic as you spend your life on Living in Crete Forum ie social media! . :D :D :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:38 am

I make no criticism of what other people do, BST. Everybody makes his/her own choices. I simply state my own ideas and why I think like that. Clearly some people find these services useful. I don't. What I would point out is that lots of people complain about the impact Facebook, Twitter etc have on their lives yet they signed up to use them of their own free will. I can't count how many times that I have heard people say that, especially for teenagers, bullying is much worse today because when it was physical at least you could go home and they couldn't touch you but now it's on-line it is there 24-7. People have committed suicide because they have been bullied on social media and yet all they had to do was turn off their account. You write, "I don't have to go on to Facebook if I don't wish to." Sadly it seems some people are fatally addicted.

Warwick

PS I spend a very small fraction of my life on LiC.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:56 am

Kilkis wrote:.........You are not imagining things. It really happened.

Phew! I thought I was losing it.....

Andrew

paul g

Postby paul g » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Here is an email I received from Google Panoramio a little while ago.

Back in 2014, we announced our intention to retire Panoramio in order to invest our efforts into improving photo-sharing experiences directly inside Google Maps. In response to your feedback, we postponed these plans and worked to add features to Maps that better support the level of engagement that you have enjoyed with Panoramio. Today, with photo upload tools in Google Maps and our Local Guides program, we are providing easy options for you to share your photos with an active and growing community. As such, we’ve decided to now close down Panoramio. To make this transition easier, we’ll provide several options to continue sharing photos through other services. If you choose, you can also export all your data and take it somewhere else.
If you link your Panoramio profile with a Google account, all your Panoramio photos will be copied to the Google Album Archive at full resolution after Panoramio goes away. These copied photos will not use any of your Google storage quota. You can visit your Panoramio profile to see what photos you've added.
You must link your Panoramio profile with a Google account for your photos to be automatically copied. Your account is not currently linked with a Google account. If you do not link your account, then your photos will be lost after Panoramio is retired in November 2017. In addition, for your Panoramio photos to keep appearing in Google Maps, after creating your Google account, you must also upgrade to a Google+ account.
After November 4, 2016, you’ll continue to have access to your photos in Panoramio for a year, but you will no longer be able to add new photos, likes, or comments. Below, we’ve included resources to help you manage or export your data.
1) Keep your photos in Album Archive
If you link your Panoramio profile with a Google account, we will automatically copy your Panoramio photos to the Google Album Archive when Panoramio is retired in October 2017.
• You must link your profile before November 2017 for this to occur.
• Copied photos will not use any of your Google storage quota.
• If you link your profile with a Google+ account, then eligible images and your View Counts will be transferred into Google Maps and will be visible when you sign in to Maps and access the Contributions screen from the main menu.
2) Export your photos to a local zip file
1. Sign in to www.panoramio.com
2. Go to your account’s settings page
3. Click the “Get photos” button under the Data Liberation heading
3) Become a Local Guide to keep contributing
To keep adding photos to Google Maps and engage with a growing community of photographers, join the Local Guides program. You can earn points and unlock rewards for photos submitted with a Google account when they are linked to a point of interest or business. Many of your Panoramio photos may already be counted.
If you prefer to no longer share your photos with Google Maps, you can delete your Panoramio photos or your entire account at any time.
• If you don't link your Panoramio account with a Google account, your Panoramio account will be deleted automatically when Panoramio is retired after November 2017.
• You can also choose to delete your Panoramio account (and photos) immediately by logging in, opening "Settings", and clicking the "Delete your account" option. You can also navigate to this page directly by using this link.
• If you delete any photos (or delete your entire account) before Panoramio is retired in November 2017, that content will not be automatically copied to the Google Album Archive and will immediately stop appearing in Google Maps.
Please see our Help Center article for more information and the various options you have to save, transfer, or delete your content. We’ve appreciated your contributions over the years and hope you will continue to share amazing photos with the world.
Thank you,
The Panoramio team
Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
You've received this email to update you about your Panoramio account.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks Paul. This was actually covered earlier in the thread. But the question was more to do with what users would see in Google Earth after these changes had taken place. At one point almost all photos had disappeared. Now they seem to all be present again. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Probably not Google......

Andrew

Return to “Chatter”