Crete driving is appalling !

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Crete driving is appalling !

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:05 pm

90 kph is certainly the normal speed limit on non-dual carriageway National Highways in Greece, outside urban areas, if there is no other limit imposed. 50 kph is the normal limit inside urban areas, unless some other limit is imposed. It starts at the name sign for the urban area and ends at the sign with the name crossed out. It is automatic and does not require there to be a speed limit sign.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:31 pm

I would rather drive in Greece/Crete than in the U.K. As long as one is aware of the 'idiosyncrasies' of Greek drivers, it is fair to say that the roads, (apart from in towns and cities) are quieter, and drivers are less aggressive.

We even had a taxi driver pull up along side of us at traffic lights in Athens (at 4.30am) and ask us if we were lost. - We were! He had seen us at the same traffic lights three times in as many minutes! He told us to follow him and he took us to our destination. He went out of his way to it. I cannot believe that would happen in London!

Re the Police knowing the speed on sections of the National Road, we were 'speed gunned" on a section east of Rethymno a few years ago. Later that evening we were out with Greek friends for dinner when their son and a couple of his friends arrived. - All Traffic Officers. I asked what the speed limit was on the section where we had got 'gunned.' Nobody was sure! Fortunately we never heard any more.....so we must have been within the limit. Of course limits often change over just a few hundred metres if there is a junction....even a minor one.

Unless we are in a desperate rush we now take our time when possible....trying to be considerate drivers, making good use of the inside lane whenever anyone wants to pass us. We are retired after all.....so no need to rush or pick up a speeding fine! - I did that in the UK a few years ago, and ended up going to 'naughty school!' At least my license is still free of points! - Important to me as we still drive regularly in the UK as well as Greece etc.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:56 pm

I agree with Maud that I would much rather drive in Greece than in the UK. Much less chance of being beaten to death for some minor, imagined transgression.

Anyway, Greek driving is much easier. You only have to remember one rule. "THERE ARE NO RULES". Simple.

And if you think Greek driving is bad, take a look at this. For maximum laughs, make sure your sound is turned up............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmS6itkd61U

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:23 pm

I reckon you would be hard pressed to find anywhere more stressful to drive than Kissamos 'high street' during rush hour. A film of this should be used for the hazard awareness part of the UK driving test. (except that you would be clicking the mouse every second.) Two lanes of traffic between two lines of parked cars at random distances from, and orientations to the kerb. The traffic an eclectic mix of locals, tourist hire cars en-route to Balos/ Falassarna, trucks making deliveries, HGVs Buses and coaches and tractors. That's before mentioning the two wheeled traffic, the most hair-raising of which roar past, power sliding as they go only to dive into a gap in front of you that only they can imagine.
Can't wait to get back!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:55 am

Sounds like Mallia...........

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:56 am

I can't see what the problem is? Kydonia and Skalidi in central Chania are exactly like you describe Kissamos high street. You missed out the random distribution of cars triple parked at intervals along it. It is certainly boring, because it can take ages to get to where you want to go. It can be frustrating if you are trying to get to an appointment on time. It isn't any more difficult than driving along a quiet country lane. Driving is the same everywhere. Press pedals, wiggle stick, turn wheel.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I just think some people are more nervous (or worse) drivers than others, driving in Chania is a piece of cake compared to some places.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Al

Postby Al » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Lived here for ten years and had a car all of that time. Was terrified for the first two weeks and intimidated by driving in cities. However a little research and sympathetic thinking have allayed all the fears. Yes there is, or was until recently, a rule asking drivers to give way to the right. It used to be common all over continental Europe. As long as you are aware and careful its not a problem. Overtaking on the National Road is OK as long as drivers move into the side lane and let others pass. One way streets are two way for cyclists and motorcyclists. Double parking is normal. Get used to it. Crossroads with traffic lights have their own quite complex set of conventions, including giving way to pedestrians when you wouldnt in Britain. Little old ladies dressed in black are sacred - a driver who harms one of those earns the wrath of the whole comunity and God Himself. Its different here. I havent had an accident in my ten years here. Enjoy the ride.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:27 pm

I can't see what the problem is? Kydonia and Skalidi in central Chania are exactly like you describe Kissamos high street.

Wrong ! Kissamos main street is much much worse.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Maud wrote:We even had a taxi driver pull up along side of us at traffic lights in Athens (at 4.30am) and ask us if we were lost. - We were! He had seen us at the same traffic lights three times in as many minutes! He told us to follow him and he took us to our destination. He went out of his way to it. I cannot believe that would happen in London!

Actually, it did. But I had stuck a "WE ARE LOST" sign in the back window before reaching central London because I was certain that we'd get lost.
The taxi driver pulled up alongside us. "You really lost?"
"Yes."
"Where ya goin mait?"
"Blackwall Tunnel?"
"Follow me..." whoosh!

And, as this is really off-topic I would add that I'm very comfortable with driving in Crete. I find it very relaxing. I pull over or give way without argument. Most Cretan drivers carry a knife or a gun beneath the seat so I'm not going to argue. I simply go with the flow and if it doesn't flow I sit and wait with a happy smile.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:02 am

You have just restored my faith in London Cabbies SatCure! - Thank you. We didn't have a sign up though, we just looked VERY confused!

One thing noticeable about road accidents on Crete is that they are frequently reported in the press. If someone dies on the National Highway it makes the papers. In the UK it has to be a major accident to make anything apart from the local 'rag.' We are all made aware of road tragedies on Crete......not just by the shrines! it is sad to read about so many accidents that are easily avoidable in many cases. Many seem to be caused by speed, and often only involve one vehicle.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:09 pm

We have been only here for a few days but, I feel totally at home driving here. Having said that, I was always told by the wife that I should not be allowed on the uk road (says she who had an accident every three / four years on average and I did not for many years).
I must admit that I have the same mentality described by Warwick earlier, after driving in many cities all over, I've always assumed that everyone around is out to get me unless I know them. Now that I have read this thread, I don't feel as bad driving the way I do :lol:

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 am

My 10 year-old car has many scrapes and dents most of which occurred while I was parked. In the 10 years before I left England, I had 3 accidents which were not my fault and each car was written off. My advice to drivers here is to remember that the other driver has to get to wherever he is going far quicker than me.

mgm

Postby mgm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 am

Most stressful and very rude city for me is Belgrade, Serbia. I can confess this as Serbian. I used car in few different states and cities (Athens, Berlin, Chicago, Budapest, Copenhagen, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago) but sadly IMHO this city is packed with supreme idiots and jerks on the road. One guy on the Mexican border told me that (according to him) worst road in the world is ring road 8 or something like that in Kuwait :-) So relax and enjoy Crete and Greece :-)

Al

Postby Al » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:07 am

Did Kissamos High Street quite recently, and on a school day, you know, that point in the day when the traffic is at its most congested. Sorry - it wasn't even slightly a problem. Compared to Skalidi in Chania it was a dawdle. We often go to Kissamos for lunch and have never found it to be remarkable traffic-wise. Unless of course someone else knows different! If you want scarey driving, try downtown Cairo.

Return to “Chatter”