First traffic "incident "

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Cundalini

First traffic "incident "

Postby Cundalini » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Well I knew it it was going to happen sooner or later no matter how carefully I drove in Crete and I had been here less than a week ! Some old guy in a grey car in Herakalion came straight out of a side road with out even looking. I managed to swerve around him sounding the horn as I went past and we made minimal contact but contact never the less .In fact so minimal it only took a layer of dirt off the side of the van and not even any paint . Anyhow thinking it was not worth stopping I drove off as the culprit to my eyes in the mirror didn`t seem that bothered and was probably used to it . Five minutes later further up the street waiting at a set of traffic lights waiting to turn right the car in front goes through the red light so I drive up to the red light and wait .Then I start hearing a car horn behind me .I thought to myself " you can wait until the light changes .I `m not going through a red because I can`t see to the left" .By this time I had forgotten about the near accident as I had been concentrating on the traffic so much.The light turned green and just as I was pulling away I see in the left mirror and old guy getting out of a grey car behind me .I thought he was getting out to moan at me for waiting for the green! Anyhow I pulls out carries out up road he is behind me sounding the horn .I thought fed up with this all over waiting at a red light like I am supposed to do.So I slam the brakes on and pull over .He pulls alongside stops and looks in to the passenger side .then drives up the road a bit parks gets out and starts walking down towards me holding a pen and a bit of paper . Then it occurs he could be the guy who caused the near miss or slight collision in the first place .he comes to me and starts jabbering away in Greek .I just say " No understand you " " No speak Greek " and shrugs .he stands there with pen poised over paper expecting my details etc . He was the one who pulled out with out looking ,in fact I could actually see the back of his head as he pulled out as his head was facing the other way ,most probably talking to his wife ! And HE wants me to hand over all my details !!! Anyway I just stand there shrugging he rights down my registration and walks away .So I write down his ! Should I be worried now he will go to the police and come up with pack of lies about foreigners causing accidents in Crete etc etc !? Should I go the Police and explain what happened ?
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Kilkis

Re: First traffic "incident "

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I think I would at least go back to the junction where the incident occurred and check if there is any "Give Way" or "Stop" sign on the side road. If there is photograph it and also photograph the junction from where you approached it. I don't know 100 % for certain but I have a very strong feeling that there is a "give way to the right" rule in Greece as there is in many other EU countries, e.g. France, Netherlands etc. If the junction isn't marked you might be in the wrong. In France, for example, you can be driving on a main road but you have to give way to somebody joining that road from the right, even if they are on a dirt track, unless your road is marked with priority signs.

Many years ago an English friend who worked in the Netherlands came across an unmarked cross roads that was almost completely locked. The first car to arrive at the junction had come from the south heading north. As it crossed the west-to-east lane another car approached from the east, i.e. the first driver's right, so he gave way to it. That driver pulled across the first driver when he saw a driver coming north-to-south, i.e. from his right, so he gave way. My friend arrived at the junction just as the third driver was pulling across the second driver so he pulled across the front of the third driver completing the interlock. The roads were quite busy so traffic had followed quite close behind each of the four cars causing complete gridlock. He switched off his engine, folded his arms and sat there beaming at all the surrounding cars.

Warwick

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think I would at least go back to the junction where the incident occurred and check if there is any "Give Way" or "Stop" sign on the side road. If there is photograph it and also photograph the junction from where you approached it. I don't know 100 % for certain but I have a very strong feeling that there is a "give way to the right" rule in Greece as there is in many other EU countries, e.g. France, Netherlands etc. If the junction isn't marked you might be in the wrong. In France, for example, you can be driving on a main road but you have to give way to somebody joining that road from the right, even if they are on a dirt track, unless your road is marked with priority signs.

Many years ago an English friend who worked in the Netherlands came across an unmarked cross roads that was almost completely locked. The first car to arrive at the junction had come from the south heading north. As it crossed the west-to-east lane another car approached from the east, i.e. the first driver's right, so he gave way to it. That driver pulled across the first driver when he saw a driver coming north-to-south, i.e. from his right, so he gave way. My friend arrived at the junction just as the third driver was pulling across the second driver so he pulled across the front of the third driver completing the interlock. The roads were quite busy so traffic had followed quite close behind each of the four cars causing complete gridlock. He switched off his engine, folded his arms and sat there beaming at all the surrounding cars.

Warwick

Went back to the junction in question where he came out of and there is a stop sign but it has been knocked over and is lying flat on the ground .I have a picture .Surely though it`s common sense to look to your left as you enter a dual carraigeway not just to pull straight out and hope nothing is coming ?
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Can't believe you have had an accident already Cundalini! You need your wits about you, don;t assume that traffic coming out on the right will stop - yes the Greek highway code DOES say that on unmarked/unsigned roads traffic joining on the right has priority. Sounds like you were correct in this instance and the other driver was in the wrong though, if there was a stop sign. Perhaps those of us who are more experienced driving in Crete would cautiously or even subconsciously know that there is always a probability of ANY driver pulling out from the right and act accordingly?!

One unbelievable rule of the Greek highway code which I have only learnt in the last year or so when my son was taking driving lessons:
RED/GREEN Traffic lights - BEWARE!
Always check for oncoming traffic when the light turns Green - if you are first at the green lights and another car nips through a red light in the other direction and you crash, it is YOU who is at fault!! It only applies to the first car.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm not trying to rub it in but I did warn you in the other thread:

Kilkis wrote:...For example, you are driving along a main road and you see a pick-up truck approaching the main road on a side road. Ask yourself, "Are you the driver's friend?" If you are then, obviously, when he gets to the main road he will stop to chat to you. If you aren't then he will pull straight out because you don't exist...

It might be written in a witty way but it wasn't a joke. Everything I wrote in that thread is the truth.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

You are right Warwick, I always assume that a car or truck coming from the right will pullout ... Years ago I was helping a old guy from my village to harvest his olives we were having a raki break in his olive grove on a main road with a T junction , and I asked him if he knew what the STOP sign meant He did'nt .....

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 am

Sorry to hear about your scrape Cundalini. Did you check the other vehicle to see if there was any damage? Maybe when the chap has calmed down he won't do any more about it if he has little or no damage.

I am not sure what to suggest about you reporting the incident. Other people have replied here, but nobody seems to have answered your question. My guess is that whoever is at fault it will fall on you! - Unless you have a good Greek friend to 'fight your corner' you will be at a huge disadvantage. Hopefully you won't hear any more if the grey car isn't scratched or dented.

Keep us posted.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:09 am

My best guess would be that the grey car already had a 2 ft dent in the front from a previous accident. The owner doesn't have comprehensive insurance so couldn't claim when he did the original accident. Therefore, he is now going to try to claim on Cundalini's insurance saying the damage was caused during this accident. Probably also go for two new front shock absorbers, an engine overhaul and a complete respray if he can get away with it.

I have no idea if it is a good idea whether to report it to the police or not. My Greek insurance comes with an emergency number that I have to phone in the case of any accident. They say that someone will attend as fast as possible. I was also told that I must not accept any paper or sign any paper until the insurance guy arrives even if told to do so by a policeman.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 am

Carolina wrote:One unbelievable rule of the Greek highway code which I have only learnt in the last year or so when my son was taking driving lessons:
RED/GREEN Traffic lights - BEWARE!
Always check for oncoming traffic when the light turns Green - if you are first at the green lights and another car nips through a red light in the other direction and you crash, it is YOU who is at fault!! It only applies to the first car.

But as we all know, the Greek highway code is merely a book of not-very-useful suggestions! (as far as Greek drivers are concerned, anyway.)

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:06 pm

You are right about a possible dent in the grey car already Warwick. I had a similar problem many years ago in Kingston on Thames. I was driving around the one way system when a man pulled out of a side road right in to the passenger side of my car. - Goodness only knows what he was thinking, - he didn't even slow down at the junction! (I was on the main road). I pulled over in front of him, (blocking him in), and demanded his insurance details. He started to shout at me, being extremely rude about women drivers! When he saw I had my pen and paper out and was making notes he tried to impress me telling me his 'double barrelled name' and how he was in a rush to an important appointment! I told him I didn't care what his name was, or where he was going! I was not moving my large Granada Estate until he gave me his details! There wasn't much damage to his car bumper, but he had put a dent in my passenger door. I walked around the other side of his Rover and he had a HUGE dent and scratches down the whole length of his passenger side! I promptly asked him if he made a habit of doing damage to vehicles!

I looked around for a witness and heard cheering! As I glanced across the road I realised I was opposite the bus depot? All the drivers were outside cheering me on!!! - I had a whole 'audience!' - The claim was settled by the other chap's insurance within weeks!

It was this experience that made me ask Cundalini what the damage was to the other car! - We learn by experience!
Last edited by Maud on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:01 am

Nice one, Maud. :D :D

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Return to “Chatter”