Singles groups

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Charliesangel

Singles groups

Postby Charliesangel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:01 am

Hi, I've just arrived in Crete, and wondered if there are any social groups for singles.

Kilkis

Re: Singles groups

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am

There's a Crete Dating Site.

Warwick

Charliesangel

Postby Charliesangel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Thank you Warwick...
I was meaning for social gatherings, meals out, coffee meets etc...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Sorry I can't help you there. The site I linked claims to have forums and blogs if you join it so you might have more luck asking on their forum?

I doubt if many social gatherings distinguish themselves by marital status. They are mostly people with some sort of common interest. Some people who attend will be single some will be married. I know there is an active gardening club in the Chania area. There used to be a bridge club but I have no idea if it is still active. There is a photographic group over Apokoronas area. Cretan Corner taverna near Aptera has coffee mornings on a regular basis, sometimes with a guest speaker or some other activity. There are a number of religious groups. I am sure that there must be many other such activities but I don't have any contact details. Probably other forum members who are involved with such groups will supply them.

Perhaps you might get more replies if you asked for info on gatherings of people interested in some specific topic that you are also interested in. It might also be useful if you added a location to your profile. It doesn't need to be precise, e.g. Chania area. I would imagine a coffee morning in Sitia wouldn't be of much interest to you and many people will not deduce your location from other posts you have made.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm

From a post about firewood on another thread Kilkis, it seems that Charliesangels is in the Fournes area.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:31 pm

I realise that, Maud, partly because I responded to the firewood post. I was pointing out that other people wouldn't necessarily deduce her location from other posts and, when seeking location specific information like meetings, people need to know roughly where you are. For example the firewood post and the singles post are on different sections of the forum and not everybody reads every section. Also, perhaps three weeks from now, Charliesangel asks another question and the firewood post is completely forgotten. It happens on here a lot. I realise some members don't want people to know exactly where they are, for a variety of reasons, but it would sometimes be useful if everybody gave a rough idea.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Maggie's "Avrio" coffee morning is held once a month, from 10:30am on the first Friday, at the "Apicorna" café in Kalives (behind "Toko", next to the entrance to the sea front car park). Singles, doubles, triples, gay, sullen - all welcome. :)

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi, Charliesangel. As Satcure says, you'd be welcome at the ApiCorno coffee morning although it's a bit of a trek from Fournes area to Kalyves for coffee and gossip (20Km in a dead straight line and I don't know any roads in Crete that are straight for more than about 100m).
That having been said, there are many other groups, activities and events in Apokoronas which is home to expatriates of several different nationalities - British, Scandinavian, German, French and quite a few others. There's a drama group, a couple of photography clubs, several walking groups, regular music nights/events with both Greek and expatriate bands, film nights and more.
Margarita produces a monthly e-mail newsletter with details of as many forthcoming events as she can find out about plus snippets of local interest - mundane stuff like new shops or places moving or closing. If you'd like to be added to the mailing list e-mail Margarita ( avrio_in_apokoronas@spamex.com ). The next issue is due in 2-3 days, I think.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi, have sent you a pm.

Charliesangel

Postby Charliesangel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks all...
I dont drive, and yet to learn greek in order to learn to drive!
C

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Charliesangel wrote:I dont drive, and yet to learn greek in order to learn to drive!

I can start you off. The greek for "pedal" is "pedál". 8)
I suspect that the majority of driving instructors speak enough English to tell you what to do.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:14 pm

SatCure wrote:...I suspect that the majority of driving instructors speak enough English to tell you what to do.

As far as I know, before you get as far as sitting with a driving instructor you have to pass a written exam and that is all in Greek.

Warwick

Charliesangel

Postby Charliesangel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Thank u Warwick, yes ur right, I was meaning the exam bit.. I know where the pedals are, how to put my hazards on for to stop for Frappe chat in the middle of the road, and how to brake, should I come across a load of sheep! ;)

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm

I was told that the written exam is optionally in English.

Return to “Chatter”