Credit where it is due

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

Credit where it is due

Postby bobscott » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:33 am

This forum has in the past had quite a bit of comment critical of OTE/COSMOTE

We were away from home on the bright sunny morning of Thursday this week when the 'freak' thunderstorm occurred, taking out lots of routers and other equipment particularly in Kokkino Horio. Our router was amongst the casualties as we discovered on getting back home about 3pm. No phone, no internet, water pump control circuit knackered and for some strange reason, although the main circuit breaker was still 'on' as was the digital clock on the cooker. one of the subsidiary breakers controlling the air conditioning and some sockets in the kitchen (don't ask!) was off.

A call on mobile to OTE to report the fault at about 3.30 in the afternoon was quickly dealt with and we were promised that technicians would call to sort out the problem.

At about 12 noon on Friday we got the call from OTE technicians who were in the square at Kokkino Horio. 'We have a lot of problems, only in Kokkino Horio' they said.

They came to house, diagnosed the problem and were gone by 12.30 having supplied us with a new router, got it linked up with the equipment in the DSLAM box etc and left a highly satisfied customer.

Things have changed somewhat from the days of sheep farmers, pliers and handsets! Well done COSMOTE.

Bob.

PS: a friend also fixed the water pump for us, so all is back to normal again.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yin&Yang

Re: Credit where it is due

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Good news and good to know :)
Someday is now : )

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:13 pm

You could fit a surge protector between router and phone socket. If it's affected by a storm surge, simply replace it with your spare (buy two). It won't save you money but it will save hassle if Internet is important to you.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Or buy a surge protector with a circuit breaker that can be reset. Anyone around Kalyves can get one at X-File computers (and maybe at one of the other two computer shops here). I take my computer problems to X-File.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:00 am

filippos wrote:Or buy a surge protector with a circuit breaker that can be reset. Anyone around Kalyves can get one at X-File computers (and maybe at one of the other two computer shops here). I take my computer problems to X-File.

I seem to recall from previous correspondence a persuasive argument by one of our more erudite regular contributors that a surge protector in the case of a lightning strike is pretty useless. But I have to say that to a layman like me, it sounds like a good thing. The only difficulty I have with it is that in the case I outlined above, the main circuit breaker in the house didn't trip but a subsidiary one did. Wonder if a re-settable surge protector fitted to the phone line would work?

I use Virus Phil and pretty sure they would have the same thing as you intimated. I will enquire. Thanks. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am

They are certainly not useless but they are not perfect.

Firstly, as you might expect, lightening induced voltage surges are highly variable depending on the intensity of the strike, how far the strike was from the line and how long the line was from the nearest point to the strike and your property. Similarly surge protection devices have a variety of specifications depending on how much you are prepared to pay. It is quite possible, therefore, to experience a surge that is bigger than the device can cope with.

Secondly most devices act as a crow-bar circuit, i.e they put a momentary short across the line, from line to earth or, more usually, both. This diverts the surge current away from the protected equipment and limits the surge voltage. Because they are passing very high currents they may fail, e.g. because of multiple small surges or one very large surge, but they are designed to fail open circuit. This means that once the protector has failed your equipment will continue to operate but is no longer protected and the next surge could damage it. Some have indicator lights but not all and who checks anyway when it is tucked away behind the PC. Telephone lines can be protected with gas discharge devices which are less likely to fail than the semiconductor devices used to protect power lines.

It is worth noting that the EMC standards for all computing equipment, which would include modems, require such equipment to be tested for surge protection as part of CE marking regulations. There is little point in buying a cheap surge protector that only protects up to a relatively low voltage and current if the equipment is already protected to that level as part of its design.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 am

I seem to recall from previous correspondence a persuasive argument by one of our more erudite regular contributors that a surge protector in the case of a lightning strike is pretty useless.

It depends. Mine has protected my phone line on every occasion (except one day when my wife unplugged it from the power socket, thus disconnecting its ground connection!)

But I have to say that to a layman like me, it sounds like a good thing. The only difficulty I have with it is that in the case I outlined above, the main circuit breaker in the house didn't trip but a subsidiary one did. Wonder if a re-settable surge protector fitted to the phone line would work?

There's no such thing as a phone line protector that is resettable. Even if there was, it would offer no significant protection because the lightning spike would be over before the resettable breaker could trip. The only type that works is the sacrificial type. They need to be replaced fairly often but that can be more convenient than replacing the router every time.

See this page for more info.
http://www.glodark.com/lightn.htm

Return to “Chatter”